This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Complete Idiot's Primer to Becoming a Convention Panelist

2»

Comments

• Rym said:

The title just has to be a little controversial: that will draw a crowd in almost any case.

Our PAX East panel this year is tentatively titled "Why no one will game with you". That'll draw a crowd, but no one will really know what to expect. ;^)

OMG I am in love with this.

• What is the popular opinion on puns in the title? I want to do a play words in the title of my panel idea for applying Sun Tzu's Art of War to Warhammer 40K.
  • muppet said:

I don't have too much fear that Rym or Scott would give me preferential treatment, but boy, aren't they handsome in that video? I mean wow. ;-)
    And for Connecticon 2014, I've already missed the first submission deadline, but I know they take submissions until mid-April (with a diminishing chance of being selected as slots fill up.)

Rym & Scott aren't the only people that process panel applications (points to self). Where's my flattery?

In all seriousness though, a solid title, a concise, grammar and spelling correct description, and a co-panelist are all good things to have. The first two demonstrate that you have thought about your panel and put effort into it. The latter makes running the event easier for you by sharing the work, and more fun for all as everyone has a different perspective to add.

Don't let the first deadline discourage you from submitting if you really want to. As an attendee, you don't know the quantity or quality of submissions before you, so as long as the form is open you should submit!
  • I had actually missed the first deadline and I still submitted mine yesterday. Of course I'm sure all the handsome/beautiful panel reviewers will weight it justly. :)