This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Aereo

2»

Comments

• edited July 2014
    The broadcasters would like to think that Aereo is a cable system for some purposes, and not for others. It seems they're going on WPIX, Inc. v. ivi, Inc. here, so I can understand why they would at least try to argue this, but in the wake of the SCOTUS decision it's a pretty weak case on their part.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Funny when the unintended consequences of your court victory lead you down a worse road than the one you fought against.

Yes, the previous precedents you cite are in favor of the broadcasters opinion but they are also counter to what SCOTUS decided.

What I do not know is whether or not Aereo would be forced to carry and support the public access channels or if it would have to negotiate deals with every municipality that they want to offer services in. They would work similar to the AT&T U-Verse product but AT&T is an incumbent and I think they worked out state wide licenses where they operate.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Funny when the unintended consequences of your court victory lead you down a worse road than the one you fought against.

Is it really worse for them? This way Aereo has to pay the statutory license, rather than nothing.
    HMTKSteve said:

Yes, the previous precedents you cite are in favor of the broadcasters opinion but they are also counter to what SCOTUS decided.

Eeyup.
    HMTKSteve said:

What I do not know is whether or not Aereo would be forced to carry and support the public access channels or if it would have to negotiate deals with every municipality that they want to offer services in. They would work similar to the AT&T U-Verse product but AT&T is an incumbent and I think they worked out state wide licenses where they operate.

Yeah, there's definitely some interesting legal questions that come up if Aereo is indeed a cable system under the law.
  • I thought the networks hated the entire idea of Aereo not just the revenue loss. Why else would they now be fighting to prevent them from operating as a cable company?
  • HMTKSteve said:

I thought the networks hated the entire idea of Aereo not just the revenue loss. Why else would they now be fighting to prevent them from operating as a cable company?

They don't want Areo to operate at all. The ability to continue to get local stations live in HD without an antenna allows a lot more people to cut the cord and just get Internet service. The fact that someone is offering such a minimal content package at a reasonable price undercuts their entire business, regardless of how it works technologically or legally. The cartel will be broken it's possible for new competitors to arise.
  • Now they have the chance to sell off their technology.

Well, shit. Now the new owners will charge it up the ass.