This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Live Streaming Video

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about live streaming video, while streaming said video live (and discovering after-the-fact that the video ended up stuttery-as-fuck: sorry about that!). In the news, Caller ID by Google and a reputation data for phone numbers are angering a certain kind of person, Scott's english muffin problem proves unsolvable, and Scott reviews the iPad Mini Retina.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• I read that slashdot post and I can honestly say I have never heard the term "silicon beach" before.
  • I can honestly say that I've only had Android 4.4 for a week and I already am in love with the Caller ID.
  • edited November 2013
    Well if you want to go retro with the el Gato you should pick up one of these.

I am tempted to combine it with a PowerPak to achieve the ultimate in collection in one device.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Coldguy said:

I am tempted to combine it with a PowerPak to achieve the ultimate in collection in one device.

Or just use your PC with emulator and an HDMI splitter. Virtual Console Wii also works.
  • edited November 2013
    Apreche said:

Coldguy said:

Or just use your PC with emulator and an HDMI splitter. Virtual Console Wii also works.
    That too, although if you want to go the full 9 yards copy Lordkat's setup and simply have a dedicated streaming PC that captures everything from your main PC.

This will ensure the processes are kept different, and as long as you have a mixer to input the sound from the main PC, you can restart the main PC and stream the windows boot procedure if you wanted to.

Edit: Looks a little out of date but the concept is there for you to adjust it.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • I may have misunderstood but I basically drag and drop everything on to my iPad. It feels like a HD to me.

iBooks reads PDF and ePub.
    I use one of the many drag and drop video apps. I watch entire series easily.

FYI I use Mplayer. But probably tons of options.

No encoding here!
  • On my iPad, I use a VLC streamer app to pull videos off of my HTPC and save them to the iPad for later viewing. Works very well.
  • edited November 2013
    Matt said:

On my iPad, I use a VLC streamer app to pull videos off of my HTPC and save them to the iPad for later viewing. Works very well.

Ooh, that would work really well. Too bad I hardly ever watch videos I have downloaded anymore. Pretty much everything is on the Crunchyroll, YouTube, or embedded in a web page.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Dazzle369 said:

People who will use this: The people who are dumb enough not to have the PC where with all to get a proper setup but really want one. Also do not research on how to properly have one set up.
  • edited November 2013
    Apreche said:

Matt said:

On my iPad, I use a VLC streamer app to pull videos off of my HTPC and save them to the iPad for later viewing. Works very well.

Ooh, that would work really well. Too bad I hardly ever watch videos I have downloaded anymore. Pretty much everything is on the Crunchyroll, YouTube, or embedded in a web page.
    It's a rare use for me as well, but it's a very specific use. I have a gym setup at home which includes an elliptical machine and a wall-mounted iPad. In order to trick myself into working out regularly, I like to get into a show that I only let myself watch while working out, so it's typically something from my vault of torrented shit I never got around to watching, rather than something I'd be tempted to stream in a non-workout situation. This actually works.

If I were doing it all from scratch, I'd have gone w/ a cheap TV and a Roku or Chromecast, but the iPad 2 was collecting dust after my wife stopped train commuting, and some company sent me a box of unsolicited iPad mounts for review (whoo free stuff?), so it seemed like a good idea at the time. It's proven pretty convenient, so I took the mount w/ me to my new house.

Post edited by Matt on
  • I pretty much don't ever plug my iPad into my computer for iTunes syncing unless I want to put pirated movies on there, which I rarely do nowadays.

As for the Kindle app, for some reason it prefers .mobi > .epub files. Just send it to your kindle email address. That's how I was able to read Ender's Game without letting Card profit from it.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the new iPad mini retina, but I just got the mini a year ago. =/
  • Nvidia Shadowplay seems like it will be a solid option for streaming once it's properly finished.
  • I realize this is a bit dated, but I just got around to listening to this episode. If Scott wants to get bootleg .epub files onto his iPad Mini then I suggest he skip the Kindle app and check into using Calibre to manage his ebook collection. It will link up with iTunes and you can use it to send books to iBooks. I've been using it for years to send books to my iPod touch.
    As for the Kindle app... It's ok, but not really that useful unless you just don't want to have to carry another device around. It doesn't let you link up to Amazon's Kindle Lending Library (you have to have an actual Kindle to do that), so all it really lets you do is read stuff you've either bought from Amazon or uploaded to your Amazon account.
  • If I have an actual Kindle, and I get a book from the Prime Kindle Lending Library, will it appear in the app?

No, I didn't Google this. Yes, I could just try it and see. I'm not doing either because I have to sit at work for almost 3 more hours and I need to do things slowly to avoid boredom.
  • Put the book into the books thing in itunes. Might not show up in kindle app but everything will show up in books app. I primarily use books app and have tons of rpg books that I've pirated on there.
  • Apreche said:

If I have an actual Kindle, and I get a book from the Prime Kindle Lending Library, will it appear in the app?

You got me on that one. I don't own an actual Kindle to test it with (although I've been thinking about getting one of the B&W ones now that they're mad cheap). Theory would say if it's currently in your active reading list on the Kindle then it should show up on the app, but knowing Amazon they probably have some kind of voodoo going on where it prohibits borrowed books from showing up on the app.

• If you want a Kindle I have a used Kindle 4 I could be convinced to part with.
  • I use Mr. Number for my spam caller ID needs.
  • I just bought a used Kindle Wifi Keyboard for $30. I love this device. They wanted $75, but if watching Pawn Stars has taught me anything it's how to negotiate and I got a case with it to boot.