This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade

HOLY SHIT.
40K MMOTPS IN 2015.
THERE'S NO INFORMATION.
OTHER THAN IT'S A 3RD PERSON SHOOTER AND IT'S SPACE MARINES/ORKS/ELDAR/CHAOS MARINES.
GOD DAMNIT.

Pete, Wyatt, surely you must share my feels.

HOLY SHIT THE WEBSITE.

HOLY. SHIT. WHY AM I THIS EXCITED FOR NO INFORMATION!?

Comments

• Y NO GUARDSMANS.

SKETCH DISAPPOINT.

STILL YAY WARHAMS.
  • All you guys are suckers for theme. Likely going to be shit game. I should take a piece of poop and tape a picture of a space marine to it and sell it.
  • All you guys are suckers for theme. Likely going to be shit game. I should take a piece of poop and tape a picture of a space marine to it and sell it.
  • 2015? Well, I guess I'll mark my calendar to start caring in a year and a half.
  • Y NO GUARDSMANS.
    I want f2p Warhammer 40k game where unpaying players are all Imperial Guard, while paying let's you be space marine or some other cool thing.

Champion of Nergal right there. High quality. Probably way cheaper than the GW stuff too.

I have tentative excitement. Every single GW licensed game so far has been crap.

Actually, DoW wasn't half bad. And there was that DS game that was basically an X-Com clone.

• Space Marine is cool too.
  • edited June 2013
    I fully admit to being suckers for the theme. Warhams is totally fucking sweet, and I will take the warhams I can get because I like Warhams and I like experiencing warhams-related things.

Shootin' orks fer teh emperors fulfills my utility function.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Warhams IS totally fucking sweet. They should just make movies or a TV series.
  • Warhams IS totally fucking sweet. They should just make movies or a TV series.
    There might be some animated movies or something like that. And they might be shit.

There might be some animated movies or something like that. And they might be shit.

Hmm. People seem to really love the fuck out of Warhammer (40K), but not much besides the actual miniatures game seems to be non-shit. Yet, everyone still gets crazy excited...

• edited June 2013
    I would fucking love a Band of Brothers/Sharpe style miniseries about the Imperial Guard. I would watch that on repeat until my eyes fell out.
    Warhams IS totally fucking sweet. They should just make movies or a TV series.

Hmm. People seem to really love the fuck out of Warhammer (40K), but not much besides the actual miniatures game seems to be non-shit. Yet, everyone still gets crazy excited...
    Some of the books are pretty good military sci-fi, like Gaunt's Ghosts or the Cain series. As military sci-fi is a very specific itch and most of the other stuff which scratches it is basically super icky right wing militant wank material, I heartily recommend it.

Also, I know you personally don't care for Dawn of War, but that second game provides an actually enjoyable co-op RTS-like experience, which is basically something that doesn't exist, plus it's a Relic RTS and they know exactly what they are doing.

And though the Spess Marin game isn't really your speed in terms of gameplay, it's very innovative and has awesome game feel, in the sense that every part of the gameplay really enforces the feeling that you are a fuckoff giant space asshole wearing a tank and swinging a chainsaw. It's just viscerally satisfying on a deep level.
  • Hmm. People seem to really love the fuck out of Warhammer (40K), but not much besides the actual miniatures game seems to be non-shit. Yet, everyone still gets crazy excited...
    Not sure how popular they actually are, but the table top rpgs have their fans. And based on my short experience with Only War, they are not too bad. Also Dawn of Wars are somewhat generally liked. And Space Marine was fun, although nothing too special.

So it's not just the miniatures.

Why? In the 20 or so years that Warhammer has been out, there's been zero story progression. Unless you set the setting Pre-Heresey, nothing ever changes.

• edited June 2013
    Dark Heresy is kind of totally sweet, though really janky (the rules have gotten better over time with the new games). If you play as-written it's one of the few games I can think of that actually has decent and relatively balanced gunfighting and okay morale stuff; I cribbed a lot of basic mechanics from it for Hardboiled.

