This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How do you find what game to play next?

arrarr
edited June 2013 in Video Games
I had a discussion with some friends the other day that made me realize that I never actually thought about how we find the games we play. I have an unplayed backlog a mile long so it's a nontrivial task to figure out what do do next.

Read reviews and sort by score, rummage through your unplayed Steam list, play whatever your friends are playing? How do you all decide?

Comments

• Divination
  • edited June 2013
    I have a nervous breakdown anytime I decide I have free time and can pick any game to play. Which ends up taking the amount of time I could play a game. Problem solved!
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • We stand around and discuss games for 10 to 15 minutes until someone slaps something on the table and starts setting it up.
  • EA tells me.
  • EA tells me.
  • I usually just go with my gut.
  • Either I see something on Steam that catches my interest or I see the game on a gaming website.
  • I pay some attention to the gaming press, so I usually know what's coming up, and what I'm interested in. And sometimes, I'll just look at steam and the like, if something interests me and the price is right, I'll go for it. That's how I got into Payday and Warframe, for example.
  • I'll look at Polygon and RPS once or twice a month, but I generally just rely on word of mouth and the rule of 3's. (If three friends whose opinions I trust tell me to check out something, I'll check it out)
  • Podcasts are how I hear of things. Humble Bundles and other sales are how I acquire things. Sometimes I'll just flip through Steam and see something that looks fun, throw it on my wishlist, and wait for a sale.
  • Podcasts are how I hear of things. Humble Bundles and other sales are how I acquire things. Sometimes I'll just flip through Steam and see something that looks fun, throw it on my wishlist, and wait for a sale.
    Podcasts are about half of my gaming press intake - In particular, Giantbomb and RebelFM.

I like to look through recommendation of old games. I pick one I don't know about, then I do a bit of googling to see if it's still worth playing nowadays or if it's just nolstalgia that makes people recommend them. Then I get a copy of the game and apply any quick patches/fixes/compatibility changes that make it better.
  • Three games from that collection that I wish were on GOG:

1. Grim Fandango
    2. Monkey Island 3 & 4
    3. Heart of Darkness
  • Three games from that collection that I wish were on GOG:

1. Grim Fandango
    2. Monkey Island 3 & 4
    3. Heart of Darkness
    1. Tribes 2
    2. TIE Fighter (or X-Wing Alliance)
    3. Mechwarrior 2 (and expansions)
  • Gah I miss playing Battlefield 2142 with my brother. It was just about the only time we'd ever get along.
  • Tribes 2 would require other people playing. But I would welcome it.

Sadly I think we will be getting no old LucasArts games anytime soon.
  • Years ago, I had a spreadsheet that tracked average review score and average half.com sale price of every game I wanted to play from the past few years. During a college probability & statistics course I worked in some rating system (I think it was a z-score rank or something along those lines?) that accounted for both factors and told me the optimal game to go buy. Yep.

That didn't last once free time became even more of a premium commodity. Now I just look into my vast backlog and it is more art than science what pops into my queue.
  • Tribes 2 would require other people playing. But I would welcome it.

Sadly I think we will be getting no old LucasArts games ever.
    :(
  • I have a nervous breakdown anytime I decide I have free time and can pick any game to play. Which ends up taking the amount of time I could play a game. Problem solved!
    ME. Same with reading a book or trying to find something on Netflix or whatever when I don't have a particular show in mind.