This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Smart Watches

Comments

• Starfox said:

True story: was window shopping one time in Munich. Saw a watch that had a price tag of 200,000+ euros. It didn't tell time.

Isn't that just a bracelet?
  • I couldn't tell all the things it was supposed to do but it had a whole fuckin' orrery and no hands.
  • Very few Apple products appeal to me, but we can all admit they make the best watch. Yes, it costs more than others, but that's not the equation right now. Their watch is definitely the best.
  • Matt said:

Very few Apple products appeal to me, but we can all admit they make the best watch. Yes, it costs more than others, but that's not the equation right now. Their watch is definitely the best.

It's too big. Apple Watch 2.0 will be the best watch.
  • Apreche said:

Matt said:

Very few Apple products appeal to me, but we can all admit they make the best watch. Yes, it costs more than others, but that's not the equation right now. Their watch is definitely the best.

It's a tad on the thick side, but even the big version is pretty comparable size-wise to other watches I've seen (referring to just digital and analog watches).
  • MATATAT said:

Apreche said:

Matt said:

It's a tad on the thick side, but even the big version is pretty comparable size-wise to other watches I've seen (referring to just digital and analog watches).
    The Pebble Time is a completely normal sized watch in all aspects. Apple Watch 2 will be as well. You can count on it.
  • edited September 2015
    Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

Apreche said:

Matt said:

The Pebble Time is a completely normal sized watch in all aspects. Apple Watch 2 will be as well. You can count on it.
    I was actually curious about this and here is what I found.

Pebble Smartwatch: Case: 52mm L × 36mm W × 11.5mm T

Apple Watch: (this is 42 mm one) Height: 42.0mm × Width: 35.9mm × Depth: 10.5mm

Pebble page

Apple Watch page
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • That's the giant old pebble. The new Pebble Time is

40.5 x 37.5 x 9.5mm
  • edited September 2015
    Ah gotcha. Although personally I think a mm depth is somewhat negligible.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • MATATAT said:

Ah gotcha. Although personally I think a mm depth is somewhat negligible.

Yes, in absolute terms a 1mm difference is small. But using a relative measurement, it's huge. Almost 10% smaller. It makes a big difference.
  • Yay. My biggest problem with the pebble was the design.
  • Ooooooooo, I want one but I'm already getting Pebble Time Steel.
  • I'm not into the circle. People seem to want new technology that looks like old technology. As if they're afraid of the future. They want the convenience and power of the future but the aesthetic of the past. I want the aesthetic of cyberpunk dystopia. I want the aesthetic to match the reality. Jetson it up in here!

Just don't gamer PC case it, because hideous is hideous.
  • Apreche said:

I want the aesthetic of cyberpunk dystopia.

He say you Blade Runner
  • Wins the competition for smallest looking screen? That huge round bezel is huge.
  • Wins the competition for smallest looking screen? That huge round bezel is huge.
    The thing I like to say about pebble is that while everyone else is making smart devices for your wrist, pebble is making a watch that happens to be smart. The bezel size doesn't matter because you're not supposed to spend a lot of time in the menus.
  • I know a few people who want a real watch, and a stylish one, that just so happens to have some tiny bit of smartness built in.

I am not a watch person, so I do not understand these people. But maybe this new Pebble will please them.
    The thing I like to say about pebble is that while everyone else is making smart devices for your wrist, pebble is making a watch that happens to be smart. The bezel size doesn't matter because you're not supposed to spend a lot of time in the menus.
    I understand this. It's hard to do a round screen, as you can see by the black slice at the bottom of the Moto 360 watch. I knew when I saw the promo video for that watch that the round face must be faked, because a round screen still needs space for the connector and driver. Pebble seem to have decided that the biggest bezel in the world is better than a non-round round screen.

That said, this Pebble Round is the most elegant watch of theirs yet. While I'm not a fan of the weird ridges on the white bezel, it does look good on the woman's wrist. Except, you know, the screen itself, which looks super low resolution and with dull colours.