It sort of feels like what AD&D 2nd would have been like had it been written with guns in mind; yes, it's overly complex and terribly unbalanced, but there is so much rich goodness in the rules, like how Fighters get fiefs and armies at 9th level, or rangers are just followed around by random animals, that when you play with them as written it's hard not to love it.

I also really like high-lethality RPGs, and Dark Heresy is second only to Recon in it's willingness to frag the whole party in a random encounter with a low level mook.
  • I have one of the warhammer 40k cgi movies... It is crap.
  • Some of the books are pretty good military sci-fi, like Gaunt's Ghosts or the Cain series. As military sci-fi is a very specific itch and most of the other stuff which scratches it is basically super icky right wing militant wank material, I heartily recommend it.
    I think Scott would like the Cain series more - while Gaunt's Ghosts is the better written of the two (relatively speaking, anyway, they're both written well enough), the Cain series is basically Harry Flashman/Blackadder meets the Grimdark of 40K.

• edited June 2013
    I admit I'm a sucker for the mythos.
    I'm all:
    SPURRCE MURHURNS.

Granted, all the games except the DoW franchise have been unilaterally terrible. TERRIBLE (haven't played Space Marine, but it looked not-shit). But it's mostly because GW is a terrible company that hates it's customers, but all the customers have a meth-like addiction to it. Show me a newly released, unpainted space marine mini and I still get a halfsie. Pete's the same way. We love almost everything about the game except the expense, the company, and the fact that they cock up the rules for the tabletop so often and throw everything out of balance.

What they have the potential to do here is take two things I love: Massive online first-person shooters in a persistent world in a faction versus faction type environment, and the skin of Warhammer 40k. If they make it F2P and follow Planetside 2's business model of not being pay-to-win, they could have a goddamned gold mine on their hands.

Knowing absolutely nothing about the game other than the basic information about it's existence, my expectations are really tempered by past performance.

EDIT: Incidentally, the F2P as guardsmen would be hilarious, but a bad idea in the long run.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • I would suggest you guys play the Warhammer LCG, but nobody plays it. Only Star Wars, Game of Thrones, and Netrunner have traction, and Netrunner has multiple times more than the others.
  • edited June 2013
    I would suggest you guys play the Warhammer LCG, but nobody plays it. Only Star Wars, Game of Thrones, and Netrunner have traction, and Netrunner has multiple times more than the others.
    I've played that a few times, back when I used to semi-regularly spend time at the Games workshop painting/playing open days. Was always fucking terrible at it, though.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • New Space Marine models? Fuck the halfsies - I'm fully hard. Nipples too. It's terrible. I don't know what the fuck it is about the whole mythos, but it's just the coolest shit to ever be cool. It's all of my jams.

If only GW didn't suck every ball that ever was and ever will be. There's no goddamn reason for any of those models to be that expensive.

I'm actually working on divesting myself of my armies. It's taking some effort to get there mentally, but I honestly just haven't touched them in years. I keep saying I'm going to - but I know deep down that it's probably not going to happen.
  • Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • edited June 2013
    GW is a terrible company that hates it's customers,
    True
    ... but all the customers have a meth-like addiction to it.
    Double true.

40k is an example of an IP with an amazing following and awesome potential, but it's owned and managed by a bunch of either stupid, or malicious corporate sods. If they spent just %30 less time dicking over their fan base and put that time into making some decent new content they would be like %200 more awesome.

Space marine was good times. The single player campaign wasn't all that great but the rock/paper/scissors dynamic of the multiplayer was fun. The guns felt like they had some real weight, and the character customization was flexible enough to let you look like almost any chapter you could want.

Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • I'm more exited for the Slitherine 40k game which will be turn-based and very similar to the tabletop origins without the money sink.
  • I'm more exited for the Slitherine 40k game which will be turn-based and very similar to the tabletop origins without the money sink.
    If I was so inclined to get back into miniature gaming and painting, Infinity is way cheaper and has some interesting mechanics. It's also faster so you don't have to spend a half an hour setting up and then four more playing.
  • You guys are missing another important 40k property coming to PCs soon: Space Hulk!