This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Losing Interest in Things Once Loved

edited September 2013 in Everything Else
Have you ever had a time in your life where your interest in something you love began to wane? I'm going through that with video games right now, and I can't explain why. I find myself turning to TV Shows, or Movies or Anime or Books. Maybe it's just growing up, but I honestly hope not. Gaming has given me such great experiences!

Comments

• nah it's kinda a cycle, I've fallen out of and back into Anime, video games, Sci-fi and other things I've liked for a long time. Eventually I get tired of it, turn away and focus on other things, then I rediscover those interests again after a while.
  • edited September 2013
    Less a part of "growing up" and more just a part of existing for a significant amount of time that your interests and focuses change. Some things you come back to and some things you lose. S'okay, just don't worry about it and spend your time with the things you feel like spending time with at that moment.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I fell off anime big time in the drought years but I was recommended Watamote which is at least interesting. Not reading as much manga as I'd like.
  • Yeah, ometimes you just become so entrenched in one subject that you get bored of it. Its not that you necessarily will stop liking it forever, but you just might be interested in some other things for a while and come back later.

I think it has something to do with neural pathways and how certain ones get overused so that same stimuli doesn't give you the same reward response like it used to, but I could be remembering it wrong.
  • Don't think that's how neurology works.

But I agree you eventually see all of something you are going to.
  • I definitely fell out of anime for a long while. Other than an oav or a few episodes of something, I haven't really been watching much. I feel like Attack On Titan may be my pathway back, along with trying to lean out my DVD collection by figuring out what I do want to keep
  • I realise that I now pirate far less than when I was a teenager and don't get exposed to as much.
  • I fell out of videogames years back. I don't have the rush to play them since then. Board gaming comes and goes, but it's almost always a con thing to do. Different types of comics like my love for indie or manga can come and go within weeks.

Eh, I just think some seasons you just dive into things. Recently for me, it's been anime season. I'm watching 4 different shows that are airing now.
  • For a while I did not see my self not playing Warhammer or not listening to certain bands that I no longer have any interest in. I would say that I have more refined my interests and accepted that I will not be able to be super devoted to all of them at the same time.

I move more in rotations. At the moment Im playing a lot of stratagy games, soon it will be writing, then reading some history books/writing a paper, then fiction writing and so on. Underneith it all is a steady consumption of books but even then my tasty in them change. My regret is that Im no longer massivly passionate, to an obbsesive way, about any of my interests. I certainly enjoy doing them but Im not massivly fussed if I can't.
  • I think it happens to all of us, like it was mentioned above, I feel like I go through cycles. Life happens, like others I'll watch a lot of anime, or read a lot of manga, or play a bunch of games, just kind of as the mood suits me.
  • I don't enjoy modern video games as much either, since I've played almost all of the ones I like already. I resort to going back and playing games from 1990's in order to find great games I haven't played before. I'm mostly waiting around for Dark Souls 2.
  • I fell out of video games for good years ago. But I've always cycled through primary interests, getting something out of each one. In the last couple of years, I've been most closely following at different times: US politics, the Arab Spring, NSA stuff, the MLP fandom, art criticism, mobile tech, Phish/jam bands, anime, and now I'm on a current music kick. Just let stuff ebb and flow. I always find I got something out of whatever it was, even if I didn't know it at the time.
  • It's sometimes called depression.
  • It's sometimes called depression.
    I was thinking the same.
  • I hope I never lose interest in cute Asian women.
  • Well with depression its more losing interest in everything rather than one specific subject.
  • Well with depression its more losing interest in everything rather than one specific subject.
    This. If you're just interested in DIFFERENT things, you're fine. It's perfectly normal.

• edited September 2013
    I hope I never lose interest in cute Asian women.
    Don't worry, it's built in.

Stuff white people like is much more crass than I remember.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I hope I never lose interest in cute Asian women.
    As long as you do not go about it in the manner of these guys (Kinda NSFW depending on your boss) you will be fine.

• That song is the worst kind of terrible. First, it seems to be intentionally offensive, which I don't mind. But intentionally offensive combined with lack of a clever angle is bad. Mix in bland, bland, bland music, badly mixed with flat voices? Awful.
  • That song is the worst kind of terrible. First, it seems to be intentionally offensive, which I don't mind. But intentionally offensive combined with lack of a clever angle is bad. Mix in bland, bland, bland music, badly mixed with flat voices? Awful.
    They are the Crazy Town of this musical iteration.
  • Funny video though.
  • edited September 2013
    That song is the worst kind of terrible. First, it seems to be intentionally offensive, which I don't mind. But intentionally offensive combined with lack of a clever angle is bad. Mix in bland, bland, bland music, badly mixed with flat voices? Awful.
    They are the Crazy Town of this musical iteration.
    Dammit, now I have "Butterfly" stuck in my head. Thanks.

With regards to losing interest in things, I've really had no desire and, in some ways, am actively avoiding drama/action/horror anime. I don't care about Madoka, turning away from Attack on Titan, and really just have no inclination to watch anything that is a stressful show. I'm just watching shows that make me laugh or are really light. I'm just so done with stuff like that and have been for a long while now to the point where I don't understand a lot of references on the internet.

Cue internal musical number:
    Now and then I think of when I was a fanboy.
    New episodes made me feel so happy I could die.
    But now I just can't stomach these new shows
    And just don't get refences you all know
    But I suppose that is the price of changing preference

You can get addicted to a certain kind of genre
    Like action shows with horror bends, those scary ends.
    Those kinds of shows began to grind on me
    But you insisted it was a must see.
    Now I can say that I was glad that it was over

But you didn't have to cut me off
    Just because I lied 'bout watching Puella Magi Madoka
    You think you're a comedian
    and treat me like a jerk cause I like Pita-ten
    I don't get why you got so mad
    Just 'cause I like shojo shows and slice of life comedies
    I really don't like your fave shows
    Now you're just a fandom that I used to know
    Post edited by Victor Frost on