This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Travel Thread (meetups, food suggestions, cool stuff to see)

edited November 2013 in Everything Else
Figured I'd make a generic thread topic that we can use to tell people when we are traveling somewhere and might want to hang out or meet people or get suggestions for good food or times. I've been traveling a lot lately for work and usually I have lots of down time I could be spending hanging with cool geeky people.

First off, heading to Chicago Today through Thursday for work. Should have a few free nights. Any suggestions for food/fun/people :-p
Post edited by Cremlian on

Comments

• Well had a chicago style Pizzat at Giordano's. Mission accomplished..No more need to do anything else in Chicago :-p
  • Last time I was in Chicago and had Chicago style "pizza."
    Dinner
  • I'll be in Manhattan for the first weekend of January. Unfortunately, because it's a school field trip, I won't be able to meet up with any of y'all. However, we are allocated a small amount of free time, so I and a few friends were going to go record shopping. Any suggestions for good record stores?
  • What kinda time are you talking about? Enough to sneak over to Brooklyn for a quick visit? This place just opened and there's been a ton of buzz around it. I don't know shit about record shopping, for the record.
  • edited December 2013
    Ms Freeman isn't letting us leave the island, so I go to Brooklyn. And I'm looking more for used record stores anyway, which I probably should've specified in the post. My current plan is going to the two stores on Bleaker Street, but I'm not an expert on NYC used record stores.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • I'm in Sarasota, FL for the next two weeks, doing Christmas with the family. Considering convincing my parents to go to Disney World.
  • If you've got the inclination, pretty much any spring in the area ought to be filled with manatees. They're a bit far from Sarasota, but Blue Springs in Orange City is famous for them, and Crystal River (or anywhere else in Citrus County) is the only place where it's legal to swim with them. You'll also find Florida's invasive monkey population in that area.
  • I'm going to find myself in New York City for the first time, probably from Feb 12-14th. Maybe on my own, maybe with some friends from just outside the city. Since I've never been there before, what are the things I should make sure to do, or the things that I should avoid? Touristy or not, I want to be able to say that I've seen/done a good representation of NYC.

My preliminary thoughts include visiting Times Square and Rockefeller Center, hitting up the Museum of Natural History and the New York Public Library (woo Ghostbusters), and at least seeing the big landmarks like the Statue of Liberty, though not likely going out to it.

What am I missing, what am I crazy for putting on my list, and what kind of hidden gems should I seek out?
  • Rym said:

Last time I was in Chicago and had Chicago style "pizza."
    Dinner

Wow, Scott Johnson looks like a small child in this picture. Were you like 5 or something?

And I know I say this a lot - Rym, never ever ever ever ever bring back that mustache. Ever.

• I'm going to be in Singapore on Sunday evening and Monday morning. Where is a good place to eat dinner? I'm not looking for expensive, but generally very good local food. And also some tourist stuff to recommend for Monday would be good too.

Skope, you lived there for a while, right?
  • edited January 2014
    It's probably not a big help, I didn't spend much time there, but I remember some wicked good ribs at this joint called Por Kee eating house in...Teeong something. Baree, maybe. It's an old neighborhood, and there's a big market there. And there's also the absurdly named Rabbit Carrot Gun on east coast road, the food was pretty good, but not exactly local food. Memorable name, though.

I've not been, but my old boss Anthony, from when I worked at the Piazza, he raved about White Rabbit on Harding Road.

I'm not sure they meet your standard of expensive, but they're pretty blood good.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited January 2014

I'm going to be in Singapore on Sunday evening and Monday morning. Where is a good place to eat dinner? I'm not looking for expensive, but generally very good local food. And also some tourist stuff to recommend for Monday would be good too.

Skope, you lived there for a while, right?

I lived there for just under 2 months in 2004 but I can give you some pointers since I went to a different restaurant / stall every night.

Most of the silver service food places seem to serve continental dishes (I personally wanted to try out what regular Singaporeans ate every day plus I was visiting as a student).

Each stall will be classified (for sanitation) A, B, C and so on. It is very hard to achieve an A grade which is why you won't see many. I ate predominantly from A and B grade stalls. However I had no issues eating breakfast at a C grade stall outside of the metro because the old guy made pork buns completely fresh.

Don't be put off by the poor service, it just seems to be the way stuff is done outside of a professional setting. Also places will seem randomly placed but you can tell if they are good by the crowds that they draw. e.g. A Nigerian restaraunt which I looked around for a whole 30 minutes ended up tucked away in a small off road opposite a large tourist store, has plastic tables, chairs, cutlery, bowls and plates yet drew a crowd every evening due to the great taste.

Your location will determine what you should go to, if you're too far away from these places there will be something good close by.

Drinks -
    Obviously grab fresh coconut water and sugar cane juice, all the fruit is fresh.

Plenty of good Bubble Tea places.

It is not worthy buying fizzy drinks.

If you are at an Indian restaurant grab Lassi - a drink made from yoghurt. I always recommend the savoury (some places will have sweet as well but it is just the kids version).

I didn't get to go to any cocktail bars or nightclubs since I was working every day but see if you can't find a "Singapore Sling" cocktail made for you.

Tiger Beer is also a light mass produced beer. Can't be compared to carft, Belgian or German beers but it is head and shoulders above any mass brewed stuff that is found in the Australian and American markets.

The easiest way to give you relatively up to date information is by using this page as a key.

Since time is really short I recommend you eat some traditional Kwey Teow.
    If time persists seek out a Bone Soup and Fish Head Curry places (there are 2 variants of the latter South Indian and the other is Chinese, I personally prefer the South Indian type but it can be very spicy).

Eateries -

Outram Park Fried Kway Teow at Hong Lim Complex
    Proper dry noodles served in the Singapore manner that I have not found outside of Singapore except made by Singaporean students or those that have moved to Australia.

