This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii is now dead

edited June 2013 in Video Games
Just got a message on my Wii.

Nintendo is killing Nintendo Network support for Wii at the end of the month. Most importantly "Data exchange between Wii friends on WiiConnect24".

Wow! The Wii U hasn't even been out for a year and they are killing online gaming for the Wii? I thought it was bad enough that porting your games to a new Wii U kills their online game component (no network support in Wii mode) but this???

Comments

• This is the kind of problem you get when Nintendo doesn't understand the Internet. To the credit of Sony and Microsoft, they did it right. XBox Live is the same XBox Live on 360 and XBOne and PC. If they came out with an XB1000 tomorrow, it would be the same system again.

Nintendo, on the other hand, sets up new online systems for everything. Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS, DSi, they all have separate and non-connecting online systems. Heck, a lot of their games have separate online systems. As a result, they keep turning them off to save money. If they just had Nintendo Online you could have the same friend code, same everything across all Nintendo systems. Just one of myriad items for the stupid Nintendo pile.
  • Definitely a failure on Nintendo's part, and I think we will all agree on that. So moving on, what games were you actually playing on the Wii using online multiplayer? When Smash Bros Brawl came out with 100% broken online multiplayer, I got so pissed I didn't turn my Wii on for 2 years, and never did try to play online again.

Are they also killing stuff like their WiiWare store and such?
  • I think the actual online multiplayer will still work. They seem to just be shutting down things like the News channel, Everybody Votes, sending Wii messages to friends, etc. I randomly played Dr. Mario online with my Wii some days ago. Not only did it work, there were real people playing.
  • No more Animal Crossing: City Folk. Same with the medal system among friends in the Metroid trilogy. Also no more message board functionality between Wiis.

Not sure about Brawl or Mario Kart.
  • edited June 2013
    From a business standpoint, planned obsolescence is brilliant. Whether it's ethical and whether it's "good" for gaming are really separate questions.

You have to remember that these companies don't want you to keep playing old games. The more you play a six-year-old game you already paid for, the less you are buying new games. In an executive's mind, a game has to be good enough that everybody wants it but still have a quality that quickly propels you to the next purchase.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Planned obsolescence has to be balanced though. You want to keep people loyal to your brand, so they need to still feel like their product works *enough* several years down the line. Having blatantly obvious obsolescence makes your brand seem too greedy and "evil" & you restrict yourself to the cultists. You pretty much need to keep 2-3 generations working at any one time.
  • Time to hack the fuck out of your Wii if you haven't already!
  • I get when people were complaining about Microsoft and the 24 Hour Internet Log-In Policy, Nintendo was thinking. "Oh, it's The Internet's fault that people are mad about this!"
  • I get when people were complaining about Microsoft and the 24 Hour Internet Log-In Policy, Nintendo was thinking. "Oh, it's The Internet's fault that people are mad about this!"
    You win best post of today.