This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

ConnectiCon 2014

Comments

• eggs said:

If you're interested, there will be a celebrity game of CAH panel Saturday night, hosted by TeamFourStar. We will be auctioning off a spot in the game for charity at the auction Saturday afternoon.

WHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYY.jpeg
  • For charity.
  • I refuse to doubt the entertainment value of a group of Z-list idiots playing a game. I thought the Royal Rumble panel at PAX sounded dumb and I had to eat crow.
  • While true I think it's a pretty fair bet to say that this event will have 100% less breaking fake beer bottles over other peoples heads, and Omega Driving cardboard cutouts of an opponent through a table.
  • edited May 2014
    Coldguy said:

Because. Also, I have just decided to have you be the staff member in charge of that room. And you can't say no, because I'M YOUR BOSS! Well, one of them. Oh, and just kidding.
    Post edited by eggs on
  • eggs said:

Coldguy said:

Because. Also, I have just decided to have you be the staff member in charge of that room. And you can't say no, because I'M YOUR BOSS! Well, one of them. Oh, and just kidding.
    Their panel was really well received last year and they'll probably hook Doug Walker in again. Their humor is maybe not my cup of tea, but they are excellent at working the crowd. Everyone has a great time and I'm pretty sure the only complaints we got were that they needed a bigger room.
  • Unfortunately, due to my obligation to a summer program at Berkelee School of Music, I will not be able to be in attendance this year. The rest of Clan TvH will be present on Friday, but leaving to come back to Boston early Friday evening. It pains me to write this, as it will be the first CTcon I've missed since it was first at the Hartford Con Center, but this program is simply too big an opportunity to miss.
  • We'll welcome you back next year for sure!

You're making the correct decision in this case.
  • Their panel was really well received last year and they'll probably hook Doug Walker in again.

For the celebrity game of CAH, TeamFourStar asked me to secure additional guests. They will be joined by LittleKuriboh and the Nostalgia Chick, along with the auction winner. 1 additional guest may join, but Doug is already doing so much I don't want to overwhelm him.
  • Greg said:

It pains me to write this, as it will be the first CTcon I've missed since it was first at the Hartford Con Center, but this program is simply too big an opportunity to miss.

And we will miss having you!!! I don't want to make you feel any worse, but my plan was to give you an early birthday present at the con on Friday: an 18+ wristband.
  • I'm genuinely touched. Even if I can't have it, I appreciate the thought.
  • I will not be attending this year as my panel got turned down. I shall have to work on my pitch I guess.
  • I will not be attending this year as my panel got turned down. I shall have to work on my pitch I guess.

You could buy a badge and be an attendee like most people.
  • Apreche said:

I will not be attending this year as my panel got turned down. I shall have to work on my pitch I guess.

That's on top of finding a hotel (good luck by this point), transportation, and food. Plus getting time off is a bitch and a half in the contract security business. And honestly, I wanted to get up and talk to people about stuff. No real biggie, I'll just have to try again next year.
  • Apreche said:

I will not be attending this year as my panel got turned down. I shall have to work on my pitch I guess.

• Apreche said:

That's on top of finding a hotel (good luck by this point), transportation, and food. Plus getting time off is a bitch and a half in the contract security business. And honestly, I wanted to get up and talk to people about stuff. No real biggie, I'll just have to try again next year.
    It's not PAX. You can get a hotel. Food is something nobody can get because it's Hartford. Even if your panel was accepted, that's only for one hour of your time at the con. 98% of your convention time will be identical with or without panel acceptance. If it's not worth it for you to go to the con without the panel, it's not worth it for you to go with it either.
  • We actually had to turn down a lot of good stuff this year. Fewer (but much larger) panel rooms coupled with many more guests than we've had before multiplied by getting more submissions than ever.
  • Does that mean no homestucks?
  • Rym said:

Does that mean no homestucks?

http://connecticon.org/site/event/15881
    Love it, love everything about it.
  • Rym said:
    I saw that the other day. I am simultaneously intrigued and terrified by the idea of working that panel room.
  • I'm kind of sad that my money panel is not in it since I've just gotten the science down right but whatever, I'm still doing three of these things. That Homestuck panel is going to be some next level shit, I can't miss that one.
  • edited May 2014
    So a cranky old guy gets to sit at a table for an hour and let punk kids talk at him about Homestuck?

How did that beat out Sun Tzu?

Edit: Clearly more of a morbid fascination with how that will go than any interest in what a dead Chinese tactician has to say.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • Jack...I hate to break it to you...but your becoming that panel guy. Instead of complaining that your panel got accepted you should ask what you should do in the future to get accepted. It could be your subject matter, the initial pitch, or even the audience is not at that con. Start there and get better.
  • Coldguy said:

Jack...I hate to break it to you...but your becoming that panel guy. Instead of complaining that your panel got accepted you should ask what you should do in the future to get accepted. It could be your subject matter, the initial pitch, or even the audience is not at that con. Start there and get better.

I know. I'm going to work on it. Warhammer 40K is quite niche from what I've seen at other conventions.
  • Most conventions at some level are going to toss a few bones to the unwashed masses to at the very least stick them in one place for a while and stop them from doing mass photoshoots in the smallest hallway for at least a few hours.
  • Because that "old guy" has done like a zillion really awesome panels for many years in a row.
  • I would go to that panel because WTF is a homestuck?

I say it in jest, but also with sincerity, but also with an idea that it may be better to not get an answer.
  • Does that mean no homestucks?

There are other Homestuck events, because if I didn't put any the fandom would revolt. I have, however, relegated them to the panel room we have in the hotel.
    Jordan O. said:

I'm kind of sad that my money panel is not in it since I've just gotten the science down right but whatever, I'm still doing three of these things.

Which is your money panel?

• Intro to Martial Arts Cinema is my bread and butter panel that is for sure my most popular. But I have done it the past two cons so I just figured you guys where not so hot on the same panel running three times in a row. It's all good, just give me more time to re-vamp it.