This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Government Shutdown

Comments

• What, they didn't teleport her out of the car and right into a prison cell? WTF is the government doing?!?!
    There has been technology available to kill the engine of a modern car available for decades. If the secret service hasn't got it... I'm very surprised.

Anyway, if you want to pretend that's science fiction, it's still not really required to question the street assassination of a 34 year old dental hygeinist in an Infiniti who *clearly* did not "run a barricade" in her nearly undamaged car.
  • Here's my deal - would it have been prudent of them to shoot the tires out while it was parked and they were at point blank (ie: before the getaway)?
    Close range shooting like that has a significant chance of ricochet.
  • edited October 2013
    We really are a banana republic with a budget, here. People just don't know it yet.
    Omar knows all about banana republics.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I'm sure the Illuminati spent months preparing the assassination plan. They probably timed the budget crisis to hide their involvement.
  • Execution, then, if you prefer. She hit a cop and they were angry. I guarantee that cops in Europe are shaking their heads at this shit. Cops in countries with strict gun control aren't pussies like our cops are.
  • edited October 2013
    Yeah, I guess you are right. I mean, I have no idea why cops would shoot at a car that ran over a police officer, tried to drive onto the White House property, and failed to obey police and secret service orders to get out of the car. What were those cops thinking! The only reason that could be is that they are fucking pussies.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Close range shooting like that has a significant chance of ricochet.
    I was also thinking it kind of seems like an easy shot but I bet in actuality it's not.
  • Yeah, I guess you are right. I mean, I have no idea why cops would shoot at a car that ran over a police officer, tried to drive onto the White House property, and failed to obey police and secret service orders to get out of the car. What were those cops thinking! The only reason that could be is that they are fucking pussies.
    You've got video of all of that? Her car doesn't look very damaged in the one photo that's being circulated, for having run a White House barrier.
  • edited October 2013
    Trust me, I enhanced the photo and looked at the reflection of a nearby mirror to determine the micro-expression on her face. From this I ran it through my top-secret facial recognition program to identify her exact thought pattern and inferred that she was a terrorist. Don't worry about the details, we've seen tons of demos of this on TV.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • All I meant by the TV thing is that it's tested, demonstrated technology that's been out there for like two decades. I wasn't building my entire case around it, but if that's your best rebuttal then by all means keep harping on it. :)
  • edited October 2013
    I'm harping on the fact that people without any training, context, situation awareness, and knowledge of procedures automatically present magical alternate realities which they believe should have happened if the police weren't pussies/angry/retarded. How about you just admit you don't fucking know how/why it happened and have no ability to properly analyze the situation.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited October 2013
    You're harping on it because I allowed one little capricious, silly comment out while arguing the situation and it's easier to shift the focus to that than to debate the event.

It might just be that Americans are tired of no-knock raids and dead grandmas, Andrew. The accountability standards for law enforcement in this country are laughable, overall. Naturally people are going to be suspicious after being given lots and lots of examples for why they should be suspicious.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • So a group of guys on bikes in NYC can stop an SUV and cut up the tires but our highly trained capital police can not?
  • All I meant by the TV thing is that it's tested, demonstrated technology that's been out there for like two decades. I wasn't building my entire case around it, but if that's your best rebuttal then by all means keep harping on it. :)
    Did you see this on CSI by any chance?
  • No, more like NOVA or similar, and possibly on Mythbusters as well, but I don't really remember.

It wasn't a fiction show. It was a device that looked sort of like those roller bed things (forget the real name) that mechanics use to get underneath cars more easily, only these launched from under the front of a police car on a tow wire and when they got under a suspect's car, used some sort of electrical pulse to kill the engine by disrupting the timing, or the computer, or something.

Anyway like I said, it's hardly central to my point. It seems pretty unlikely that the only way to deal with an agitated middle aged dental hygeinist was to shoot her through the head.
  • Hindsight is 20/20. I would have pulled the trigger.

Anyone near (or willing to move to Albany, NY) need a job? My company is hiring.
  • What kind of job? I have friends in Troy.
    So do I. Need an IT guy?

Well, he's technically a systems architect, but he's had many years of experience in IT as well.

• http://careers.regeneron.com/

Let me know if they're interested. I can refer them, and they'll have a better chance of getting an interview. I'll get some money if they get hired. Everyone wins!!!
    So do I. Need an IT guy?

Well, he's technically a systems architect, but he's had many years of experience in IT as well.

How's this?
    http://careers.regeneron.com/rensselaer/auditing/it-auditor_sr-auditor-jobs
  • Yeah, I guess you are right. I mean, I have no idea why cops would shoot at a car that ran over a police officer, tried to drive onto the White House property, and failed to obey police and secret service orders to get out of the car. What were those cops thinking! The only reason that could be is that they are fucking pussies.
    Yep, agree ACAB

• ad absurdum is a petty, childish form of argument.
  • A dude apparently just set himself on fire at the National Mall?
  • My initial point about this car chase and shooting isn't that the police had no reason not to shoot an unarmed woman in the head. My point is that none of the news stories I read even raised a point like "Hey, wait a moment... is shooting an unarmed woman in the head cool with everyone? It is? Great! Now, who was this woman..."

It's like the most interesting part of the story is totally missing! I understand shooting at a car that tried to ram a barrier and ran over a police car. I guess. The person MAY be armed and you probably DON'T know about the child in the back seat. But once someone leaves their car, and they are an unarmed woman, please don't tell me that the default and accepted course of action is to SHOOT HER IN THE HEAD.

That's what I find really disturbing.
  • Lifes cheap? Im not sure its prett worrying that the fact that a child is without its mother, who was shot in the head isn't the main story.

Also as people bandy this around a dick ton. Is shooting someone in the head the propper procedure in that situation? From my limited knowledge I was always taught center of mass so going for the head seemed, to me at least rather strange. I mean the whole thing sounds like massive balls up on both sides that lead to a dead woman and a couple of injured dudes.
  • If she was shot in the head inadvertently, that's one thing. Handguns aren't THAT accurate.

It seems like quite a fluke, though. Cops are trained to shoot center mass. It's not hard to believe that the headshot was motivated by revenge for injuring officers at the scene, which is never what should happen.
  • So a good meme today about the shutdown and the parks:

"If the government has enough manpower to keep people off of the National Mall couldn't they use that same manpower to let people on the National Mall?"
  • http://abcnews.go.com/US/capitol-suspect-miriam-carey-believed-obama-electronically-monitored/story?id=20470498
    According to sources Carey believed she was the "prophet of Stamford" and was capable of communicating with Obama.
  • Wow, we're having quite the array of crazy killers in that area lately. Like, significantly crazier than the usual crazy killers.

Insert congressional joke here.