This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Silver Spoon

Tonight on GeekNights, we have a review of Silver Spoon. It's an eminently pleasant anime that lives up almost exactly to our pre-viewing "review" at Anime Boston earlier this year. But first, Rym recounts the horrible food poisoning he got from Hunter Mountain, we talk a bit about the Anime News Nina kickstarter, and remind you that the My Little Pony comics are pretty great.

We also have the video from our PAX Aus 2013 panel - Beyond Dungeons & Dragons, and we are officially appearing on THREE panels at MAGFest.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Empty Force Fail video reminds me of this classic:

Kiai Master vs MMA:

• Ah, the sorry tale of Master Yanagiryuken. Dude used to take offerings of 500,000 yen to fight him, and he'd give you a million yen if you beat him - then claimed that in 200 bouts, nobody had beaten him.

Here's a different angle on the same fight -

I do feel a bit sorry for him, though - Just because he bought it on himself, doesn't mean it's not a bit sad to watch a confused old man get repeatedly punched in the face.
  • Since you guys like Adventure Time so much, have you watched Steven Universe yet? There's only a few episodes out right now. I'm really enjoying it.

Never read Anime News Nina. You guys sold me on checking it out though.

I'll definitely watch Silver Spoon when I get some free time. Heard some good things for it.
  • edited December 2013
    Jukka Lampila and Master Yanagiryuken are Jedi masters!
    No metachlorians in Spain.

Wow Silver Spoon sounds like Agriculture School in Australia.

I just watched the first episode, this is super nostalgic for me.
    Favourite line so far
    Hachi - "How can something so tasty come out of an anus."
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Wow so I ended up watching the entire season.

Leave it to Japan to make Agriculture 101 entertaining and very accurate (the accuracy of the details provided was impressive).

There is some really weird and funny stuff going on with the 'fat' girl or it may be my misinterpretation of Japanese humour.
  • sK0pe said:

There is some really weird and funny stuff going on with the 'fat' girl or it may be my misinterpretation of Japanese humour.

Oh yeah, that's a bit strange - she just fluctuates between super skinny and pretty, and her usual size, essentially at random and within a matter of days. It's kinda weird.

• Regardless of issues with her appearance, I like that Tamako is actually an awesome character. Most of the time when you get the token fat person in a story they are the comic relief and are not taken seriously. Tamako is comical at times, but the jokes aren't making fun of her. She's serious, intelligent, and strong regardless of whatever shape her body happens to be in.
  • edited December 2013
    Apreche said:

Regardless of issues with her appearance, I like that Tamako is actually an awesome character. Most of the time when you get the token fat person in a story they are the comic relief and are not taken seriously. Tamako is comical at times, but the jokes aren't making fun of her. She's serious, intelligent, and strong regardless of whatever shape her body happens to be in.

Oh yeah, she kicks ass without a doubt. Despite the slightly weird and barely-explained business with her rapidly fluctuating shape, she's well written, has her place, never feels force into the situation, and is generally a pretty well-done character.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

Apreche said:

Regardless of issues with her appearance, I like that Tamako is actually an awesome character. Most of the time when you get the token fat person in a story they are the comic relief and are not taken seriously. Tamako is comical at times, but the jokes aren't making fun of her. She's serious, intelligent, and strong regardless of whatever shape her body happens to be in.

Oh yeah, she kicks ass without a doubt. Despite the slightly weird and barely-explained business with her rapidly fluctuating shape, she's well written, has her place, never feels force into the situation, and is generally a pretty well-done character.

I really like Tamako too, because she represents a more modern, business-centric type of farmer who really stands out against all the others in terms of her personality and dreams. Though seeing as she was the most brunt with people compared to the rest of the cast, I couldn't help but make a comparison...

I was really happy with Silver Spoon. I think the second season is going to deliver just as much because the more Hatchin settled into his environment, the more I really liked him.
  • edited December 2013
    Similarly, I remember you guys predicting that you'd like Chihayafuru but never got around to it. It's similar to Silver Spoon in that it deals with an uncommon subject, farming and slapping poetry cards respectively, with remarkable skill. Its definitely has more shoujo themes but its possibly the best sports anime I've seen.

It also has one hell of a soundtrack:
    Post edited by Fundefined on
  • I really liked Silver Spoon, but I can't entirely subscribe the "all the character designs are unique" thing. The show does a good job there, no doubt, but for some reason I can't keep tractor kid and annoying kid apart.

Also, they probably got the yeast from Moyashimon people (which also ran in noitamina) :)
  • Love it, love it, love it.
    Awesome find, and I dig the first season theme tune.
    Every picture of food makes me drool and go "Hohhhh"
    That Holstein club is hilarious and I want to put the principal in my pocket.
  • Has anyone been catching up with the 2nd Season? I have to say, Episode 6 took things up a notch and is really damn good.
  • Nukerjsr said:

Has anyone been catching up with the 2nd Season? I have to say, Episode 6 took things up a notch and is really damn good.

I watch every episode the day it hits the C-Roll.
  • It is still an excellent show.
  • I've been doing the laugh of that curly blonde girl at every possible moment and my husband is hurting.
  • Welp, the show just ended like that? I thought we had some more episodes. Wow. So Japan.

The anime seems to end when winter is starting. According to Wikipedia, the final manga chapter is Wintertime 33, suggesting the story goes all the way to the end of winter.
  • So that's it? There are really no more seasons? Man, still so much to find out about. I'm really disappointed, and my hunting for info hasn't yielded anything. I really wanted to see what happened to the guy who wanted to be a vet, Tamako and her brother, the cheese girl...
  • edited April 2014
    I think the manga is still ongoing, so there could potentially be more seasons of the anime in future.

I guess I'll take the same approach I took with Hajime no Ippo and just start reading the manga, and then if another season of the anime comes out I'll give it a go to decide if I want to watch episodes for chapters I've already read.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited April 2014

I think the manga is still ongoing, so there could potentially be more seasons of the anime in future.

It is. It's just past the end of the first school year, and is starting to ramp into the second, IIRC.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Most importantly, did the Holstein Club win the competition?
  • Yeah, but they did have a "The End" screen. I don't think they're going to make any more. Which is a shame because that ending didn't really have closure for anyone. Hachiken still doesn't have a dream, they didn't really resolve whether Aki goes to college or not. I understand why some of the other plots might not get resolved, but they could've at least finished up those two, even if they did have to deviate from the manga to do it.
  • edited April 2014
    Churba said:

It is. It's just past the end of the first school year, and is starting to ramp into the second, IIRC.
    I just went and looked at the episode summaries for the anime - yeah, it's WAY behind. There's at least another season's worth of stuff left for it to catch up on, looking at how they paced the last two - it's about four volumes behind at this point.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I had a look through; chapter 75 was, roughly speaking, the last manga chapter that was covered by the anime.
  • Really? I thought they were only up to the beginning of the winter arc from what I'd heard, but I'm not watching the Anime, so I don't really know.
  • Yeah; Hachiken's mother visits the school in the last episode of the anime.
  • Man, I want to join a pork fund.
  • I've resorted to watching Ben-to in the meantime. It would be nice if there was no boobie factor, otherwise, it's okay for now.