This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

smoke trees, start threads

I went for a walk tonight. I live on a gravel road in North Carolina, right on the South Carolina border. The stars a bright here, but they were brighter when I was a kid. Charlotte has grown like a weed into every small town from here to Hickory. Now, when I look north, the clouds are tinted white. When I look south, to a great expanse of undeveloped wilds dotted by houses with U.S. and confederate flags in the yard, the sky is black.

I've said before that all it takes to love somebody is understanding. I hated rednecks, yokels, hillbillies, and good ol' boys for a long time. They're intolerant, almost uniformly militant christian, and politically backwards. I hate guns, I hate trucks, and I fucking hate country music. Despite all of that, their company has grown on me. The southern backwoods are owned by skilled tradesmen, farmers, and, even today, the odd self-sustaining hermit. When they're not working they build community through church or drinking beer and shooting things in the back yard. If you asked them what they value most you'd hear a lot about God, country, guns, beer, pussy, and freedom. If you ask me, they love their countryside, it's culture, and the lifestyle it allows them above all.

When a city blots out stars on the horizon, I feel a tug in my gut. Then I think of the fear, intolerance, and proud ignorance of the people behind me, and it makes sense. It doesn't bother me anymore. From experience I know that they are good people, that most of them will lend a hand to any soul in need given the chance, and that the skills they use to survive are well beyond my knowledge and abilities. There often seems to be a gulf between who they are and how they express themselves. Fear, pride, and misunderstanding fuel it. I think the first step to peace is to acknowledge the love that got them there.

Here's to Dixie.

Comments

• That was good. Remind me to get you on FNPL at one point or another.
  • That's cool. For a few years, I used to live down near where you must be, in Gastonia, till around '06. I felt much the same as you do now.

It's a strange thing. The folks are quite... gahhh! Yet, it's never hard to hang out with them and carry on a conversation or work on something together or whatever else. They're generally not mean or spiteful (compared to people up here in New England? By a long shot.)

On an unrelated note, next weekend I'm going down to Hickory for a massive paintball event, I don't know if you put paintball on your list of stuff you hate next to guns and trucks; but if it sounds like a fun time, I'll be there with my company selling accessories and running a target challenge course.
  • Walker, Seriously, Get high, write columns, submit to VICE magazine. They'd stab other magazine headheadhunters to get their hands on this.
  • There's a certain charm to their simple, good values. Everyone up North is a self-centered dick.
  • Churba said:

Walker, Seriously, Get high, write columns, submit to VICE magazine. They'd stab other magazine headheadhunters to get their hands on this.

• That's seriously a great piece. If I was an editor, I'd pay good money for that. You really should look into writing professionally.
  • edited November 2013
    Churba said:

Walker, Seriously, Get high, write columns, submit to VICE magazine. They'd stab other magazine headheadhunters to get their hands on this.

Post edited by SWATrous on
  • Smoke trees, get paid.
  • Hey, it worked for Hunter S. Thompson.
  • 1) I don't think Hunter did anything pansy as pot. Probably once or twice when he was 14, but his career was made by mescaline, psylocibin, and various other psychedelics and hallucinogens.

2) Hunter was always sober when he wrote. You wouldn't know it if you look at his manuscripts, but by the time he sat down at the typewriter he was off the trip.
  • SWATrous said:

Churba said:

I feel like getting high and writing is pretty tame for VICE. Male nude modeling on the other hand...
  • edited November 2013
    Wow, thanks people. I was not proud of that post after I wrote it. The sky was a powerful sight last night, though.

That was good. Remind me to get you on FNPL at one point or another.

I'm down.
    SWATrous said:

That's cool. For a few years, I used to live down near where you must be, in Gastonia, till around '06. I felt much the same as you do now.

It's a strange thing. The folks are quite... gahhh! Yet, it's never hard to hang out with them and carry on a conversation or work on something together or whatever else. They're generally not mean or spiteful (compared to people up here in New England? By a long shot.)

On an unrelated note, next weekend I'm going down to Hickory for a massive paintball event, I don't know if you put paintball on your list of stuff you hate next to guns and trucks; but if it sounds like a fun time, I'll be there with my company selling accessories and running a target challenge course.

I love paintball, but I'm actually pretty far from Gastonia and Hickory. And yeah, it's an odd sensation to get along with this culture. I've got one friend in particular who's a redneck all the way down; has a thick-ass accent, tells dirty jokes nonstop, drinks bud light, owns a million guns, lives in bumfuck nowhere, and does carpentry and locksmithing for a living. He's also an agnostic centrist who writes fantasy fiction and is currently tearing his merry way through Cryptonomicon on my recommendation. People are surprising.
    Greg said:

1) I don't think Hunter did anything pansy as pot. Probably once or twice when he was 14, but his career was made by mescaline, psylocibin, and various other psychedelics and hallucinogens.

2) Hunter was always sober when he wrote. You wouldn't know it if you look at his manuscripts, but by the time he sat down at the typewriter he was off the trip.

I bet the guy smoked plenty of weed in his time.
    Also, writing more than notes for later while tripping is just a bad idea. That shit is hard enough to describe sober.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited November 2013
    Yeah, I'mma need a better source than that. In all my time reading Hunter (which isn't all of his works, but it is more than most people) and all the stories from friends of his I've met, I've actually never heard of him smoking pot.

EDIT: also, really, NORML? Your going to use Hunter S Thompson -- the man who compromised in his campaign for Sheriff of Aspen to not use mescaline while on the job -- to argue for legalizing marijuana? I love Hunter, but he was nuts and should never have his politics taken with less than three or four grains of salt.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Walker: You may wanna drive the hour or two or three it is to get up to Hickory for this one, turnout for this year should be around 1,000 people. http://www.fuldagap.com
  • Greg said:

Yeah, I'mma need a better source than that. In all my time reading Hunter (which isn't all of his works, but it is more than most people) and all the stories from friends of his I've met, I've actually never heard of him smoking pot.

He directly said he was still smoking in an interview with High Times. He was also good mates with Tom Forcade(founder of High Times) who described him as a regular smoker and was openly smoking a lot while covering the 1972 campaign.
  • edited November 2013
    SWATrous said:

Walker: You may wanna drive the hour or two or three it is to get up to Hickory for this one, turnout for this year should be around 1,000 people. http://www.fuldagap.com

Shit, man, I didn't know it was fuldagap. If I wasn't broke and motor-less I'd be all over it. Maybe I can talk a friend into going with me.
    Greg said:

also, really, NORML? Your going to use Hunter S Thompson -- the man who compromised in his campaign for Sheriff of Aspen to not use mescaline while on the job -- to argue for legalizing marijuana? I love Hunter, but he was nuts and should never have his politics taken with less than three or four grains of salt.

Rather like atheists, potheads will proudly display any quote from a famous person supporting their cause.

Post edited by Walker on