This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Government Shutdown

Comments

• "What is our present condition? We have just carried an election on principles fairly stated to the people. Now we are told in advance, the government shall be broken up, unless we surrender to those we have beaten, before we take the offices. In this they are either attempting to play upon us, or they are in dead earnest. Either way, if we surrender, it is the end of us, and of the government. They will repeat the experiment upon us ad libitum."

Abraham Lincoln, 1861

The Democrats must hold firm on both the debt ceiling and the current shutdown. To compromise is to prove that hostage-taking of basic government functions is a viable way to achieve legislative success where the electorate has spoken otherwise.

The Republicans are 100% at fault. What they're doing is the equivalent of stating in a game of Puerto Rico that I refuse to complete my turn unless Scott agrees to take only Prospectors for the remainder of the game.

• What they're doing is the equivalent of stating in a game of Puerto Rico that I refuse to complete my turn unless Scott agrees to take only Prospectors for the remainder of the game.
    When you think of it that way, a solution becomes obvious.

Let's say that happened in Puerto Rico. What rule would you make to fix it? Obviously anyone who refuses to continue play automatically forfeits and loses.

How to do that in the context of government? If you refuse to play, you forfeit your seat in congress and can never run again. You will be replace immediately using the same process as if you had died, as determined by your state.

Problem: Making THAT rule a rule in the first place.
  • Abraham Lincoln, 1861

The Democrats must hold firm...
    Well I read that wrong.
  • Ok, confirmed it's upper manangement that per each area that determines "essential" vs. "non-essential" staff.
  • Ok, confirmed it's upper manangement that per each area that determines "essential" vs. "non-essential" staff.
    Where's the gambit where everyone collectively decides that all personnel are essential en masse?
    Where's the gambit where everyone collectively decides that all personnel are essential en masse?
    Who decides if upper management itself is essential?

• Management declares itself non-essential, forms worker councils. Communist revolution starts.
    Upper management does not have the testicular fortitude to do so. It would be awesome in Secretary Shinseki or someone made that sort of move.

I have no idea about who decides if upper management is essential.
  • Solution: rally all the girl scouts and fund government through cookie sales.
    Everyone playing Cookie Clicker suddenly save the economy.
    Upper management does not have the testicular fortitude to do so. It would be awesome in Secretary Shinseki or someone made that sort of move.

I have no idea about who decides if upper management is essential.
    Isn't that what the mayor of DC has been trying to do? Declare his entire city's services as essential? Wonder if he as able to pull it off.

Everyone playing Cookie Clicker suddenly save the economy.
    Is it fair to say Cookie Clicker is this internet's generation of Candy Box?
  • Betting pool! Bet yer money right heah, folks! Which side turned to violence? Step righ'up'n place 'em!
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CAPITOL_LOCKDOWN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-10-03-14-31-51
  • Probably just a concerned citizen exercising his second amendment rights. Possibly at the neighbors.
  • We officially made it 2.5 days into the shutdown before gun violence. Yay 'Murka.
  • edited October 2013
    Probably just a concerned citizen exercising his second amendment rights. Possibly at the neighbors.
    These videos seem appropriate right now.

Post edited by Banta on
  • It is DC... Could just be locals being locals.

If it turns out to be a federal employee which side will claim them?
  • hmmmm.. Not sure, it was outside of Congress, which means it could be any of the 90% of the population that is extremely unhappy with congress.. :-p
  • So if the Republicans get what they want. Is it fair to say that the US can look forward to more of this type of 'governing'?
  • So if the Republicans get what they want. Is it fair to say that the US can look forward to more of this type of 'governing'?
    Seems likely. If Obama gives the Republicans an inch, then they'll probably keep using this tantrum tactic to get what they want.
  • So as far as I can tell, it was a woman with a kid in her car, who sped away after getting stopped by the cops near the white house, and was then shot by the cops? Oof. Hope there's more detail to that.
  • Also thank NPR for this headline: "Why a Handful of Hard-Liners Has a Hold on Boehner"
  • So as far as I can tell, it was a woman with a kid in her car, who sped away after getting stopped by the cops near the white house, and was then shot by the cops? Oof. Hope there's more detail to that.
    Apparently she tried to ram a gate at the Whitehouse, failed, and fled toward the Hill where she ran into a cop car. We should probably wait til they collect the whole story and get it straight before speculating on her motivation.

• Motivation? She had a kid in the car. That is all the motivation you need to do crazy shit.
  • I know 99% of people here are smart enough to know that the USPS in unaffected by the shutdown but holy fuck am I getting asked that question far too often. My fellow Americans never cease to amaze me with how ill informed/stupid they can be.

Tangentially related to the shutdown, my dad one of those nuts screaming for revolution. While I don't disagree with him in principle, where he and I differ is how to achieve said revolutionary change. He thinks a mob with guns will help whereas I use my brain.

• A mob with brains? Can't see that happening.
  • edited October 2013
    He seriously believes it's just as simple approaching government centers and politicians offices en masse with fire arms demanding change. It's a tactic that may have worked in the 18th century but the government does have the military means to wipe the populous off the map were it so desired.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • He will bring about change that way, just not the change he is looking for. Well, unless he is looking for a home with a higher iron content and a new husband.
  • Your brain won't do shit to make a difference unless your brain also makes you millions and/or billions of dollars.