This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Kill la Kill

Comments

• HMTKSteve said:

It sounds like the trans hate among some feminists is a perverted form of a turf war?

Relevant pun from /lgbt/:
  • Greg said:

pun

+1

Anyways, that hand of Ryuko's burns with awesome power. Also, I'm in love with those Nudist Beach robot walkers if only because of how silly they look.

I can't decide whether Mako or Aikuro is the best character in this show.
  • Such a good show. :)
  • I just rewatched the last episode to remind myself of what happened, and I still can't get over the show's skip-all-the-boring-shit pacing. They never make you wait - the moment you can definitively say "oh, X is going to happen sometime in the future" it happens pretty much immediately. The Inuyasha bit and Sanageyama's return are the best examples, but it happens over the whole show. And what's better, there's almost never bad cliffhangers: there's what's-going-to-happen-next type things, but there's never a someone-hanging-off-a-cliff deal.
  • Who is your favorite KLK character and why is it Mako?

— kViN (@Yuyucow) January 30, 2014

Because Gamagoori
  • At the risk of being pilloried, when it comes to genital reassignment surgery, the current state of the art IS more or less surgical mutilation. As in, you're not exactly left with functioning apparatus. It's entirely cosmetic and psychological.

That's not to say that it doesn't have value or shouldn't be done, as it's the best we can do, but to be a super pedant about it, it IS pretty much mutilation.

We're a long way off from being able to effectively and definitively treat this sort of dysmorphism.
  • When I was younger I thought sex change required donor organs or that you had to wait until someone of the other gender showed up so you could switch the parts.
  • Kill la Kill just did a compilation episode. In one minute. BEST SHOW.
  • edited January 2014
    Okay, I now have to revoke my no-cliffhangers comment from earlier. Damn.

Also: NEW OPENING. New ending is Mako-tastic too, which is wonderful.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • The original life fiber.

• Egads! Life fiber is made of people!
  • Egads! Life fiber is made of people!

No, it's made of alien.
  • I'll bet the alien is neither good nor evil, but that (gasp) people themselves have the capacity for either.
  • Rym said:

I'll bet the alien is neither good nor evil, but that (gasp) people themselves have the capacity for either.

The real question is this. COVERS is putting life fibers into all REVOCS clothing. Why? So that they can control all the people/take over the world by controlling all those life fibers from the original life fiber.

But what' about Senketsu? He doesn't remember shit, at least until now. Won't he get controlled also? What did Dr. Matoi do to Senketsu to save him from the original life fiber's control? And what of the fibers he has absorbed that Dr. Matoi did not operate on?
  • I thought the life fibers were more of a parasite feeding off of people rather than controlling people?
  • I'm pretty sure they said that Senketsu was made with artificial life fibers.
  • Ruffas said:

I'm pretty sure they said that Senketsu was made with artificial life fibers.

O RLY!?!?!?!?
  • Ruffas said:

Confirmed. Senketsu is Dr. Matoi the same way that Evangelion 01 is Shinji's mom. He imbued his own soul/consciousness or a copy thereof into the artificial fibers.

Oh, spoilers. :P
  • Churba said:

patriarchy

Cultural appropriation

Sheila Jefferies

transexuals are just defective as men, and are certainly defective as women.

male privileged

delusional homosexuals

What I'm gonna take from this through breakdown you provided is that borderline straw man hypocritical armchair would-be social justice advocates from Tumblr are the kind of "feminists" spouting this garbage. Big surprise.

They make sure to remind me of the scourge of those crazy "nice guys" and white supremacists all the time, but they regularly exhibit very similar behaviors. It's Black History Month. They should watch a Martin Luther King speech and really pay attention to what he says.
  • Apreche said:

Egads! Life fiber is made of people!

No, it's made of alien.
    In Eva, people is made of alien, so by transitive properties...
  • edited February 2014
    Viethra said:

What I'm gonna take from this through breakdown you provided is that borderline straw man hypocritical armchair would-be social justice advocates from Tumblr are the kind of "feminists" spouting this garbage. Big surprise.

They make sure to remind me of the scourge of those crazy "nice guys" and white supremacists all the time, but they regularly exhibit very similar behaviors. It's Black History Month. They should watch a Martin Luther King speech and really pay attention to what he says.