Bone Soup at Golden Mile Food Centre
    The name is odd but it was one of the more memorable dishes. It is mutton bone marrow soup in spicy tomato gravy. Even made me moist around the eyes but I couldn't stop eating it, I just had a coconut juice beside me the whole way through.

328 Katong Laksa
    Indonesian Laksa stalls, there are a bunch around this place and they all try and win you by price and quality, you can't go wrong.

Ananda Bhavan or Madras New Woodlands
    Quick vegetarian south Indian food. It has more than one location now, I'm pretty sure but it was an easy enough place for a quick lunch. Just go for the South Indian menu (dosa, idli, sambar).

Banana Leaf Apolo
    Good spot to try "Fish Head Curry". Apparently a south Indian dish (have never seen it served or on a menu on many trips to Mumbai and Goa. However is really popular in Singaporean South Indian restaurants.
    Again, it sounds weird but I was amazed at how much meat was on the massive head.
    This place isn't that great for north Indian food.

Ah Chew Desserts
    Only went for a dessert that wasn't fresh fruit with a few locals I met and they took me here, it has various deserts you don't really see anywhere else.

Lavendar Food Centre
    Very popular dim sum place. I would see this guy have non stop customers all day. Only tried him once because I would be in a hurry in the mornings, the Zoo was too far away from the city during lunch and I wanted to try a few different things.

Boon Tat Street Hawker Stalls
    Quick great satay place.

Adam Road Food Centre
    Another good Kway Teow place, also has some different sea food.

C.L.E.
    African food stall that I described at the beginning, initially seems to be out of the way and out of place but the quality of food is great.

Best time is dinner. Don't need to dress up this place is almost overly casual. Sometimes the owner is almost like a bar tender if you come late at night or when no one is around, really friendly.

They will offer 2 different types of meat, one is a dryer cured kind while the other is fresh cooked. I recommend you go for the soft fresh cooked one.
    There will be a variety of gravies offered, I tried nearly all of them over multiple visits. My favourite is the the gravy with okra in it. You will be served or offered some "suji" (mashed potato and flour) which I recommend you take. grab as piece and turn it into a scoop to pick up gravy or grab a piece of meat with.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Thanks guys! Way more information than I hoped for, or can deal with, to be honest. I'll look through to see if there are any places to get a good sit-down evening meal.
  • edited January 2014
    AH! It was Tiong Bahru, that's where Por Kee eating house is.

And hey, no worries dude. Anytime.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • That's just a few minutes walk from my hotel, but as a market place eatery it's probably not the best place for a Sunday evening.
  • All good man - I would personally, but that's my kinda scene, I definitely don't expect it to be everyone's.
  • I mean not the best as in probably not open.
  • That's a fair point, actually. I honestly couldn't tell you their hours. Sorry.
  • Just booked my hotel in New York City! I'm just about 6-7 blocks from Penn Station, Times Square, and Bryant Park. Soooo.... What do I do while I'm there?
  • UncleUlty said:

Just booked my hotel in New York City! I'm just about 6-7 blocks from Penn Station, Times Square, and Bryant Park. Soooo.... What do I do while I'm there?

Stay inside because it's fucking cold. And stay away from touristy areas because the Superb Owl is fucking everything up.
  • Well I'll be there from 2/12-2/14 so the Owls shouldn't be a problem. But having never been to NYC, what kinds of things do people tend to miss or ignore that they shouldn't? Also related; any food recommendations would be welcome as well. :)
  • UncleUlty said:

Well I'll be there from 2/12-2/14 so the Owls shouldn't be a problem. But having never been to NYC, what kinds of things do people tend to miss or ignore that they shouldn't? Also related; any food recommendations would be welcome as well. :)

• UncleUlty said:

Just booked my hotel in New York City! I'm just about 6-7 blocks from Penn Station, Times Square, and Bryant Park. Soooo.... What do I do while I'm there?

While this is a generic travel thread, New York is such a big destination (in many way) that it has its own forum thread.
  • edited January 2014
    What kind of food are you looking for? Cheap eats or expensive restaurant? Also, who are you traveling with? Let me know, and I'll post my recommendations in the NYC thread that Luke linked.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Sounds good - I just took the conversation over there!
  • So, I'll be in Baltimore from February 18 - March 21 for training. My hotel is in the Inner Harbor district, which is near the convention center that more than likely hosts Otakon.

I keep hearing things about how I should only travel on the streets in groups, but there will be times that I have to go out on my own.

For those who have been to BMore or Otakon, what do you recommend?

I've looked up districts of BMore: http://wikitravel.org/en/Baltimore . I hear that Inner Harbor and Fells Point are ok, but I should still be cautious.
  • Don't leave the inner harbor after dark alone.

Baltimore is the scariest city I've ever visited, and I was born in Detroit and travel extensively abroad...
  • Ro, I suggest walking around the Inner Harbor area with Google Streetview. This will give you an idea of where the borders of the nice area end.
  • Yeah. I've been doing that. I've also checked areas for a local grocery store. The nearest Trader Joe's is a 20 minute cab ride away, but by the express buss it's 40 minutes straight shot.

I have some lingering anxiety of not wanting to get shot/sliced.
  • Rochelle said:

Yeah. I've been doing that. I've also checked areas for a local grocery store. The nearest Trader Joe's is a 20 minute cab ride away, but by the express buss it's 40 minutes straight shot.

I have some lingering anxiety of not wanting to get shot/sliced.

Getting shot/sliced is rather unlikely. There are lots of offices in that area. If you go outside during business hours on weekdays there won't be much to worry about. If you go out while there is a convention, sporting event, or tourists are about, it should also be safe. At night just go inside and nerd. On weekends just leave Baltimore entirely.