This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Space Dandy

Comments

• Alright, so I was only half listening to this episode, but I don't remember you guys addressing the fact that they die at the end of the first episode. Also there is some definite anti-american, or possibly pro-american subtext going on in this show it s difficult to tell with all the antics thrown it.

I have concluded, however, that it is pretty fruitless to examine this show in the context of a hard sci-fi as it is as soft as it gets. It kind of feels like they just wanted a wacky adventure set in space.

The boobs are for us, not for the fictional characters, not even a little bit.
  • edited January 2014
    muppet said:

From reading pilot blogs I've learned that it's pretty common for a crew to be a team that sticks together, but changes planes. At least, it was common for the guy whose blog I was reading regularly. Pretty neat, actually. They work crazy long hours, though, which is a little scary given that they're driving around multi-ton flying machines going hundreds of miles an hour.

It's common for everybody. It's pretty much standard procedure - you start your shift with one crew, and most of the time, that's the same crew you'll end it with, and it's pretty common that it's not the same plane. Especially if it's an international flight, where it's all but standard.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Re: Rym's opening discussion of butt men vs breast men: http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02222007
  • Great episode guys. Some pretty good banter this time around as usual. Seems like there is a lot of discussion about boobies and the origin or boobs etc. Guys, get it together! Just enjoy all them boobies! Woo!

Also, I have never watched the dub yet which I would like to very soon, and I found it funny that Gogol is called Commodore Perry? Was I mistaken in hearing that? Pretty funny. To English (American) Audiences it presents the bigass army as America (As a country) seemingly attacking the world, but in Japanese it seems like they are commenting that Google is trying to take over the world. Sure it is an American company, but I thought that little difference was pretty interesting.

Of course some parallels can be drawn to Cowboy Bebop with woolongs and the team who made the anime, but damnit I can't help be feel like this show is the perfect bridge between Outlaw star and Bebop. Or perhaps the lovechild of them both.

Bottom line. This anime ROCKS! Dying for the third episode. I just keep watching the first two back to back.
  • Space Dandy is my new favorite anime of all time. I think I may even like this better than Cowboy Bebop, and that's.. wow.
  • Right now, I'm not really impressed by Space Dandy aside from the character designs and the animation. Madcap zaniness has to really try to get me laughing to work. But I did laugh the one time with the Ramen Guy's backstory. So I slightly have more hope, but it still needs to step up it's game.
  • I've watched the dub and the sub, and I honestly think the dub is a bit funnier (and has a better ending theme). Not sure which I'm going to stick with.
    Pimp Jet?
  • If Jet was a simian. Totally.
  • edited January 2014
    Note: it's also the same (Japanese at least) voice actor.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited January 2014
    What is the hilarious outro from?

See below.
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • edited January 2014

Double sided space ship dildos...
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • edited January 2014
    Found it!

Post edited by okeefe on
  • Nukerjsr said:

Right now, I'm not really impressed by Space Dandy aside from the character designs and the animation. Madcap zaniness has to really try to get me laughing to work. But I did laugh the one time with the Ramen Guy's backstory. So I slightly have more hope, but it still needs to step up it's game.

I feel like that as well. It might have been the dub but I turned the show off about half way through the Boobies bit as it was just dull.
  • edited January 2014
    Watched the show in Japanese. I'm really diggin it. I hope it actually is in the same universe as Cowboy Bebop.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I think it's time we all wove little thread about Space Dandy.

Space Dandy (スペース ダンディ Supēsu Dandi?) is a Japanese anime series directed by Shinichiro Watanabe and produced by Bones. The series follows Dandy, an alien hunter who is "a dandy guy in space", in search for aliens with his robot assistant QT and a space cat named Meow.

Ok, three, two, one let's jam!
  • Another thread about it? There's one right on the front page of the forum!
  • It seems that some people think it improper to use the show thread for a "proper" thread on a subject.

These people are incorrect.
  • Watched the show in Japanese. I'm really diggin it. I hope it actually is in the same universe as Cowboy Bebop. Redline.

• edited January 2014
    I'm excited for this show. A critically acclaimed staff making a humorous tongue-in-cheek show as a triumphant return to television. A science fiction program with the balls to commit to drawing a plethora of aliens while its constituents rest on their laurels. A secret of space plot that is somehow also hilarious and entertaining on multiple levels. What's not to love?

The first thing I saw from this show was a gif set of Meow full of all these intriguing animations and scenes. I was reminded of Jubei Mitsuyoshi from Blazblue and King Kazuma from Summer Wars. I kind of admired him for a minute there... then I learned more about him. "I can't believe I liked you?!" -Doctor Coco Oh well, he's still interesting, if kind of pathetic. All three are pathetic in one way or another, but there's more to them. Flaws of a character are like the little details that separate vivid paintings from minimalist ones. A bumpy road can be more exciting than a smooth ride I guess.

I know it is a lot to ask considering how high they've set the bar, but I'm hoping the episodes are pretty consistent. I don't care if they have confined episodes that aren't very flashy, I just hope the story can make up for the times when the art needs a breather, and vice versa.
    Post edited by Viethra on
  • Dromaro said:

It seems that some people think it improper to use the show thread for a "proper" thread on a subject.

• This show reminds me of Red Dwarf. A tiny bit.
  • This show reminds me of Red Dwarf. A tiny bit.

Smeg off does it.
  • edited January 2014
    Amp said:

This show reminds me of Red Dwarf. A tiny bit.

Smeg off does it.
    An apathetic/blase captain, a dim witted cat, and a robot. They are only missing the arrogant hologram.
    I admit it's a weak association, but that's what I immediately got from it :)
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • It's Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo in space. Not getting the Cowboy Bebop vibe at all.
  • Dandy even has a Swordfish!
  • I think the only reason people think it's in the Bebop universe is that they use woolongs as currency, which I think was just intended as an in-joke and not a confirmation of a shared universe... but I may have missed other references. I mean, it also has the sort of "Jetsons style truck stop in space" thing going on...
  • They are only missing the arrogant hologram.

Does the the hologram on the Boobies rewards card count? :)

• Apreche said:

Dromaro said:

It seems that some people think it improper to use the show thread for a "proper" thread on a subject.

You know, when you put it that way, I'm gonna have to agree with you. That extra one was unnecessary. I suppose I thought this one wouldn't be used for the show's discussion or converted to a dedicated one like the Kill La Kill one. You learn something new everyday.
  • That happened because the Kill la Kill thread existed before the show thread, which is pretty normal.