This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Convention Scheduling Season

2»

Comments

• I am considering actually not shit-talking and applying to be a panelist at Connecticon 2014. I would prefer to get my whole crew in though, and with the way they're doing badges one guy would get left out.
  • How big is your crew?

I am extremely suspicious of any "panel" with more than two people on it.
  • How big is your crew?

Three people besides me. I would want the full crew for the hentai MST panel but otherwise we could do two member panels, and hell maybe my friends could come up with panels they want to do on their own to get their own badges.
  • I am extremely suspicious of any "panel" with more than two people on it.
    But, I mean, isn't that the literal meaning of a "panel?" A group of experts discussing a topic in front of an audience? Fewer than that is a presentation.

Or are you talking about vetting unknown panels?

• RymRym
    edited October 2013
    "Panel" at basically all fan conventions really means "presentation" or "lecture." The number of actual panels is negligible. I hate that incorrect terminology, but that's how the word is used.

So, for "presentations" at fan conventions, it is extremely unlikely that any with more than two participants are going to be good.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2013
    I really just wanted to be pedantic. Thanks for the dance!

I totally agree. Most content at most fan-run conventions is pretty dubious when you get beyond 2 people. That definitely gets into "I GOT MY FRIENDS IN FOR FREE" territory.

That fuckin' Space Ghost. Fuck that guy.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited October 2013
    But, I mean, isn't that the literal meaning of a "panel?" A group of experts discussing a topic in front of an audience? Fewer than that is a presentation.
    I had a panel that was exactly this, at the last PAX East. Lined up several well-known tabletop publishers and designers (I was there to represent the media point of view), and we provided a range of opinions on questions relating to game mechanics and industry business stuff. I was really happy with the end product.

I can understand the skepticism of people stuffing a panel just to get free badges, but a "panel" can still be worth your 60 minutes even if it's not two dudes giving a lecture. Heck, there are plenty of intelligent people who just aren't suited for that format. I tried to do the one-man-show at Connecticon two years back and that thing flopped pretty hard.

Post edited by Matt on
  • PAX is almost entirely industry professionals, so real panels work much better. But ConnectiCon? Otakon? Anime Boston? If I see five people I stage I walk right back out the door.
  • It isn't so much me trying to cram all my friends into Connecticon (hell the logistics work out better if it is just two of us, or me alone) but the whole shtick is our differing personalities. I've only heard back from one of my friends so far so the point may be moot.
  • I give panels with 3-5 people my first ten minutes, because I have seen quality presentations with panels of that size, though they are uncommon. Above 5 people, then I walk out before it starts.
  • I only ask four people (including myself so three other people) for a hentai panel.
  • My schedule for the Upcoming Pacific Media Expo.