This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

3D Printing + 3D Scanning

13»

Comments

• edited September 2015
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Doctor Manhattan 3D prints too

• I’ve actually been looking for under $600 solutions for 3D Printers, and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions/ideas. I’ve been looking at the DaVinci 1.0, but I don’t like that they use proprietary cartridges for their filament. The M3D Printer looks pretty good, too, but it also looks kinda small.
  • VentureJ said:

I’ve actually been looking for under $600 solutions for 3D Printers, and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions/ideas. I’ve been looking at the DaVinci 1.0, but I don’t like that they use proprietary cartridges for their filament. The M3D Printer looks pretty good, too, but it also looks kinda small.

The cheapest option I've found:

http://www.sculpey.com/
  • Makerfarm has some great stuff from what I've seen. Full disclosure: I don't have one but their reviews and support look really good. I'm waiting for the Pegasus 12" to come out. And until I have money.
  • Ignoring the obvious dildosThis Professional printer is a great multi-tool. Improves surface finish and tolerance. However the build volume seems relatively small.

• edited March 2016
    So, basically it's just a 5-axis CAM mill, with a 3d print head. While that's super cool, I'm genuinely surprised nobody's done this earlier, a 5-axis mill is expensive and not often seen, but they certainly exist.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

So, basically it's just a 5-axis CAM mill, with a 3d print head. While that's super cool, I'm genuinely surprised nobody's done this earlier, a 5-axis mill is expensive and not often seen, but they certainly exist.

Likewise however, from what I've seen from various printing/ milling/ lathing machines it's very difficult to design a system that has adequate positional feedback, self-alignment and error correction and also be affordable.

Also most multitool machines have considerably more tools to switch between; usually for the same process.

Like this thing

• I still just want a relatively cheap consumer-level cnc machine to be widely available. Something like the "ghost gunner" but not just for building gun receivers. I feel like that could be more feasible sooner than the higher end metal reinforced polymer or just straight up metal 3d printing, at least for simpler things.
  • Technically you could just take any 3d printer change the heating element replace it with a drill and you'll have a CNC mill.

You'll just need to adapt the G-code.

or this
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1029697729/evo-one-desktop-cnc-mill-made-for-anyone?ref=discovery
  • I still just want a relatively cheap consumer-level cnc machine to be widely available. Something like the "ghost gunner" but not just for building gun receivers. I feel like that could be more feasible sooner than the higher end metal reinforced polymer or just straight up metal 3d printing, at least for simpler things.

Sounds like you want an Othermill:

https://othermachine.co/othermill/features/
  • Dazzle369 said:

Technically you could just take any 3d printer change the heating element replace it with a drill and you'll have a CNC mill.

You'll just need to adapt the G-code.

Shouldn't be that hard, I'd imagine there's a standard instruction set under the M's by now.
  • So somebody just come up with a 3D printer that comes with an interchangeable heating element and drill from the start and put it on Kickstarter.
  • So somebody just come up with a 3D printer that comes with an interchangeable heating element and drill from the start and put it on Kickstarter.

That is a bit harder than you make it sound, but it's certainly possible.
  • Whoever necro'd this thread at the precise moment I ran into 2D printer problems was a genius.

I've gotta believe I've seen it a few times. It's been tried.

The challenge is that what makes for a decent 3D printer movement will almost universally make a rubbish machining movement. At the same time, a decent machining movement will often be too heavy and bulky for an efficient 3D printer.

As it is, I've got ideas for a line of designs for 3D printers, small CNC mills, somewhat larger CNC mills, and router tables, and a CNC lathe. Many current solutions are either too small and 'babby-grade' or too big and 'industrial grade' or they're old school manual things with motors slapped on.

Tormach has about the right spread of product, between the new PCNC 440 and their established 770 and 1100 units, but I think there's some room to offer a different take on the same scale of unit.
  • At this point, I think the best thing is to find & get involved with local maker spaces. You get access to decent equipment, without a lot of the overhead and annoyance that comes with ownership.
  • Churba said:

So somebody just come up with a 3D printer that comes with an interchangeable heating element and drill from the start and put it on Kickstarter.

That is a bit harder than you make it sound, but it's certainly possible.
    When have little details like "making it work" ever stopped people from making a Kickstarter?

At this point, I think the best thing is to find & get involved with local maker spaces. You get access to decent equipment, without a lot of the overhead and annoyance that comes with ownership.

Yeah I really wish there was one around me. It'll be nice when there's a kinkos equivalent for 3D printing around the country before everyone can get one for like $50 at Walmart.
  • This is pretty cool for a handheld router

• edited April 2016
    I'm no stranger to old Bridgeports, or upgrading them, but I've never seen that Shaper Origin tool before. Holy shit that's super clever! I can't wait till their on the open market, I really want to get my hands on one.
    Post edited by Churba on