This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What Amazing History/Science Fact do you want everyone to know about?

2»

Comments

• Ruth Belville sold people the Time. People would pay to look at her watch, which was accurately set to the Greenwitch Mean Time. She took over the business from her mother in 1892, whom herself took it over from her late husband in 1856, and continued it to 1940, retiring at the age of 86.

Her clock is now personally kept by the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers
  • The "S" in the names of Ulysses S. Grant and Harry S Truman doesn't stand for anything. Grant's given name was Hiram Ulysses Grant but a clerical error when he enrolled at West Point changed it and he never bothered doing anything about it. Truman's parent's just named him Harry S Truman, so his name is correctly written without a period after the S.
  • Ruth Belville sold people the Time. People would pay to look at her watch, which was accurately set to the Greenwitch Mean Time. She took over the business from her mother in 1892, whom herself took it over from her late husband in 1856, and continued it to 1940, retiring at the age of 86.

Her clock is now personally kept by the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers
    do they worship clocks
  • I think he was saying that the "turning out for the best" was debatable.
    I can sort of see that, I mean there have been some cock ups along the way. But if you take into account a small island in the arse end of nowhere rose to become the largest empire in the world, was a major force in European and global politics and continues to be a major political influence isn't bad when you consider that we don't like each other.
    you guys messed hardcore with the Indian Indians
    Yep.
    I can sort of see that, I mean there have been some cock ups along the way. But if you take into account a small island in the arse end of nowhere rose to become the largest empire in the world, was a major force in European and global politics and continues to be a major political influence isn't bad when you consider that we don't like each other.
    Also, the native American Indians. Spain was downright humane compared to the shit the Brits pulled.
  • AmpAmp
    edited June 2013
    I think he was saying that the "turning out for the best" was debatable.
    Also, the native American Indians. Spain was downright humane compared to the shit the Brits pulled.
    Lord above we were monsters back in the day! Its a good thing war crimes didn't exist during the colonial period otherwise we would have been in a sticky situation.

Edit; Well I would not say that Spain was human they were certainly rather shitty in a lot of what they did. It would be better to say that the Europeans were a large bunch of dicks from the 17th to the 20th century.

In other news, Simon de Montford was killed by a catapult weilded by a group of young ladies. This caused great mirth amoungst the Cathars.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • Edit; Well I would not say that Spain was human they were certainly rather shitty in a lot of what they did. It would be better to say that the Europeans were a large bunch of dicks from the 17th to the 20th century.
    They were also dicks to each other. I mean, despite having the oldest treaty in the world, the Brits still fucked the Portuguese over with the 1890 Ultimatum. Portugal at the time was too small and weak to really do much about it, given that Britain was pretty much at its height in power at that time.
  • Edit; Well I would not say that Spain was human they were certainly rather shitty in a lot of what they did. It would be better to say that the Europeans were a large bunch of dicks from the 17th to the 20th century.
    They were also dicks to each other. I mean, despite having the oldest treaty in the world, the Brits still fucked the Portuguese over with the 1890 Ultimatum. Portugal at the time was too small and weak to really do much about it, given that Britain was pretty much at its height in power at that time.
    Yeah the whole of Eurpoean politics/history from that time is a nightmare. It alwaysed amused me that half the generals in the Crimian war still called the Enemy the French, much to the embaressment of their French allies and staff officers.