Also I notice that they've massively sacrificed battery life for thinness. "Up to two days" is what I get with my Apple watch so far, and it also can get "a full day of power" in about 15 minutes of charging. It seems like Pebble now understand that charging every night is a trade-off people are willing to make for a smart watch that both looks good and functions well enough.
  • Here's an alternative for your wrist: Smart bracelets.

• Daikun said:

Here's an alternative for your wrist: Slap bracelets.

• I think I've learned good lessons from my first ever try at being an early adopter.

I bought an iPod Nano, years after the first iPod came out, and after years of using non-Apple mp3 players. It was magic! I thought "I wish I'd bought this three years ago!"

I bought a MacBook to use as a travel computer.I never touched my home PC again, and the MacBook became my only computer. It was just better in every way than any other laptop or PC I'd owned before. I thought "I wish I'd bought this three years ago!"

I bought an iPhone 3GS. It was my first smart phone, though I'd owned an iPod Touch for a while. It was amazing! GPS, maps, a decent camera, apps! I thought "I wish I'd bought an iPhone when they first came out!"

I bought an iPad Mini Retina when they first came out. It changed my life in terms of reading and video watching. It's like the perfect device for media consumption. I thought "I wish I'd bought this years ago!"

This year, when the Apple Watch came out, I waited a few months, then bought one. My plan was to avoid the "I wish I'd bought this three years ago" moment, and the regret that my life could have been slightly better for those three years if only I'd bought the first version.

The Apple Watch is really cool, and I enjoy wearing it, and a lot of the features are both a lot of fun and really useful.

But I'm missing the "Wow! Magical! Life changing!" moment I had when I started using the iPod, MacBook, iPhone and iPad Mini. And the reason is simple: I skipped the first versions of all those things.

When I thought "I wish I'd bought this three years ago", the "this" I had just bought didn't exist three years previously. The iPod Nano was amazing because it was so small and sleek. Three years previously iPods had spinning hard drives and were six times the size.

Three years before my MacBook was released, the Apple laptops were called iBooks, only ran OSX Tiger, and OS updates cost $129 each.

I loved my iPhone 3GS, in part, because of the 3G and the S... S standing for speed. You know, the 3G and the speed that the original iPhone didn't have. And it didn't have GPS or a camera, no apps, or even cut and paste. So it would have been impossible to have the 3GS years previously, as it simply didn't exist.

Same with the iPad Mini Retina. In this case, I specifically waited until the Mini had a Retina screen, as I knew that would be my perfect size and resolution. And it was. What has remained my favourite device just wasn't available before I bought it.

It's not just Apple devices either. My Canon 60D is the best camera for my use cases ever. All the features I love simply didn't exist together in a single camera before it was released. I got a GoPro Hero 3. Amazing little camera! I wished I could have bought it years before. But it didn't exist years before.

Which brings me back to the Apple Watch again. I don't regret buying it at all, but I do regret not having the immediate magical introduction. It's merely a good gadget.

In two or three years time the new version will have better apps, more speed, better connectivity, native GPS, more sensors, custom watch faces, custom complications, better uses for the buttons, different navigation, etc. In two or three years, someone will buy the watch for the first time and have the magical introduction, and it will immediately impact their life. But not me. I'll get some of the improvements along the way.

• Picked up a Pebble from a convention swap meet for $25. This is awesome.
  • I'm very annoyed that my Apple Watch has run out of battery hours earlier than normal over the last few days. Today it only got to 3pm. This is evening more annoying because I have a 27 streak going filling all the fitness tracking circles. If my streak breaks due to not having battery to last the day, I'm going to be pissed.

Time or original?

Time or original?
    Original. It's in great shape. No visible scratches or damage. The guy said he wore it for a month and then never again.
  • Maybe it's haunted.
  • You say that like it's a bad thing.
  • Manufactured on the site of an ancient indian burial ground...