This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game Hype Thread

Comments

• That game looks like what the fighting mechanics of Final Fantasy should have been. I don't know if I'd personally be into it / buy it, but I definitely approve.
  • First Hive is on Steam, now Zooloretto, what's going on here?

• I'm more hype for the OST than the game.
  • Apreche said:
    I mentioned this at irc yesterday. And I repeat here what I said there. I'm not sure that the world is ready for more Shadowgate.

• Apsup said:

Apreche said:
    I mentioned this at irc yesterday. And I repeat here what I said there. I'm not sure that the world is ready for more Shadowgate.

I don'tthink it's more Shadowgate. It looks like the same Shadowgate only fancier looking. At least it won't be Shadowgate 64.
  • This is a pretty good rule of thumb. At least ______ won't be ______ 64.
  • The original Shadowgate would probably do well if each death was animated in glorious, gory detail. Do that, and add a large amount of "lore" to the game, and you're set.
  • Matt said:

This is a pretty good rule of thumb. At least ______ won't be ______ 64.

Have you ever played or even seen Shadowgate 64? It's beyond the normal level of 64-ness.

• Apreche said:

Matt said:

This is a pretty good rule of thumb. At least ______ won't be ______ 64.

Have you ever played or even seen Shadowgate 64? It's beyond the normal level of 64-ness.
    Nope. I will have to educate myself. When I read this, a few -64 "classics" came to mind: Castlevania, Superman, Mega Man, Kirby, etc.

• Apreche said:

Apsup said:

Apreche said:

I don'tthink it's more Shadowgate. It looks like the same Shadowgate only fancier looking. At least it won't be Shadowgate 64.
    I'm pretty sure I saw mention of some new puzzles and such, it's not pure HD edition, but a remake.

• Kirby 64 is the only Kirby where you can become a fridge, though.

When I was younger, I used to buy a lot of NES cartridges at the flea market. Usually they were all laid out on a table in the sun for $5 each. I was looking for Shadowgate when I happened upon Milon's Secret Castle. I asked the guy at the table if it was anything like Shadowgate, and he said 'yes'. It was a big lie, and I know it's not Shadowgate's fault, but I've never forgiven it since.
  • Hype for Amplitude on Kickstarter - this game was a significant part of my life in high school.
  • The Binding of Isaac Rebirth is looking incredible. It is a remake of the original Binding of Isaac but with more content, more polish and many of the ideas the dev wanted for the original but was unable to do.
  • Rebirth makes me really glad I held off on playing the original. Controller support was the dealbreaker.
  • Transistor. May 20th. I'm really excited for the soundtrack as well. I played a demo while at PAX East 2013. I loved Bastion, so I'm pretty sure I will love this game.

I think my HTPC video card does not meet the requirements. D: Also this game is released when I leave for Baltimore for 6 weeks. It would be the perfect game to play when I'm away.

I thought about getting a gaming laptop, but I honestly wouldn't use it that much.

HOWEVER, I was planning on eventually getting a PS4....
  • Whos gettin hype for watch dogs?? haha image
  • johndis said:

Whos gettin hype for watch dogs?? haha

Charts like that make my blood boil.
  • edited May 2014
    johndis said:

Whos gettin hype for watch dogs?? haha

I'm pretty hype regardless. The price I paid for the Game + Season pass - which gives me everything but the physical stuff I don't give a shit about, plus access to all future DLC - was about as much as you expect to pay for a brand new AAA title in Australia anyway, so whatevs.

I mean, look at the rest of the stuff. Badges? Dude, I can make them trivially. A silk-screened facemask? Same deal. Cap? Easy. AR cards? I have a printer. Map of Chicago? Google maps, cuz. Packaging, statue? Meh. Steel Game case? I prefer my games digital, and I can make one myself if I wanted one that bad. Soundtrack? Cheaper when it inevitably comes out on google play and itunes store. The artbook is nice, but you'll be able to get high-res scans of it on the internet within 24 hours.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Most of the DLC is like 1 mission packs or a costume and shit like that from what Ive seen too. I'm jsut gonna get the base game!! There are so many games in the world I dont get how anyone's brain gets fixated enough on a single one to seek out more content.
  • edited May 2014
    johndis said:

Most of the DLC is like 1 mission packs or a costume and shit like that from what Ive seen too. I'm jsut gonna get the base game!! There are so many games in the world I dont get how anyone's brain gets fixated enough on a single one to seek out more content.

