This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

SaltyBet

Comments

• What about OCR on the names from the video?
    Of course, but that's just silly.

• edited August 2013
    I don't get why they they're so bothered by bots.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited August 2013
    The domain saltybot.com is available..

Edit: I'd like to append (amend?) my previous suggestion.. bet on saltybots rather than people playing saltybet. Maybe have a game like robocode where you try to make the best saltybot.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • What do people mean exactly when they say a character is fake? Also, where did the MEXI* originate from? Like MEXIHEALTH and MEXIBEAM?
  • The domain saltybot.com is available..

Edit: I'd like to append (amend?) my previous suggestion.. bet on saltybots rather than people playing saltybet. Maybe have a game like robocode where you try to make the best saltybot.
    What about SaltyBotBots?
  • edited August 2013
    TV Tropes forum thread on SaltyBet
    What do people mean exactly when they say a character is fake?
    Basically, sometimes there's multiple versions of the same character, or versions of a character that aren't at all like the actual character in its original medium; often these are made as jokes or parodies.

In particular, "fake" normally means a reskin or remake of an existing character, but with worse stats/moves/AI/etc. Consequently, although Rare Akuma was intended as a joke, Rare Akuma is generally considered to be "real".
    Also, where did the MEXI* originate from? Like MEXIHEALTH and MEXIBEAM?
    Apparently a bunch of the characters (especially the SSJ ones from DBZ) were ripped from Brazilian games, have Portugese voice acting, and are pretty broken. Twitch.tv chat doesn't care about the difference between Brazil and Mexico (or Portugese and Spanish), and so the meme was born.
  • What do people mean exactly when they say a character is fake? Also, where did the MEXI* originate from? Like MEXIHEALTH and MEXIBEAM?
    Because MUGEN characters can be made by anyone, there will often be multiple versions of different characters, and some of them will not be as good as others. This is most easily seen with Shuma Gorath; there's a version with some insane, overpowered rushdown AI and attacks, and one that gets chumped by the weakest of characters. Most of the time, claims of a character being "fake" are just ruses by people trying to get people to bet on a known loser to even out the odds. Obviously, the opposite is a character who's "Real".

And Mexi, as a quantifier, comes from the fact that many characters from Mexican creators are oddly overpowered. I know of at least one character (I think it's one of the Buus, or maybe a Goku) that has an attack that deals lethal chip damage.
  • If I make Magen characters, will they put them in salty bet? If we make enough good ones the quality of matches and difficulty of decisions will go way up. I probably can only make one, but if we all make one each...
  • If I make Magen characters, will they put them in salty bet? If we make enough good ones the quality of matches and difficulty of decisions will go way up. I probably can only make one, but if we all make one each...
    If you send characters to Salty (Actually, I think it's CherryWarrior), he'll add them, regardless of the source.
    If you send characters to Salty (Actually, I think it's CherryWarrior), he'll add them, regardless of the source.
    I guess it doesn't matter if they are 1 hit kill GODS or never attack crap since there are plenty of each already in there.

It might be really interesting to make a bunch of really quick one-off characters. That will flood the game with unknowns. People will have to bet based on the looks. Conservative players won't touch those bets. Those who do will be rewarded with an upset or a big loss.
  • Well, betting a dollar is usually safe due to rounding.
  • Indeed. I always place a bet, though quite often it will only be one dollar.
  • I often find that I can not bet enough money to get more than a couple of dollars return: the battles are one-sided and the people playing have tons of money already.

Interesting note: there are TONS of MLP characters out there, but I've never seen one in a saltebet match.

More importantly, never bet on bad animation. But always bet on 3D Chun Li...
  • 3D Chun Li is super dangerous, but not invincible. Always bet Killer Whale. Collect your dollar.
  • Are the characters from Gunstar Heroes in it? If not.. .I know what must be done...
  • RymRym
    edited August 2013
    If someone makes Rym and Scott I will bring you on the show to say hi to everyone and give you any animations/images/rotos you need.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • If someone makes Rym and Scott I will bring you on the show to say hi to everyone and give you any animations/images/rotos you need.
    Rym's alternate pallet would be "long hair kun"
  • Nah, that's Rym's main pallette. Rym's alternate would be tiara + stache.
  • Nah, that's Rym's main pallette. Rym's alternate would be tiara + stache.
    But that name of that would be "....Rym waits...."
  • My favorite fight so-far was between some DBZ character and a Captain America that kept using some sort of attack where a chopper would come down and a girl would shoot the person. It was a dream comeback because of broken beam attacks (while everything but the beam did almost nothing).
  • I've been betting 10 dollars on each round. I pick the least likely looking person based on pretty much nothing. So:

A. If they turn out to be a popular bet, and they win, I get a dollar or two.

B. If they turn out to be a popular bet, and they lose, I lose ten dollars.

C. If they turn out to be an unpopular bet, and they win, I'm in the fucking money.

D. If they turn out to be an unpopular bet, and they lose, I lose ten dollars.

So far A and C have kept my money increasing over time. The few times C has happened, it's brought in hundreds of dollars, which is fin for paying off all the 10 dollar bets in between. I think the most I made in a single fight was about 600 dollars (Mr. Burns kicked ass!).

One dollar bets don't interest me, as then I don't feel invested enough in the result.
  • I watched a match where a turtle got "stuck" blocking (didn't move or attack for the rest of the match) but taking no damage from his super-weak opponent.
  • I watched a match where a turtle got "stuck" blocking (didn't move or attack for the rest of the match) but taking no damage from his super-weak opponent.
    Happens. My favorites are when a flying character suddenly realizes his people need him and flies off the top of the screen for a Timer Scam.
  • I just had my first decent upset win; $80 for a $10 bet on Ryo.
  • edited August 2013
    Also, I just watched Dio defeat Alien Queen at 20:1 against; I was about to bet $10 on Dio but betting time ended.
  • If someone makes Rym and Scott I will bring you on the show to say hi to everyone and give you any animations/images/rotos you need.
    If I even remotely had the time I would do this in a heartbeat.

After I added Cherno Alpha.
  • Admittedly, Cherno Alpha doesn't need a lot of animations.
  • Pretty much just punch, piston punch, incinerate, and sweet rave party.

• What do people mean when they say stuff like "Bet hitbox?"
  • If a character is tiny they have a small hit box. If their opponent has shooty attacks they will often miss short characters, unless the short character jumps.