This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAC-MAN CE DX+

edited September 2013 in Video Games
Who is down with the PAC?

If you remove the cheaters from the leaderboard, I'm in the top 20!

Also, I love how you can watch replays of other players from the leaderboard. I learned two things from the top non-cheater on Champsionship II 5-minute. I wasn't able to execute them as well as they did, but it still bumped my score up by over 200k.

The biggest thing I learned was offensive bomb usage. There are two patterns of the maze where you grab a power pill and have to waste time turning around to eat the ghost chain. If you bomb, you can put the ghost chain into the top middle of the map, which is on your path, and not out of the way. Use the bomb to put the ghosts there and save a bunch of time, and therefore points.

Comments

• Bombs? Wow, sounds like pac-man has changed a lot.
  • Bombs? Wow, sounds like pac-man has changed a lot.
    That's why CEDX is so great. It's just a few tiny rules changes from the original, but it results is amazingness. Here are the only differences between CE-DX and the original.

1) The maze is split in half. When you eat the fruit on one half, the other half of the board will reset to a new maze. When you eat all pellets on one half, the fruit on the other half will appear.

2) There are sleeping ghosts on the map. If you pass near one, it will wake up and join the train of ghosts that chase you. If there is no chain, it will start one. If there is a chain, but it isn't nearby for it to join, it will go back to sleep.

3) Some ghosts have power pellets or bombs inside of them. Eating a power pellet ghost has the same effect as eating a power pellet. Eating a bomb ghost gives you a bomb.

4) You can press any button to set off a bomb, if you have one. This sends all non-sleeping ghosts, including ones that are considering whether or not to join the train, into the bin in the middle of the map.

5) When you are approaching a ghost, the game gets slow like the Matrix, so you can maybe turn out of the way. Depending on whether it is a train ghost or a free ghost will determine its behavior. Often you can just keep going straight, and you will avoid it. You can also try to dodge back and forth and it will turn out of your way.

6) There is a game speed. Depending on the difficulty level, it will start high or low. Certain things increase the speed, like eating ghosts. Other things decrease it, like dying or using bombs. Max is 50.

7) If you try to turn before you get to the spot where you are able to turn, sparks will come out. When you reach the turning spot, you will turn faster if you are sparking it.

8) The music is a million times better.
  • It shall go into the wishlist then since I'm kinda broke, is there multiplayer?
  • It shall go into the wishlist then since I'm kinda broke, is there multiplayer?
    The multiplayer is a worldwide leaderboard. Beat everyone else's high scores and low times.
  • I only have Pac-Man C.E. =(

(xbox360)
  • I only have Pac-Man C.E. =(

(xbox360)
    DX+ is on Steam now.
  • Is all the extra stuff one worth it?
  • edited September 2013
    Is all the extra stuff one worth it?
    Yes. Mountain course is awesome. Sadly, but perhaps fairly, there is no global score for the bonus mazes.

I am current 12th best Pac-Man out of 6211. I count it as higher than that, because there are at least a few cheaters at the top of the leaderboards. Probably I'm in the top 10 best at this game.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I am definitely Pac-Manning it up. I made it to the top of my friend leaderboards... and then Apreche. :(

I think I'm top 200? Maybe?
  • I am definitely Pac-Manning it up. I made it to the top of my friend leaderboards... and then Apreche. :(

I think I'm top 200? Maybe?
    Soon I will stream and show all the secrets.
  • Trying to improve my time on Darkness Championship II. Employed some new paths that I thought would make it faster. Finished with an exact tie of my previous high score down to the hundredth of a second.

Shit.
  • Just courious, anyone know if they mapped the controller to a generic usb device? Since I only have an N64 and SNES controller want to see if that would work on the new Pac Attack.
  • Just courious, anyone know if they mapped the controller to a generic usb device? Since I only have an N64 and SNES controller want to see if that would work on the new Pac Attack.
    I will try this! So far I've only used 360 controllers. I bet I could do really well using my NES controller.
    I will try this! So far I've only used 360 controllers. I bet I could do really well using my NES controller.
    I was thinking n64 controller would be boss. 3D analogue stick plus z button for bomb could lead to one handed gaming.
    I was thinking n64 controller would be boss. 3D analogue stick plus z button for bomb could lead to one handed gaming.
    Analog stick is not ideal. You want d-pad.
    Analog stick is not ideal. You want d-pad.
    SNES controller than with shoulder button will work.
  • Jesus, this game is intense.
  • Note: do NOT play this game on a keyboard precise turning does not exist.
  • Seriously, if you're not playing this game, you must hate video games.
  • This game is causing me to invest in a fighting stick with a not suck joystick....sigh.
  • DIS GAME. O_O
  • Right now I am ranked 201
    Oh fuck. Better start playing again if people are catching up. Tomorrow I have nothing to do other than watch Kill La Kill and Saltybet, so some PAC ATTACK is in order.
    Oh fuck. Better start playing again if people are catching up. Tomorrow I have nothing to do other than watch Kill La Kill and Saltybet, so some PAC ATTACK is in order.
    Oh it is on like Navarone
  • Ended last night at 158 plus I figured out how to get massive scores in ghost combo, the downside is executing it.
  • Ended last night at 158 plus I figured out how to get massive scores in ghost combo, the downside is executing it.
    My ghost combo execution is also really awful, but here's the basic idea:

Play a bunch just to get speed up. Figure out the part of the level where a ton of ghosts appear and you can start the combo. Start the combo and eat all the ghosts. Then keep it going eating fruits, pellets, and sleeping ghosts with power pellets in them. If the combo is going to run out, eat the emergency power pellet. Try to keep it going until you get far enough through the level to eat another giant group of ghosts that spawn. If you can do that, it will be enough.
    My ghost combo execution is also really awful, but here's the basic idea:

Play a bunch just to get speed up. Figure out the part of the level where a ton of ghosts appear and you can start the combo. Start the combo and eat all the ghosts. Then keep it going eating fruits, pellets, and sleeping ghosts with power pellets in them. If the combo is going to run out, eat the emergency power pellet. Try to keep it going until you get far enough through the level to eat another giant group of ghosts that spawn. If you can do that, it will be enough.
    Actually that is NOT how you do it. There is a level even higher than that.

Create a super long ghost chain only containing of ghost that have power pellets, once at max length get to the final two boards of the course (where there is a ton of ghosts), slow down to the single digits by using bombs/getting killed.

Start eating the ghosts on the course using bombs to move the giant train of ghosts (who all have power pellets) and only eat them if you are in dire need. Emergency is to be used when you screw up in this process.

It is a pain in the ass but if you have it set up properly you can go nuts with it.
  • I don't even. How do you get a train of ghosts with ONLY power pellets? Video is needed.
  • I don't even. How do you get a train of ghosts with ONLY power pellets? Video is needed.
    By simply offensive bombing them when you are about to go across a sleeping ghost without one. Like I said it is a pain in the ass to do.