This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Grand Prix Round 4 - Hacienda

edited September 2013 in GeekNights
The long awaited final round of the grand prix is here. We've had two video games and one tabletop game so far. To keep things even, the final battle is tabletop yet again. Welcome to the Hacienda.

Hacidena makes an optimal grand prix game because you can play it for free on the web asynchronously. That really helps out our players in distant time zones. To play, you just need a free account on SpielByWeb. The the rulebook is on their site as well.

Anyone who wishes to participate in this round, simply send an email to grandprix@frontrowcrew.com requesting entry. On Monday September 9th I will combine entrants into games, most likely with 4-5 players. The format will be single elimination. The winner of each game will advance and all others will be eliminated. Depending on the number of players, we may be able to finish this in very few rounds of play. At the end of each game, every player in the game must submit the complete final results of points and coins via email.

In order to rank players who lost in the same round we will have multiple tiebreakers. The first is position in the game the player lost, 2nd place, 3rd place, etc. Next comes points scores in the losing game followed by final coin count in the losing game. If necessary we can dig into points scored in prior rounds or compare who allowed their opponents to score fewer points.

Good luck farming.

Source Link
Post edited by Apreche on

Comments

• Oh shit, you better believe I just sent an e-mail signing up for this.
  • edited September 2013
    I sent my email within 10 minutes of the announcement.
    It seems I'm currently guaranteed to be in at least second place overall, and I only need to come in 14th in this round to guarantee first place.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Email sent.
    It seems I'm currently guaranteed to be in at least second place overall, and I only need to come in 14th in this round to guarantee first place.
    I'm sure some people won't count the Galaga round. They may consider themselves the true winners.
  • Oh, I have every intention to crush those people at their own game too, although they're clearly wrong.
  • There are only two days left to sign up. So far we have hardly any people for a game that is completely free and asynchronous.
  • I've lost interest.
  • edited September 2013
    There are only two days left to sign up. So far we have hardly any people for a game that is completely free and asynchronous.
    The main cost is setting up a new account (which I hate to do). There is also the cost of learning the rules (not too bad). But moreso there is a cost associated with having to look at the SpielByWeb website. Dear Lord, it is like a time machine to the 90's.

PS: Should have made SaltyBet the fourth round!
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • It's hand egg season.
  • It's hand egg season.
    The game will not interfere with your handegg. It e-mails you when it is your turn. You go to the web site. You lay some tiles. Then it emails the next person.
  • I sent an email and didn't get an auto-response. Is it there?
  • Your name is already here.
  • I sent an email and didn't get an auto-response. Is it there?
    I think I may have deleted that e-mail rule when I redid my Gmails.
  • oh huh. missed this.
  • oh huh. missed this.
    I didn't start it yet. I was actually about to start it now. I'll give people one more hour to sign up starting as of this post.
  • edited September 2013
    Ok, so we have 10 players. I randomly split you into two games of five players each using random.org. The top TWO players from each game will then move onto the second a final round. Real simple.

Game 1

Lackofcheese
    pence
    Luke Burrage
    Linkigi
    Coldguy

Game 2

YoshoKatana
    Apsup
    Birdville
    starfox
    Blahshaw

You have to start the games yourselves. Take whatever time you need to finish them. If someone is a no-show, let me know. You can start the game again and disqualify them if they are sandbagging.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I have only ever played one game of Hacienda in my life. I'm going to have to look up the rules again for sure. But that's the beauty of play by mail, right?
  • I have only ever played one game of Hacienda in my life. I'm going to have to look up the rules again for sure. But that's the beauty of play by mail, right?
    Luke "the sandbag" Burrage, I presume?
  • Yeah, I'm going to have to read the rules myself. I think your single game will give you more experience than the rest of us. :P

I will go ahead and start up Game 1, doing all the default settings. FRC Forum Game 1, password: grandprix

If you can't find it, go to Games List > Games Waiting to Start > Passworded Games. Interface takes a couple minutes to figure out.
  • I have never played Hacienda before. Dis gon be gud.
  • I've set up game 2.
    Name: FRC Game 2
    pw: GrandPrix
  • So far, Coldguy and Lackofcheese are in the lobby with me. Still need Luke Burrage and Linkigi (and to read the rules~).
  • I'll join the second game today. Thanks for setting it up, Birdville.
  • Got Luke a few days ago, still waiting for Linkigi on game one.
  • Still missing from game 2.
    YoshoKatana
    starfox
    Blahshaw
  • I think I joined? It's not showing up in "your games," but it gave me a message that I joined successfully. USER EXPERIENCE DESIGN.
  • I think I joined? It's not showing up in "your games," but it gave me a message that I joined successfully. USER EXPERIENCE DESIGN.
    In your games you have to click the "Your games waiting to start" link so see games not yet started. Also you seem to be in now.

• Oops, I've been dragging my feet. I'll join tonight.
  • Ok I'm in.
  • So how long do we wait on our 5th before starting without?
  • Got off my butt and signed up. Now they've made it my turn and I still have to read the rules.