I've seen that they're planning to release new mission and cosmetic packs, but no indication of size of the future packs - the stuff that comes at release isn't the end of it, predictably. If the T-bone pack we already know about is any indication, they should be beefier than single missions.

They're claiming it's an entire new single-player campaign - though I personally doubt it will be as long as the regular campaign, who knows? They did delay the game for more than a year, the campaign was reportedly completed in time for the previous release date, and it's been in development since 2009, I don't doubt they've still got some tricks up their sleeve that we're yet to see.

Still, like I said, I paid as much for all that as I would have paid buying any other AAA title here, so I'm not hugely concerned about it either way. I get more for the same price, bonus dude.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Early reviews say Watch Dogs is not worth the money.
  • edited May 2014
    HMTKSteve said:

Early reviews say Watch Dogs is not worth the money.

That's news to me. I've only seen positive reviews so far, but I've not seen many, maybe two, and to be honest I've only properly read one. I've hardly been seeking them out - for better or worse, I already own it, so reading reviews isn't going to change anything for me.

Can you link me one or two of the ones you've seen, just out of interest?

Post edited by Churba on
  • Here be the controversy:http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/05/20/watch-dogs-reviews-release/

Tldr: ubisoft set an embargo date for reviews. Some reviews posted early and some gameplay videos uploaded. Single player is OK but multiplayer is not. There is also something to do with a mixed mode that if you turn it off the game punishes you.
  • edited May 2014
    Thanks man. That's pretty interesting - better review than I expected, considering your first comment about it, but still, a little disappointing. Though, admittedly, not quite as bad as it could have been - I'm not as interested in the singleplayer, and it seems to indicate that the singleplayer campaign is at least pretty decent, so no worries. The gameplay vids are interesting too.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Meh, most of the "leaked" reviews are complaining about the resolution and how the graphics of Watchdogs on the XBox One aren't as good as expected. That doesn't affect me too much, since I intend to get the game on the PC anyway.

Can't comment too much on the multiplayer, but from the gameplay walkthroughs I've seen, it looks like fun. Perhaps the multiplayer was crippled a bit pre-release?
  • VentureJ said:

Meh, most of the "leaked" reviews are complaining about the resolution and how the graphics of Watchdogs on the XBox One aren't as good as expected. That doesn't affect me too much, since I intend to get the game on the PC anyway.

Same with comment sections the internet over. Inevetably, it just turns into a competition about who can paraphrase the most of the bad reviews without getting caught, amidst the usual Console Vs PC dick-fencing.
    VentureJ said:

Can't comment too much on the multiplayer, but from the gameplay walkthroughs I've seen, it looks like fun. Perhaps the multiplayer was crippled a bit pre-release?

Probably. I was chatting with a chap the other day about just that thing, and he was saying that he doesn't like to review games with online components - or at least, multiplayer online components - before launch and rate them on it, because it's basically just a sparse collection of gaming press and devs, rather than the seething throng of regular gamers immediately post-release. Recons that it doesn't give a very good - or at least, very accurate -picture of how the multiplayer feels and plays once you get it out of that small, controlled environment.

That said, I also know very little about the more traditional style multiplayer. They've not showcased it as much as the drop-in-drop-out contracts stuff. Though it does sound kinda dumb that if you opt out of the contract stuff, it resets your progress. I assume they have a reason, but it'd want to be a fucking good one.
  • Wasn't there an issue with the game going on presale boasting 1080p with 60fps on console and it releasing at a lower resolution?

I still have it on preorder and will likely still buy it (I never play the mp side of ubisoft games) for the single player experience.
  • edited May 2014
    HMTKSteve said:

Wasn't there an issue with the game going on presale boasting 1080p with 60fps on console and it releasing at a lower resolution?

I still have it on preorder and will likely still buy it (I never play the mp side of ubisoft games) for the single player experience.

There was, but it was Sony claiming it would run 1080/60 on the PS4 on the Playstation site, not Ubi making the claim. At that point, the only thing they'd said to that effect was that they were using "absolutely identical" assets on Xbone and PS4, they hadn't released any details about resolution or framerate on either console.

Also, remember on that link you gave me, how Ubi were talking about real reviews? The first officially sanctioned review to be released...Was by Conan O'Brien. Seriously.

Post edited by Churba on