This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mighty No. 9 (Mega Man reincarnated)

13»

Comments

• Release date! Finally!

• So there's a few reviews out so far and the response is that the game isn't very good.
  • MATATAT said:

So there's a few reviews out so far and the response is that the game isn't very good.

That's bad for Inafune's rep.
  • I played the beta a long time ago and liked it. We'll see how I feel about the full version.

I suspect that Mega Man diehards will have a good time, but anyone who wants real innovation on that formula will be disappointed.
  • Megaman fans are in the same problem space that 2D Castlevania fans are. They love the formula, and want to play increasingly challenging versions of that formula in huge spaces forever. I think one of the main reasons there aren't more 2D Castlevanias is that to make it interesting to someone who's played them before, you have to either break from the formula (they'll hate it) or make it impossible from the beginning (no one who isn't already hardcore CAN play it).
  • Rym said:

Megaman fans are in the same problem space that 2D Castlevania fans are. They love the formula, and want to play increasingly challenging versions of that formula in huge spaces forever. I think one of the main reasons there aren't more 2D Castlevanias is that to make it interesting to someone who's played them before, you have to either break from the formula (they'll hate it) or make it impossible from the beginning (no one who isn't already hardcore CAN play it).

Rym said:

Megaman fans are in the same problem space that 2D Castlevania fans are. They love the formula, and want to play increasingly challenging versions of that formula in huge spaces forever. I think one of the main reasons there aren't more 2D Castlevanias is that to make it interesting to someone who's played them before, you have to either break from the formula (they'll hate it) or make it impossible from the beginning (no one who isn't already hardcore CAN play it).

Even the pro doesn't want to play something that's hard from the beginning. People love playing Symphony of the Night over and over again, and it doesn't change at all.

They could just make games that are basically the same as Symphony of the Night, or Super Metroid, Or Mega Man 2, just with new maps, new characters, etc.

If they want to scale the games up then all you have to do is make them bigger. Think about how hard Mega Man 2 Wily stages are. Ok, now imagine a Mega Man game that just has twice as many Wily stages, and they keep getting harder.

You can also achieve this by "cheating". Symphony of the Night is so successful because it cheats twice. First it gives you the same map upside down. Then it lets you play with Richter. They made a game, then multiplied its effective size by 4 without having to actually make a new map.

The main reason there aren't more I think is simply that to make a really good one takes a pretty big development effort. Looking at how many crappy indie platformers/Metroidvanias are out there makes you really appreciate how great the good ones are. If you have talented developers, you can't justify the budget and time to make such a game. Even if you make the greatest thing that is better than Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night, how much will it sell? How much can you charge for it? If everyone who wants it, buys it, how many people is that?
  • At the same time, they keep playing SotN because of nostalgia and its' purity as the original.

Do they replay all the (excellent) DS ones? Even I was annoyed at the easy start those games had after a couple.
  • Rym said:

At the same time, they keep playing SotN because of nostalgia and its' purity as the original.

Do they replay all the (excellent) DS ones? Even I was annoyed at the easy start those games had after a couple.

Yeah, people who are into Metroidvanias are playing them.
  • Are they though? Or do they keep going back to SotN?

How come most of the speedruns and nonsense are SotN and not the newer ones? How come they stopped making newer ones? I suspect each one had fewer sales than the previous one, at least on the DS.
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

At the same time, they keep playing SotN because of nostalgia and its' purity as the original.

Yeah, people who are into Metroidvanias are playing them.
    Can confirm. Have played some of the GBA/DS castlevanias multiple times and I think I've at least stared reruns on all of them.

• edited June 2016
    Rym said:

Are they though? Or do they keep going back to SotN?

How come most of the speedruns and nonsense are SotN and not the newer ones? How come they stopped making newer ones? I suspect each one had fewer sales than the previous one, at least on the DS.

All handheld games that aren't like, Pokemon, are seeing pretty sad sales. Phones. This is last year's news.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/05/konami-shifts-from-consoles-to-mobile-gaming-as-its-main-platform/
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Shovel Knight scratched a lot of these itches for me, and "replay Shovel Knight" is rapidly climbing up my handheld game to-do list, as they keep adding new characters to play through the game with. They released one months ago (maybe even a year) and are adding at least 2 more very soon.
  • I can see how someone would say that about Shovel Knight, but that game didn't do it for me. I played it once through and then have not had any interest in launching it ever again.
  • I enjoyed Shovel Knight, but after I beat it all I wanted was to go play Dawn of Sorrow again.
  • If I ever have a company, I'm hiring the social media person who runs the Sonic account.
  • Apreche said:

If I ever have a company, I'm hiring the social media person who runs the Sonic account.

I assume they aren't a social media person. Gun to my head I'd say someone's teenage kid.
  • Apreche said:

I can see how someone would say that about Shovel Knight, but that game didn't do it for me. I played it once through and then have not had any interest in launching it ever again.

Rym said:

I enjoyed Shovel Knight, but after I beat it all I wanted was to go play Dawn of Sorrow again.

I can't quite tell, but it looks like these new Knights come with new, unique levels. Might as well be a sequel, not a tweaked re-play.
  • Yeah. But nothing in that game was as viscerally satisfying as even the weaker 2D Castlevania games to me.
  • Apreche said:

If I ever have a company, I'm hiring the social media person who runs the Sonic account.

Aren't you too scared to start a company though?
  • Not scared just not willing to give up his comfy lifestyle. Scott just needs an angel investor to get him going.
  • Not scared just not willing to give up his comfy lifestyle. Scott just needs an angel investor to get him going.

I don't take investors. They control your shit and expect a return. I need free moneys with no accountability. Then I can just take the money to the beach.
  • This is why I'm not starting a game company with Scott ;)
  • Maybe when the Geeknights Patreon hits 10,000 a month then Scott can do those things. :wink:
  • So I forgot that I backed this and I missed the platform selection survey deadline so now I have to track down how/if I can correct this.
  • usrName said:

So I forgot that I backed this and I missed the platform selection survey deadline so now I have to track down how/if I can correct this.

Good luck. I've messaged them multiple times and never got a single response. From the message boards, I feel like I was not alone.

They where the worst company to deal with, and I won't back any of their other projects.