This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What do you wish more people understood?

Comments

• The importance of universal healthcare and why the government should order all health care providers to be on a universal records keeping management system that will save billions of dollars.

Also just because you don't know how apply for some sort of benefits or entitlement doesn't mean you shouldn't try. There are people who know how and are paid to help you. Just keep fucking asking.
  • edited August 2013
    Themselves.
    That shit is quantum though. The act of understanding yourself changes you, meaning you no longer understand yourself.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Themselves.
    That shit is quantum though. The act of understanding yourself changes you, meaning you no longer understand yourself.
    The first step to understanding recursion is the first step to understanding recursion.
  • Vaccines.

Holy shit, vaccines.
  • ... why the government should order all health care providers to be on a universal records keeping management system that will save billions of dollars.
    hahahahhahaha!

• ... why the government should order all health care providers to be on a universal records keeping management system that will save billions of dollars.
    hahahahhahaha!

Hahahaha what? I know you don't live in the US, so I don't assume you know all the issues we have with our healthcare system here. However, one well-known issue is that the overhead associated with all the different recrods keeping and billing systems are a huge expense that benefits no one except for maybe the medical transcription industry.
  • There would be a lot less stupid shit on the internet if people understood how game development cycles worked.
    Valve seems set on "Heat death of the universe." Then again, that hypothesis is now defunct, who knew?

I wish people would keep up with advancements in scientific hypotheses.
    hahahahhahaha!

Hahahaha what? I know you don't live in the US, so I don't assume you know all the issues we have with our healthcare system here. However, one well-known issue is that the overhead associated with all the different recrods keeping and billing systems are a huge expense that benefits no one except for maybe the medical transcription industry.
    It was also a well known issue in the UK with the NHS. A plan was agreed on: a unified patient records database for the entire country. After spending something like 12 billion pounds on it, they scrapped the whole thing (and scrapping it cost another few billion). This is with a SINGLE health care provider and with a government mandated program. They same thing in the USA would be orders of magnitude more complex and difficult and more expensive to pull off.

In the long run it might save billions of dollars, but would first cost billions of dollars.

Personally I think all patients should be allowed to have access to every bit of data about them from anywhere, and keep it all in their own database. If a new doctor or company wanted to see it, they'd ask the patient, not try to wrangle any single centralized system. That said, I'm not any kind of expert.

But seriously, google about for the NHS IT Project.
  • Thumb drives the doctors can just add to, or rf bracelets.
  • edited August 2013
    Thumb drives the doctors can just add to
    I worked in Medical Records for a bit. This is the maybe the least smelly poop, but it still has tons of problems. Ideal would be a medical records tablet issued to each patient by their insurer or w/e.

Medicine and IT don't play so well together.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Also, hip hop. When I tell people that I'm a rapper it usually ends the conversation. Most people where I live knows much about or cares to learn about the genre. When somebody does have something to say it's usually something like "Yeah, I listen to deep, meaningful stuff... You know, like Kid Cudi."
    EVAN

COME TO CHICAGO

WE NEED YOU
  • edited August 2013
    Ideal would be a medical records tablet issued to each patient by their insurer or w/e.
    Only problem with that is there are things in your record that you as a patient are not allowed to see - doctor's comments and the like. So you can't even carry your whole medical record with you.
    Just standardizing health records is ludicrously hard because the array of things that can go into one is simply staggering, and health care organizations have had decades or even centuries to create their own ways of doing things.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Depression =/= being depressed. Two different things. One can happen during the duration of the other. But they are not the same.
  • ^ Ohmigod this. I see a lot of bad comedians rant against the depressed (y'know, the types that want to be old man Carlin but lack the nuances that made old man Carlin "meh") and I don't even hold it against them anymore because I know they and I am not talking about the same thing. There's so much miscommunication and poor word choice on the issue that I don't even get mad anymore, I just sigh at the whole state of affairs.
  • I assume that if you have to advertise aggressively enough that I saw your ad and remembered it, your product probably sucks.
    I normally feel similarly about advertising, but consider the following: I need to buy, say, a stick of deodorant. Which particular brand doesn't really matter to me; they're all effectively equal. They all cost (basically) the same, and they all function (basically) equally well. But I need to buy something. I'm confronted with 15 different kinds in the deodorant aisle, so which do I buy? Old Spice, because they have funny commercials? Degree, because that's what I got last time? Random, because fuck you? The choice is arbitrary, so I don't mind making a decision on arbitrary rationale.
  • I do raw research from scratch every time I buy anything. I assume anything I knew about previously is obsolete.
    Yes I do this! Whether it be for computer parts, gadgets or cars.

