This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Google Glass First Look

Comments

• Sounds like an overly complicated routine for next to no value. Why not just continue using your earbuds on your phone?
    Very poor interface and playback control, especially lock screen playback control.
    Both BeyondPod and Amazon Media Player handle this nicely and intuitively, plus amazon media player doesn't require an account so you can use it to just play local music if you desire.
    I am new to Android. I actually bought a Nexus 4 just b/c of Glass (if I'm already spending $1500, I might as well switch and get full value), so thank you for the tip! Will check it out. All of my music is synched up to Google Play but I guess I would do it all over for a better interface w/ Amazon, or move local songs over for something like BeyondPod.

No Problem, ignore Google Play since they have one fatal flaw, custom tags are not recognized. If you are someone like me who has most of their collection from bandcamp musicians this is a HUGE problem.

Also a nice perk is that if I were to come over to your house and log into my account, I can then download all the music to your computer without DRM.
  • If I play a podcast in beyond pod, then sync it with my computer will the podcast play on my PC at the point where I left off on the phone?
    I have tried a ton of android podcast managers (doggcatcher, pocketcasts, ...) and settled on beyondpod as well. As far as I have seen, all android podcast apps stay away from syncing to computers. The better ones offer cross device sync (http://www.beyondpod.mobi/android/help/CDSHelp.htm, http://www.shiftyjelly.com/android/pocketcastst) though so your podcasts automatically sync position between your phone/tablet/whatever else you can run the app on.

Who even listens to podcasts at their computer? I listen exclusively while walking or traveling.
  • edited August 2013
    Who even listens to podcasts at their computer? I listen exclusively while walking or traveling.
    Programmers.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Who even listens to podcasts at their computer? I listen exclusively while walking or traveling.
    Programmers.
    I'm a programmer and I don't. Too distracting so I can't focus on actually, you know, programming.

I mostly listen while commuting, exercising, walking the dog, or doing various household chores.
  • The tweets I get notifications for on Glass are only the people I have set up to notify my phone (in addition to tweets @ me).
  • Probably going to buy this mixer to replace the old analogue one that finally died.

http://www.mackie.com/products/onyx1220i/

I bought that thing in 2007, so it's had a good run.
  • Who even listens to podcasts at their computer? I listen exclusively while walking or traveling.
    Programmers.
    I can't code while listening to a podcast - programming is a language/word processing task and I can only do one of those at once. I do listen to music, though.
  • Yeah, I find podcasts are mostly good for transportation and manual labour.
  • I tend to listen to podcasts from the start of the morning up to getting out of the car at work then resume listening after work till I start doing other media stuff on my desktop at home so have not needed to sync across devices.

I personally use Beyondpod as well. As for music, I really like using Jetaudio.

If you want that exact iPod sync everything experience then Doubletwist plus all the add ons would work.
  • I program and listen to podcasts while working. I don't always pay too close attention to whats going on however.

Beyondpod is also my go to app as well. It went a bit wonky on my a few months ago, it marked a few podcasts as un-listened to and started downloading old episodes of it. I still have no idea what went wrong there.
  • My Nexus S is coming to the end of the contract in october. Don't know what to go for next. I might just hold onto the handset and go for a cheap contract.
  • Nexus 4, right? It's big, but it's pretty much all there is.
  • someone is designing a extra battery pack for glass that is shaped like eye glass holders. might even add extra storage to it too
    http://www.dvice.com/2013-8-2/google-glass-battery-add-might-triple-its-battery-life
  • someone is designing a extra battery pack for glass that is shaped like eye glass holders. might even add extra storage to it too
    http://www.dvice.com/2013-8-2/google-glass-battery-add-might-triple-its-battery-life
    NOPE

• I use TuneSync for iTunes to Android music transfer and found I could make a podcast playlist for the last 10 downloads, which works fine.
  • So I took a look at the Glass "Mirror" API. I can actually work with this. Right now you can't easily develop apps that are installed onto the Glass itself. However, you can make Glasswares. The Glasswares are basically just web apps that happen to get input and output from glass instead of from a web browser. The problem is that they won't really work when there is no Internet access.
    NOPE

This is worse than Rym's cord idea? i don't think it would look that dumb
    NOPE
    I'm with you there. This looks silly. I actually think Google Glass (by itself) looks pretty snazzy, design-wise, but this just brings it down.

How has the battery held up for people that have been using it? Are the specs pretty accurate (about one day)? I've heard mixed reviews.
  • I'd throw one of those on if I planned on doing video, but I'd go without most of the time, I think.
  • I'd throw one of those on if I planned on doing video, but I'd go without most of the time, I think.
    It is no good for any video that isn't insanely short. Seriously.
  • How has the battery held up for people that have been using it? Are the specs pretty accurate (about one day)? I've heard mixed reviews.
    As Scott has said, video is your main battery-killer. My experiences with the battery have been significantly better than the buzz I hear online. Lots of people complaining about 4-hour battery life. Most days when I use it, it lasts 8+ hours because I am not constantly fiddling with the thing.

• Probably going to buy this mixer to replace the old analogue one that finally died.

Hey why not get a PreSonus AudioBox

The Tascam US-200 is also an acceptable alternative.
  • A new challenger is approaching.
    Hmm this seems to be more what I was hoping for however it does look more derpy then Google Glass - a major hurdle which needs to be crossed for public acceptance.

I think Google Glass is currently limited to see how the acceptance of wearing technology on the face will be taken.

Then as miniaturisation of this technology and battery improvement occurs they could more easily make a device with the abilities shown in this video.

Plus you can play CS Office at your own office.
  • Yeah, I agree that the derpiness factor is only going to improve as all of these devices go through a few iterations. Personally, I don't find Glass to be very derpy, but it would have a much better chance of catching on with the masses if it was even more discrete.
  • RymRym
    edited August 2013
    The Tascam US-200 is also an acceptable alternative.
    Those are both useless.

1. USB, so I can't record too many channels.
    2. No mixer functionality.

I need the former for when we have guests or do video. I need the latter for when we patch remote people in or do live events.

I need a real mixer, and I need firewire. I have a Firestudio Mobile that can interface with any old analogue mixer (like we're doing now), but I wouldn't mind replacing it with an integrated firewire mixer.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • USB 1 was two track only, USB 2.0 can do multitracking. Both interfaces would use a software DAW mixer (software is included w/ the PreSonus), so yes you can also mix. I suggested the PreSonus cause it's better pre-amps than the Mackie and it's less money.
    I'm torn. It has all the stuff I wish Google Glass had, but it looks kind of goofy.
    I'm torn. It has all the stuff I wish Google Glass had, but it looks kind of goofy.
    That is the dev version the real one looks nice.