No, absolutely not. The people spouting this garbage - I'm really all but directly quoting them here - are famous leading figures of the Feminist movement, including Germaine Greer, Julie Bindel, the aforementioned Sheila Jefferies, Camille Paglia, Gloria Steinem, Janice Raymond, and so on. Here's something that'll twist your noodle - One of the most openly radical and extreme feminists of the movement at that time, Andrea Dworkin... Actually thought all her colleges were talking bollocks, and came out in support of the transsexual movement. The Feminist movement - most especially the second wave - has had a long-standing issue with the matter of Transsexuals, this is hardly a new thing. While the authors support of their statements has not waned, some of the stances I'm quoting go back as far as the 1970s.

I'll say a lot about Tumblr and their pseudo-academic word-salad nonsense, but I will give them credit where credit is due, and more often than not, Tumblr Feminists tend to be supportive of the Transsexual community and movement practically to a fault, rather than condemning it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Seconding Churba. You see the most trans hate from older, established members of the feminist community - people who have entered the community and who have been exposed to trans issues tend to be more sympathetic.

(Also, Nice Guys™ are a scourge, but that's another matter entirely.)
  • HMTKSteve said:

It sounds like the trans hate among some feminists is a perverted form of a turf war?

Or TERF War. LOL.

I, for one, am a gender abolitionist, in that my ideal future is one in which anyone can dress or act however makes them happy, regardless of their bits or chromosomes. I try to not make much distinction between men and women in terms of my treatment and perception of them, and I'll also try to treat someone however makes them most comfortable.

Like Rym, I've debated this topic long and hard. I think I've heard a bunch of your mentioned points. It's a complicated issue, but I generally come down on the side of "just be nice to people!" It seems to me a shame that an oppressed group would turn on its own, people who are just showing up and saying "we want to have solidarity with you guys!"
  • Glad I watched this episode immediately.
    This week in Kill la Kill: SAW THAT COMING!
  • Glad I watched this episode immediately.
    This week in Kill la Kill: SAW THAT COMING!

I can't wait for the clock to strike 5pm.
  • Well. We did see that coming from about 100 miles away. But what now? That was only episode 17! There are 9 left? What can possibly happen now?
  • Apreche said:

Well. We did see that coming from about 100 miles away. But what now? That was only episode 17! There are 9 left? What can possibly happen now?

Escalation.

I was expecting something like that to happen, but I didn't think it would be so fast and sudden.

I think that some time and episode(s) will be devoted for a 3-way battle.

• I predict yet more square bosses. The mystery of Satsuki's dad will also get attention.
  • edited February 2014
    Churba said:

The people spouting this garbage - I'm really all but directly quoting them here - are famous leading figures of the Feminist movement, including Germaine Greer, Julie Bindel, the aforementioned Sheila Jefferies, Camille Paglia, Gloria Steinem, Janice Raymond, and so on. Here's something that'll twist your noodle - One of the most openly radical and extreme feminists of the movement at that time, Andrea Dworkin... Actually thought all her colleges were talking bollocks, and came out in support of the transsexual movement. The Feminist movement - most especially the second wave - has had a long-standing issue with the matter of Transsexuals, this is hardly a new thing. While the authors support of their statements has not waned, some of the stances I'm quoting go back as far as the 1970s.

I'll say a lot about Tumblr and their pseudo-academic word-salad nonsense, but I will give them credit where credit is due, and more often than not, Tumblr Feminists tend to be supportive of the Transsexual community and movement practically to a fault, rather than condemning it.

It's disturbing how bad the second wave got about this. I'm hopeful the third wave will leave all that behind them. They already seem to. I find it odd that all that heinous stuff is so old. Maybe that's where all these blog people got it from.

I hear more about hating and killing heterosexual cis people on that website that I do about hating and killing anyone anywhere else I frequently go. It is pretty bad when the people you can point to as progressives on trans issues on a site also joke about being racist and hating people for being born various things. I wouldn't be on Tumblr if I didn't like the place, but some attitudes there scare me. It's like "hip" to look like an extremist or something.
    Post edited by Viethra on