Personally I think all patients should be allowed to have access to every bit of data about them from anywhere, and keep it all in their own database. If a new doctor or company wanted to see it, they'd ask the patient, not try to wrangle any single centralized system. That said, I'm not any kind of expert.
    This would be nice but even as a Veterinarian my clients aren't allowed to read my notes. The few times that they have, they have misunderstood comments as judgements rather than noting issues that need to be dealt with.

A really small example -
    I wrote out that a patient was obese in regards to the body condition score but discussed with the owner that the patient might be getting a little chubby. She was fine after the consult but when she read through the history (a new nurse printed it out for her). She refused to come back tot he clinic and posted bullshit remarks about the practice's medical capacity on social media.

I can't imagine how badly this would go for Medical doctors.
  • Personal notes by doctors can go in the doctor's personal database, linked to the patient they are seeing. It's a very simple issue.

However, I'm not an expert. All I know is that I'd love to have access to my own health records, rather than having to call up practices in other cities, trying to remember when or where I was treated 10 years ago.
  • Also, hip hop. When I tell people that I'm a rapper it usually ends the conversation. Most people where I live knows much about or cares to learn about the genre. When somebody does have something to say it's usually something like "Yeah, I listen to deep, meaningful stuff... You know, like Kid Cudi."
    EVAN

COME TO CHICAGO

WE NEED YOU
    Get me a job and a place to stay. I has no mahney.
  • Personal notes by doctors can go in the doctor's personal database, linked to the patient they are seeing. It's a very simple issue.

However, I'm not an expert. All I know is that I'd love to have access to my own health records, rather than having to call up practices in other cities, trying to remember when or where I was treated 10 years ago.
    Sorry I missed your initial intention. I get what you mean and yes that would be awesome, it could also be used properly in other health science fields to remove the requirement of current archaic paper reminders done manually and inefficiently.

Even filling out forms ahead of schedule via PGP secured email or booking consult times that get directly set to a shared Google calendar.

I pushed the latter 2 at my last 2 practices and presented how it would improve efficiency and decrease cost but both managers did not agree that it was helpful.
  • Thumb drives the doctors can just add to, or rf bracelets.
    The bracelet might work, but I don't think the thumb drive would. Lets say you are swimming and get hit by a jet-ski. How are the doctors going to see that on that thumb drive is a big red warning you are allergic to say morphine, when the drive in in your pants on the beach?

Also right now in the US medical record are semi-private information kept by hospitals. You typically wave your rights to them giving that information away when you sign your take in paperwork. However as I understand one hospital has to ask another hospital for that information. That's why every time you do your paperwork you have to answer the same questions.

But lets say there is one standardized system for medical records. And of course because this is the US that standard would be done in committee and not by IT professionals. Be honest with yourself and think of the worst case scenarios for this database. Hackers post every ones medical information to a public database in Russia. Government access allows them to see you have drugs in your system and prosecute you for it, etc.

When thinking of these systems I feel it is very important look at both the best and worse case for it's use. Because history shows it more often the worst case.
  • edited August 2013
    Make the system but do not put it on the internet. Use a dial in system with login credentials.

Or make it a network with ISDN lines for dedicated access, T1s for hospital and large practices. Use special terminals as well. AND make sure the systems do not allow things like thumb drives to be used. Records can be printed and altered by staff but not downloaded.

Too many systems are out on the public internet that should not be.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I didn't mean to start a debate or argument about health care records. My response was entirely down to the "save everyone billions" point from Ro. She works with health care records all the time, probably, so a centralized system would probably save her loads of time and the veterans benefits loads of money. It's understandable what she wants others to understand. In the real world, combining many different existing databases into a single system is never easy, and if possible often prohibitively expensive.
  • Depression =/= being depressed. Two different things. One can happen during the duration of the other. But they are not the same.
  • I wish more people understood Madoka Magica.
  • I wish more people understood that the Veterinary industry is excessively overpopulated which has diluted the professionalism, income, worth to society and the economy.
    I dun wanna. I really just wanna watch light, funny, slice of life shows for the forseeable future. No action thrillers, no suspenseful drama fantasies, just a little something that will make me laugh.
    I dun wanna. I really just wanna watch light, funny, slice of life shows for the forseeable future. No action thrillers, no suspenseful drama fantasies, just a little something that will make me laugh.
    And that's fine. I don't think he was talking about people who haven't seen Madoka, so much as people who have but still don't get it.
  • I dunno. All too often I've discovered that when people say "I want more people to understand (XYZ entertainment property)" they actually mean "I want more people to agree with my opinion about (elements of/the entirety of XYZ entertainment property)."

Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, but you can't rely on other people to just "get it", or wish for more people to think the same. You gotta put your opinion out there, and talk people around to it. The fault isn't on other people for not being a brain-clone of you, quit bitching, and start talking to people like equals lacking knowledge, rather than inferiors lacking intelligence.
  • That we are all big meat sacks with expiration dates.