This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mighty No. 9 (Mega Man reincarnated)

Comments

• edited September 2013
    I imagine they can't afford next-gen dev kits. Maybe they'll change it though.
    Let's take a look at the price of next-gen dev kits, shall we?

Xbox One: Every console is a dev kit, so it should cost them a minimum of one console to acquire it.

PS4: Sony is loaning them to developers for free.

They have no excuse not to go next-gen.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • edited September 2013
    They specifically addressed it in one of their blog posts.
    Q: Will you / can you / please make a PS4 / Xbox One version of Mighty No. 9! Since you aren't coming out until 2015, why not aim for those systems first, instead of PS3 / Xbox 360 / Wii U?

It's no surprise to us that this is far and away the most popular single type of question we get, as next-gen versions of Mighty No. 9 are something we've dreamed about ourselves ever since we first began work on the game.

First, a little history: One of our most important considerations before we launched our Kickstarter, and before we could confirm that our idea here would resonate with the fans, was budgeting and cost: We had to be as certain as we possibly could that we could deliver on -everything- we were promising for the initial and stretch goals we were setting. Since, like many (most?) developers, we don't have any next-gen titles under our belt yet, we thought it best to stick with what we do know, so we could make promises to our fans with confidence -- especially for what we were promising coming out of the gate. We know being able to offer next-gen versions would dramatically increase our funding, but we felt the worst thing we could possibly do was dangle the prospect of next-gen Mighty No. 9 in front of our fans and capitalize on their excitement as we head into this fall's big new system launches, only to disappoint them in 2015 when the game is delayed, or didn't live up to the higher aesthetic expectations that come with games for those systems due to problems and costs we weren't able to anticipate.

All that said, we would definitely love to see Mighty No. 9 on as many platforms as possible, and we agree the next-gen systems are a natural fit if we can make the numbers work! If we continue to see more and more people asking for next-gen versions, and then if we're able to set and clear stretch goal funding levels that include enough margin for error that we can say with confidence we can deliver on quality versions for these platforms -- that's what it would take to make next-gen versions of Mighty No. 9 a reality. This is the number one thing we will be watching for and discussing internally in the next couple weeks, so please, continue to let us know what you think, and thanks for all your feedback so far.

Oh, and as for prioritizing the current systems over next-gen, in addition to the above, there were other important considerations about our audience: We want Mighty No. 9 to reach as many fans -- old and new -- as it possibly can, all over the world. As hardcore gamers ourselves, we'll definitely have next-gen systems hooked up to our TVs by the spring of 2015, and current-gen systems still somewhere in the house (assuming the next-gen systems don't come up with some sort of eventual solution for playing current-gen games), but we didn't think it would be fair to assume the same of everyone who would want to play our game, since even the current-gen systems are a relatively expensive luxury item in many households.
    It's a pretty lame reason, but it is a reason. Yeah, they probably do know Xbox 360 and PS3 "better" but if you're making the game for PC then I expect you would have little trouble porting it to XBONE and PS4 since their architecture is very similar to a PC. I imagine the tools would be analogous. Although dev tools for brand new systems have a history of being kinda shitty in their first year.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • New stretch goals include PS4 and Xbone, as well as a co-op mode with both Beck & Call playable with different abilities. With 22 days, I think we might hit it. :)
  • I wish the one that came with a box actually had a physical copy of the game rather than just an empty box.
  • New stretch goals include PS4 and Xbone, as well as a co-op mode with both Beck & Call playable with different abilities. With 22 days, I think we might hit it. :)
    $3.3 million?

I sure hope they make it. While the campaign came off to a great start, it has really slowed down recently.
  • I mean, all campaigns are slower than their initial momentum of people rushing in. They've still been steadily gaining each day. And the end of the campaign almost always has a huge rush of more people. For 21 days left, they have a great start and one of the best people to bet on.
  • edited September 2013
    True, the last thing I kickstarted was about $20k behind their goal. They got that and a bit more in like the last 24-48 hours. I've seen others with similar results.
  • There's always the influx of people like me who hit "remind me" and don't pledge until the last 48 hours. Also I suspect there will be a bump in media coverage if it starts coming down to the wire.
  • There's always the influx of people like me who hit "remind me" and don't pledge until the last 48 hours. Also I suspect there will be a bump in media coverage if it starts coming down to the wire.
    I am one of those people. Eventually I'll pledge mah $20.
  • I tend to up my rewards towards the end. I think we'll see some 20$ pledges get super excited and jump to 100$ for Beta access.
  • I already jumped my initial $60 to $99.
  • edited September 2013
    I tend to up my rewards towards the end.
    Why wait? Wouldn't it be easier to just do it now?
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • I am definitely gonna go for the 250 eventually :P
  • Two big pieces of news!

#1: Console stretch goal reached!

#2: The developers of Mega Man 9 wish to help out Inafune with this accompanying Kickstarter!
  • Yep. I'm supes excited.
    $3.3 million?

I sure hope they make it. While the campaign came off to a great start, it has really slowed down recently.
    Wow. 21 hours to go and $3.2 million. They might actually make it.
    $3.3 million?

Wow. 21 hours to go and $3.2 million. They might actually make it.
    So, they have Paypal donations that aren't counted in the counter on the page, but do go towards stretch goals. Look at the stretch goals image, they surpassed 3.3 million already.

• Call E was the winner of the vote. That was my second choice after F.
  • edited October 2013
    Apparently I missed the E image because I would have chose that. I chose A because I likes the design and she seemed like someone that would be like super smart robot girl. F was just too generic anime character as were a lot of the others aside from brony centaur.
  • I only went in on the $20 level. Wish I pledged more, but gots to save da monies.
  • With the Paypal donations, it hit over $4 million and every stretch goal. So great.
  • I didn't end up donating because it's gonna be like two years until it comes out and I don't have much $$$ anyway. Glad it's coming out for 3DS though.
  • Seems some MN9 backers are losing their shit over this lady that got a job because she knows some of the people working on the game. They're afraid shes gonna make the game about feminism instead of a mega man successor based on some anecdotal evidence from a update comment and a twitter post she made. I was linked to a video by some asshole on twitter which has a rather biased amateur reporter:

• I'm sensing some scope drift has occurred here.
  • I'm sensing some scope drift has occurred here.

It appears so.
  • Okay, I guess this isn't scope drift since they're still making a game.