This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Little Witch Academia

edited June 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we review the short Little Witch Academia (リトルウィッチアカデミア), produced by Trigger as part of the Young Animator Training Project. It'd delightful, well-animated, and has a little bit of pony in it. Along the way, Rym GeekBites The Old Man's Lamp (おぢいさんのランプ) and Scott GeekBites the Adventure Time comics.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• You know, you really should've linked the official video for LWA in the shownotes. You have the name in there twice so it's easy to shove both links in. And really, who the fuck wants to read Wikipedia when the video is so short and sweet?
  • edited June 2013
    I agree that LWA might not make an A show at 26 episodes - it wouldn't get the same budget/minute, for starters, so there couldn't be as many action scenes, nor is it going to plumb great psychological or cultural depths - but I think it would be pretty damn fun and I'd definitely watch. The blend of stuff it does is actually kind of rare, particularly the consistently strong characters and the fact that it's fanservice-free. Last I heard they were talking about doing a 13-episode season or maybe a handful of OAVs. But it's all dependent on how Trigger's first full show, Kill la Kill, does this fall.

Also, I'd be pretty damn surprised if the people who did LWA aren't aware of MLP. The director's done fanart of a bunch of western shows, including multiple MLaaTR, Foster's, and PPG characters, that someone posted on /a/ a few months ago when this came out. Hell, he did a half dozen fan animations of PPG. That's dedication.

By the way, South Park dropped to 1 run of 10 episodes per year now. It's coming out sometime this fall.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • edited June 2013
    Jesus fuck. was that boring. It was just cutesy Harry Potter. Why do you people like it as anything but a companion piece to Inferno Cop?
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Jesus fuck. was that boring. It was just cutesy Harry Potter. Why do you people like it as anything but a companion piece to Inferno Cop?
    It would be awesome even if Inferno Cop didn't exist. Do you have no soul?
  • Jesus fuck. was that boring. It was just cutesy Harry Potter. Why do you people like it as anything but a companion piece to Inferno Cop?
    No, I just have a minimum threshold for unoriginality.

Have I out-jaded Scott?
    No, I just have a minimum threshold for unoriginality.

Have I out-jaded Scott?
    Nobody ever said it was original. It's just a terrific execution of a known formula. Something new is great, but execution matters most. Great characters, great animation, great design. Well done. Especially well done for young animators. If they keep making it like that, the future of anime is bright.
  • The characters and design aren't that good. It didn't have anything that made it stand out from everything else. Were I following the Judge an Anime by its Cover Doctrine, I wouldn't have even watched it.

Great animation, though. Keep an eye on this key animator. He's going places.
  • The characters and design aren't that good. It didn't have anything that made it stand out from everything else. Were I following the Judge an Anime by its Cover Doctrine, I wouldn't have even watched it.

You are correct I wouldn't have watched it based on cover judgement. It's just like Madoka. I watched it because the Internet corrected my judgement. Tons of tweets about this one. Glad I listened to them tweets.
  • edited June 2013
    I really liked Little Witch Academia. When it finished, I was left with the feeling that, while the pacing and development were very well timed, it could have been extended into being a full movie and I wouldn't have cared. I would have liked to learn a little more about their world and about the girls in general. Also
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I liked that they kept it short. I think that story stretched too far would have been a mistake. Otherwise, I was looking forward to LWA since it's inception and it met my expectations!
  • For those who haven't watched LWA yet, do know that it's not going to be up on that Youtube channel for much longer, so if you would like to support the anime industry, watch it while it's up.

Also, Greg, you're a fucking idiot. If you were following that doctrine (and you shouldn't because it's stupid), you'd have watched it when it came out. You should be watching the Anime Mirai shorts purely because they're simple original anime shorts with some budget. Know Your Creators much?
    It's just like Madoka.
    Because you're an idiot who doesn't know his creators. Or any anime made in the last decade!
  • I hadn't heard of Anime Mirai, and hadn't seen anything by them. The reason I watched it, however, was because it was made by Trigger, so I think I'm following the Know Your Creators doctrine relatively well.
  • Anime Mirai isn't a company, it's an initiative to get young directors from various companies to make things because old anime people will succumb to the old soon.
  • them
    Ahahahahahahahaha.

As Ruffas said, it's the Young Animator Training Project, renamed since the second year or so. You should be watching them if only because they're all 25 minutes a piece and the good to bad ratio is higher than average for anime. You should at the least have seen The Old Man's Lamp (back in mah day long before the wars we called it Ojii-san no Lamp and we were better for it darned kids), Wasurenagumo and Little Witch Academia. Those are the best for each year imo. Minding My Own Business is also pretty cool. Death Billiards lacked the one thing it needed to be great, zawa zawa. The rest are charming. I haven't caught Ryo and Alv Rezul yet though, those might suck.
  • edited June 2013
    I know. I listened to the episode. I just wasn't sure what pronoun to refer to it with.
    Post edited by Greg on

You are correct I wouldn't have watched it based on cover judgement. It's just like Madoka. I watched it because the Internet corrected my judgement. Tons of tweets about this one. Glad I listened to them tweets.
    Are you not fond of The Magical Girl genre, Scott? :o
  • You know what it's like? It's like 1 part Gurren Lagaan, 1 part AKB0048, and 1 part Mahou Tsukai Tai.

I only like certain magical girl shows, and I have to verify they are the right kind before I watch them.
  • Are you not fond of The Magical Girl genre, Scott? :o
    I want to see a magical Scott show, where a bunch of pretty high school girl stereotypes do a dance, and magically turn into Scott Rubin to be indifferent and jaded to evil.

I want to see a magical Scott show, where a bunch of pretty high school girl stereotypes do a dance, and magically turn into Scott Rubin to be indifferent and jaded to evil.
    I, at the same time, both want to see don't want to see the transformation scene in this.
    I, at the same time, both want to see don't want to see the transformation scene in this.
    We will see Rubin naked for a slight second before the costume fully covers him.

I didn't know I needed this until right now.

I only like certain magical girl shows, and I have to verify they are the right kind before I watch them.
    Define "The Right Kind". Do you mean "Good"? Shouldn't that just be a general rule for any genre?
  • Ok yeah, LWA director confirmed for hardcore MLP fan. Twilicorn and Derpy sighted.
  • edited July 2013
    A Kickstarter campaign for a second episode is coming next week.

Will they make enough? Will it get produced even if not fully funded? Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • A Kickstarter campaign for a second episode is coming next week.

Will they make enough? Will it get produced even if not fully funded? Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen.
  • edited July 2013
    Kickstarter is up. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1311401276/little-witch-academia-2

They generally did a good job setting tiers, I think. The $50 tier looks great for the average fan - Blu-Ray and art book. Decent rewards for upper tiers as well although the $200 tier is a little vague.

I think they're leaving some cash on the table by not defining limited edition vs. standard edition BD, by only letting fans partly fund the episode, and most importantly by not putting on a stretch goal for a bonus short -> third episode. And frankly, they're probably being too honest by implying they've got ~200k already. Most of the big movie Kickstarter projects have had some other money people involved somehow, but it's always remained opaque to the casual reader. Still, not going to penalize them for being honest, personally.

I kinda giggled when I saw that 150k goal. 1.5 hours in, with the whole east coast asleep already, and it's already north of 40k.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • What the fuck is this bullshit? There is no tier for an HD download? Fuck your blu-rays. The only download is standard def? I really want to Kickstart this, but I literally want none of the tiers. I'll just pirate the blu-ray rip.
  • Backed!

Kind of disappointed, though, that they went SD download so people would push for the Bluray. I hope an HD download is in the works for a stretch goal.