This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Edward Snowden

Comments

• Never mind, previous post was in error
  • Daikun said:
    Man, I had no idea Russia was getting THAT bad.
  • Obama. Y U NO PARDON?
  • If Obama pardons him on his last day in office, I'll make it my personal mission to, at some point in the rest of my life, buy both of them a beer.
  • Rym said:

If Obama pardons him on his last day in office, I'll make it my personal mission to, at some point in the rest of my life, buy both of them a beer.

That would be the most baller move ever.
  • If Obama doesn't, and we manage to vote in Bernie, you think he won't?

Every time we elect a shitty president, Edward Snowden gets four more years.
  • Last day of office. POTUS calls a press conference out of the blue.

Pardons every nonviolent felon in the entire US. Pulls his SM-57s out of the podium and drops them. Lights a cigarette and walks away.
  • Except he'd have to actually pardon each one, no broad brush strokes possible. Couldn't physically sign his name that many times. Also, fuck ID thieves, non violent child molesters, bank fraud dudes, the few white collar criminals in jail, embezzlers, etc etc etc.
  • Yeah but if we could release all the dudes who just got caught with too much weed and shit like that we could save a lot of money regardless of the moral reasons.
  • AaronC said:

Except he'd have to actually pardon each one, no broad brush strokes possible. Couldn't physically sign his name that many times. Also, fuck ID thieves, non violent child molesters, bank fraud dudes, the few white collar criminals in jail, embezzlers, etc etc etc.

That's why the president has an autopen.
  • edited October 2015
    Apreche said:

That's why the president has an autopen.

I don't think that would count for presidential pardons. I have no basis for this except a gut feeling.

Edit: And my gut feeling is a lie, maybe.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • To nitpick now, the President is only able to grant pardons for Federal Crimes.

I'm down with releasing and granting clemency to people who were convicted of crimes once that crime is decriminalized. In Oregon recreational marijuana is now legal with certain restrictions I think we should let out people who's crime was the consumption or buying of weed.
  • AaronC said:

To nitpick now, the President is only able to grant pardons for Federal Crimes.

I'm down with releasing and granting clemency to people who were convicted of crimes once that crime is decriminalized. In Oregon recreational marijuana is now legal with certain restrictions I think we should let out people who's crime was the consumption or buying of weed.

Edward Snowden is accused of federal crimes. Many many non-violent drug dealers are guilty of federal crimes as well.
  • Since Snowden's whistle blowing, has the NSA received any repercussions from anyone/ group? If not, why? Have I missed something?
  • Apreche said:

Edward Snowden is accused of federal crimes. Many many non-violent drug dealers are guilty of federal crimes as well.

Understood. It doesn't change the impracticality of Rym's suggestion.

• Yound Edward gets a break from the EU parliament. Nobody's compelled to do anything by that though, right?
  • edited April 2016
    Huh. Okay.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I feel as if this movie would have been better with fewer stars (because I'm spotting them from shows and movies that I've already watched).
    Why Nicholas Cage?

Also Joseph Gordon-Levitt seems to be playing the character more awkwardly than the real Edward Snowden appears, seems slightly off.
  • Joseph Gordon-Levitt sounds more like someone doing a decent impression of Edward Snowden than someone convincingly portraying him.
  • Eh, it'll do. Maybe it'll raise awareness, maybe it'll make a few bucks. Very little harm will come of it.
  • edited May 2016
    Sadly, I'm pretty sure they'll leave the part out where he was a bit of a weeb, and working for his mate's company selling Anime prints, because that bit doesn't make him look like Jason Bourne crossed with an extra-smart movie version of Zuckerberg.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2016
    Thank you! I recently delved into the rabbit hole that is Snowden's teenage years and it's quite a thing. There's a few posts where he spells out things like Sumimasen and Arigatou. Major weeb cringe. This was only a small bit of what I found it turns out. Also, I don't know if anyone saw my post in the Otakon thread, but he was at Scrym's first Otakon. After reading 6 pages of his posts on Ars, I feel like he would fit in here pretty well. He's pretty into fighting games (Tekken) and DDR. Then there's the piracy and religion flamewars. And I only got through a little over 1/3 of his posts. Here's one of the more amusing threads: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=649691 He's Hooha.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • He had to speak out because NSA-Senpai noticed everyone.

Also, someone needs to make a script or plugin that replaces Edward Snowden with Wolfking Awesomefox.
  • Pegu said:
    Hey, that robot looks familiar! I remember seeing another story (this one, which I posted on Things of Your Day months ago) where a similar robot was used for a cancer patient who couldn't attend school.
  • There was one in my office a while back, and some managers were using it to telecommute. I don't know if it's still here.