This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Yard Games

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider yard games like Bocce, Cornhole, Horseshoes, and Badminton. These games share certain characteristics: they must be reasonably deep orthogames, have shallow learning curves, and provide contextual social opportunities yet not require them. Rym reviews Ingress (it's a Candy Box), and Scott takes a guess that Pandemic: The Cure doesn't fall too far from the tree. We posit on why anyone even bothers to play Pandemic. Rym has Google Glass.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Also: Kubb. It's really fun.
  • I always liked lawn darts, but they don't seem to make them anymore due to chance of accidental eye-gouging.
  • Also: Kubb. It's really fun.

OH MY GLOB

This game is awesome.

• Despite Rym's disbelief, cornhole has had a quite natural and slow expansion in popularity, as far as I can tell. No crazy pop culture injection or celebrity push. The closest I can find is a NASCAR driver giving it a push back in 2009, but it was getting popular way before that.

Looks like the game really took off in the Ohio area and spread out from there. There are a lot of people I work with from that area, and they introduced us to it back in 2006, saying it's something they'd been playing all of their lives. As far as I can tell, it's completely replaced horseshoes at this point.
  • Matt said:

Looks like the game really took off in the Ohio area and spread out from there.

I can attest to that. Clevelanders are my people, and they have always loved some cornhole.
  • I saw Queeblo a month back and damn if it didn't lead me me to Baby Cakes, which led me to Professor Brothers (I'm always late to the game). If I say "Yeah I know you fuckin' feel me" as I pass by the office at the end of the hall one more time the dudes in there are gonna break. Love it.
  • Matt said:

Despite Rym's disbelief, cornhole has had a quite natural and slow expansion in popularity, as far as I can tell. No crazy pop culture injection or celebrity push. The closest I can find is a NASCAR driver giving it a push back in 2009, but it was getting popular way before that.

Looks like the game really took off in the Ohio area and spread out from there. There are a lot of people I work with from that area, and they introduced us to it back in 2006, saying it's something they'd been playing all of their lives. As far as I can tell, it's completely replaced horseshoes at this point.

I was unaware that you were such a cornholing expert.

• Why the hell doesn't anybody play croquet anymore?
  • Nuri said:

Why the hell doesn't anybody play croquet anymore?

Well shock collar croquet kinda killed it...

• I will own the court at some badminton.
  • Not having listened to the episode yet, I started playing Ingress a while ago (like, march?) but stopped as soon as I had to re-initialize my phone and forgot to install the app. It's... hm, well, it's not entertaining, but it is interesting. It is, if I'm interpreting Rym's term correctly, absolutely a candy box.
  • Matt said:

Despite Rym's disbelief, cornhole has had a quite natural and slow expansion in popularity, as far as I can tell. No crazy pop culture injection or celebrity push. The closest I can find is a NASCAR driver giving it a push back in 2009, but it was getting popular way before that.

I was unaware that you were such a cornholing expert.
    I just consider myself well informed, and take particular pleasure observing other people's cornholes. Since I've been exposed to a lot of cornholes for many years now, completely without coersion, I feel validating stating these views.

• Nuri said:

I play croquet at least twice a year.
  • edited November 2013
    Nuri said:

I'm banned ever since I turned up with ingredients, a big bag of breadcrumbs and a deep fryer.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

Nuri said:

I'm banned ever since I turned up with ingredients, a big bag of breadcrumbs and a deep fryer.
    Huh, I didn't realize it was a world-wide dish originating in France. I had thought it was Dutch.
  • Nuri said:

The flamingoes ceased to be cooperative.
  • You see a few young people get into what is perceived as an older person's part time in Australia by the way of Lawn Bowls which sounds like it shares a similar stem to Bocce. It gained enough popularity to become a Commonwealth sport. There was even a movie about how younger people had started playing it.

As far as backyard games go, my brother and friends tended to play Cricket the most but using a tennis or rubber ball instead of a real cricket ball, we also used our wheelie bin as the wickets but drew the wickets on there.

I listened to that Queeblo song when you posted it on the TOTD Tumblr and boy was it a catchy tune. I didn't know what a 40 40 was till I looked it up. Probably the same quality beer as the low brow stuff here in Australia (Emu, VB, XXX, Swan etc.) but it is so cheap in the US.

I'll see if anyone is playing Ingress in Perth.
  • sK0pe said:

I listened to that Queeblo song when you posted it on the TOTD Tumblr and boy was it a catchy tune. I didn't know what a 40 40 was till I looked it up. Probably the same quality beer as the low brow stuff here in Australia (Emu, VB, XXX, Swan etc.) but it is so cheap in the US.

I actually saw Queeblo at a panel with Brad Neely and he said the whole thing is from experience. He used to work at a J. Michaels (a hobby store) and ate whoppers and drank 40s because of his shitty budget. So yes, $5.45 is a low cost, pre-game dinner.

• There was a lawn bowling club next to the field where my aussie rules team would practice. I was always confused what the hell all the old people were playing.
  • I actually have the term bespoke written on my CV because I do use some really made to order software while working at the Royal Mail. I am not sure how it is in the US but a lot of government systems here are made just for that one part of the company to use.