This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Torchbearer

Comments

• Can't wait to get mine. Although my gaming group are new to TTRPGs. :/
  • edited October 2013
    Is there any info on when a copy can be purchased? I didn't get in on the kickstarter but I wanna grab a copy.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Is there any info on when a copy can be purchased? I didn't get in on the kickstarter but I wanna grab a copy.
    In the latest Kickstarter update, Luke said he'd announce a release date sometime around 10/21 (or maybe that is the release date?): http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burningwheel/torchbearer/posts
  • I'm kinda of surprised the Thief and Paladin didn't make it into the final version. Also, it would be nice if Elves/Dwarves/Halflings had at least one additional class.
  • They're Kickstarter rewards. They're still being worked on.
  • Well, in the old days, Elf was a class and race. That was it. You were a fighter, or you were an elf.
  • edited October 2013
    It will probably be the week of October 21st.
    Ah I checked the updates a day early.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I have my copy, torches need to be ignited once I read this tome.
  • Got my book, holy shit is this nice. :D
  • I'm kinda of surprised the Thief and Paladin didn't make it into the final version. Also, it would be nice if Elves/Dwarves/Halflings had at least one additional class.
    Personally I'm happy with what's provided seeing as limitations are the spice of this game and keep it focused (like Haiku), but I've got this pang telling me to do some class hacks for variety...
  • Well, in the old days, Elf was a class and race. That was it. You were a fighter, or you were an elf.
    Eeeeyup. That's what they're going for here.

Yeah, Paladin and Thief were KS rewards. I think I still have the doc kicking around somewhere.

• Mine is in the mail.
  • Ran the first session of House of the Three Squires with three players. They got roughed up badly—lots of conditions—and decided to camp in the third room. They successfully camped, but only managed to recover one condition between them. They decided to get out with the loot they found so far and head back to town.

Things are just going to get worse down there while they're gone.

But this time they'll have rewards (fate and persona) which will make a world of difference.

Thor described the first session of Torchbearer of being similar Dungeon Crawl Classics's character funnel.
  • Almost gruesome. At least they're alive. How are your players taking it?

I can't wait to see the first sessions really start rolling out. There seems to be a wee bit of a little death spiral for folks until they get the system underfoot. At the bottom of that spiral is epiphany.
  • Just got my Burning Con e-mail! Shrine of the Insect God: drawn on lined notebook paper. Character sheets: TBD. I'm very curious how this will work as a one-shot. Either the dungeon will grind the characters into dust, or I will have to improvise for two hours after the characters recover the MacGuffin.
  • I am running the same one-shot from last year, but with the ante upped. I will be disappointed if at least one race is not wiped out by the end of the session.
  • edited October 2013
    I am running the same one-shot from last year, but with the ante upped. I will be disappointed if at least one race is not wiped out by the end of the session.
    As in previous years, I'll try to get into it. I've only got 2nd priority for that slot.

Post edited by okeefe on
  • I finally read the TB rules and it all looks like some incredibly cool shit to me!! I was also thinking the system would work incredibly well for a Call of Cthulhu game; conditions being sanity damage, adventure phase being an "investigation" phase, camping a "research" phase.
  • I finally read the TB rules and it all looks like some incredibly cool shit to me!! I was also thinking the system would work incredibly well for a Call of Cthulhu game; conditions being sanity damage, adventure phase being an "investigation" phase, camping a "research" phase.
    Say no to hacks. Just play the game as written.

If you want to play Call of Cthulhu, there's a game for that. It's called Call of Cthulhu.

If you want to play Call of Cthulhu, there's a game for that. It's called Call of Cthulhu.
    It's not really a hack so much as a re-skin.

Adventurers delving into dungeons of horrors == Cthulhu.

• Just create Cthulhu mythos monsters. BAM! You have a CoC game.
  • Say no to hacks. Just play the game as written.

Say, wasn't Torchbearer initially idea for a Mouse Guard hack?

• I was also thinking the system would work incredibly well for a Call of Cthulhu game
    No one's going to stop you from hacking it, but you should play the game as written until you've throughly explored it and understand all its moving parts. You might be happier just adapting that three-phase play structure to CoC.
  • Just create Cthulhu mythos monsters. BAM! You have a CoC game.
    Order of Might
    8. Elder Gods
  • Is this available everywhere?
  • The game will be available after we have shipped all backer rewards. I will announce a release date. It will probably be the week of October 21st.
    It costs 3 gold and 5 silver.
  • edited October 2013
    It looks like the pdf is available for sale. Book sales will happen very soon; their last kickstarter update said this or next week. If you get the book, I'll bet the pdf is either included or is an inexpensive addon.
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • It'd be cool to have a Cthulhu themed game set in the age of Abdul Alhazred, "author" of the Necronomicon. He could task the party to go out and seek different relics of the ancient ones to complete his tome.
  • It'd be cool to have a Cthulhu themed game set in the age of Abdul Alhazred, "author" of the Necronomicon. He could task the party to go out and seek different relics of the ancient ones to complete his tome.
    I think Abdul Alhazred was really just the Randolph Carter of his age.