This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Firefly

edited January 2006 in Role Playing Games
We have just picked up the Firefly RPG and played a couple of sessions. Not to bad really but its kind of early to judge the rules yet. I love the 'verse its set in. Anyone else try it out?

Comments

• I wish I could, but our RP group is still a bit scattered to the winds. Aside from a one-off we did one weekend, I haven't been able to play ANY game in person in quite some time -_-

I'm curious as to the system. The thing that I love about the 'verse is the way it flows as a place, so I suppose I don't see how I'd really need much more than what, say, GURPS has to offer in terms of game mechanics.

Is it mostly source material and world information, or is it rules-heavy?
  • I actually bought the book, along with the A Game of Thrones RPG, and an indy press game called Burning Wheel, all around Christmas. Unfortunately, I chose to read Burning Wheel first, and I've not read another RPG book since. It's that damn good, and I'm an absolute fanboi of the source material of the other two games, particularly Firefly.

I thoroughly recommend anyone who hasn't heard of Burning Wheel to check it out. It will change what you think about roleplaying, especially the role of the GM/DM.

That said, I do want to run a Serenity game at some point in the future. Everyone I roleplay with (except for that one guy... Grr, That Guy!) loves the show and the movie, so its just a matter of time.
  • Rym said he saw a demo of burning wheel at a con once. Judging based solely on his cursory description it is totally worth checking out.

Oh, and if you didn't know. I'm also that one guy who doesn't like Firefly.
  • Yeah, I played a Burning Wheel demo run by some of the game's developers at Ubercon last year. Admittedly, they only took me through the combat system, so I don't know much about the other aspects of the game, but it was interesting to say the least.

Imagine simultaneous combat instead of the more traditional turn-based D&D type systems. It's complicated, but once someone knows the rules, combat becomes a quick, brutal, tactical endeavor. Single strikes inflict massive realistic damage and fights tend to be very short. (as compared to D&D 3rd ed fights...)
  • The firefly system is pretty nifty. We have done alot of whitewolf stuff so its nice to break out the d4's, d8's, d12's and such again. :) Instead of having a numerical value for each stat or skill you have a die value. So if you have an agility of d6 and a handguns of d8 you roll a d6 and a d8. Then you add them toghether to hit a target # to succed.
  • Scott: You and my 'That Guy' should totally compare notes. Quite frankly, I fail to understand how either of your heads manage to not cave in from the emptyness. Firefly is god's gift to his children. You heathen.

Rym: Oh, man, you got to be in a session with the designer, Luke? I've heard about the sessions he runs. And yeah, the combat rocks, but that's just the beginning. The game has an actual mechanic for dealing with verbal conflicts within the game, called Duel of Wits. Very similar to fighting, except instead of, say, Striking and Blocking, you might make a Point, or Rebut. And you actually roleplay the exchange. Certainly shook the dust off my formal debating skills the first time I used it in a game. There's more, but I don't want to threadjack Scooter's discussion any more than I already have. If anyone is interested in Burning Wheel, go to burningwheel.org for the goodness, or start a separate thread here for me to answer your questions.

Scooter: It does sound good. I haven't used such a wide variety of dice since Alternity in the late 90's. The only problem I see with the game is that my players will all want to make a bunch of Jayne clones! Hell, I'd want to.
  • thaneofcawdor,
    LOL, jack away. I'm not jealous of my threads but thank you for the courtesy.

You are right. Jayne was a fun character. If I had a group that went that way I'd make them mercs instead of merchants. Luckily, my group is fairly diverse. We filled the mech, captain, business guy, and muscle roles.
  • So you know, I also don't like Star Trek.
  • yea, Scott they are completely different types of shows..

Do I even need to comment on this thread?
  • edited November 2009
    I heard about this and had to look it up.. Sigh.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited November 2009
    Awesome. Now I feel a strong urge to watch Firefly a second time (Yes, I've only watched it once).
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I saw it when it aired. Castle isn't bad, so I catch it when I can. However, the real reason I watch it is to see Mal... I mean Nathan Fillion.
  • So, I totally Scott Rubin'd this show for the longest time, but yesterday I started watching it and got hooked. I feel so dumb for never having watched this before.
  • Congrats, dumbass.
  • Congrats, dumbass.
    Well, to Scott Rubin it would be to poo-poo it for months before you watch it sit down with a group of people who drag you in to watch it, complain the whole time while watching it and then say afterwards that it was nothing special.
  • Well, to Scott Rubin it would be to poo-poo it for months before you watch it sit down with a group of people who drag you in to watch it, complain the whole time while watching it and then say afterwards that it was nothing special.
    Did he really? Geez.
  • Congrats, dumbass.
    It's ok, you're still <3'd. When you watch the movie, make sure to listen to what Joss Whedon says before it. It's pretty amazing how that movie came to be.
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    Well, to Scott Rubin it would be to poo-poo it for months before you watch it sit down with a group of people who drag you in to watch it, complain the whole time while watching it and then say afterwards that it was nothing special.
    Did he really? Geez.
    I get the feeling that to him, Star Wars is the king of all Space Westerns/Space Operas and it must have jaded him completely to any and all other ones.
    EDIT: I never thought I'd see/hear myself write/say this, but I'm finding Star Wars more boring each time I watch since I've seen it so many times. Firefly and other similar shows are a breath of fresh air.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited January 2010
    Watching Firefly makes me really want to watch Brisco County Jr. again.

You have all seen BCJ... right?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Nope. Does it have Firefly's sense of humor? I'm itching for something else in that vein to watch.
  • edited January 2010
    Well, both BCJ and Firefly are short-lived sci-fi westerns that aired on Fox. Both have smart-tounged, badass main characters. Though BCJ is significantly less "serious" than Firefly, a lot of story and character elements remind me of those in Brisco County Jr. But if you're asking about humor, then BCJ definitely delivers.

I was mostly making fun of the way people talk about Firefly with that line, but BCJ is really worth watching. It's a sci-fi set in the old west rather than a western set in the future/space, which is pretty unique afaik.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Just started watching Firefly again for the first time in 3 years. Glad to say the first few episodes still hold up. The cast and crew put a lot of love into this show.

I agree with Sail Brisco County, Jr. is a great show and would recommend it. A much lighter fare but still great.
  • I'm really enjoying the firefly references in Mass Effect 2. Everything from "the Blue Sun" mercanery corp to a character saying "Lets go and be big damn heroes" to mentions of family on new Canton.
  • Finished the series yesterday. Watching the movie today.
  • edited January 2010
    Movie was definitely not as good as the series, but it was a fitting ending. It main problem with it was that it mainly featured my least favorite character, River, and also that THEY KILLED WASH, WHAT THE FUCK.

But yeah, definitely going to pick up the comics ASAP.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • and also thatxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
    Come on, don't you know that's Joss Whedon's special move?
  • and also thatxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
    Come on, don't you know that's Joss Whedon's special move?
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean I don't think it's bullshit.
  • Yeah, but that doesn't mean I don't think it's bullshit.
    I just wanted to say "Joss Whedon's special move". But seriously, watch Buffy and see characters you've grown to love get whacked out of nowhere.
    I just wanted to say "Joss Whedon's special move". But seriously, watch Buffy and see characters you've grown to love get whacked out of nowhere.
    R.I.P. Oz.
    I've got the season 1 DVDs sitting on my desk, can't wait.