This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Prosumer vs Professional: A Case Study

Tonight on GeekNights, as Scott buys an expensive camera and Rym buys some wireless equipment and ridiculous microphones, we discuss the differences between "prosumer" technology and "professional" technology. The latter isn't just better: it's more difficult to use effectively in most cases. In the news, Twitter will soon have a weak integration with Amazon, and police tell us not to use technology to solve our own crimes, while refusing themselves to use said technology to solve crimes.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• The spelling and grammar in that Magic Mirror blog post is so bad I almost stopped reading it many times. And the final mirror looks useless. He should have installed lights to shine at the viewer, to ensure a good reflection, not just rely on ambient light.
  • Other notes:

I posted on twitter this morning "If @amazon also recognized #AmazonWishlist along with #AmazonCart I'd link my accounts today."

Rym, when are you in Hamburg?

"Fucking Outside" music comes in at 56 minutes.

As an ex-professional sound technician, I can back up what you are saying about avoiding professional radio mic equipment. When I was doing outside broadcasts and location filming (and half of my job was recording music concerts and conferences), there was a chart I had to refer to that would say which frequencies I was allowed to use in which cities around the UK. When we went to Germany or the Netherlands we had to make sure our licenses were valid.

Also, when working on cruise ships, there are some ports where the stage crew have to turn off the radio equipment in the show room, as those frequencies aren't allowed in that country or city.
  • Oops. I'll quietly remove the fucking when I get a chance. Threw this one together exhausted and promptly fell asleep. ;^)

I'm in Hamburg for one full day next Friday. Meeting a bunch of our customers there, spending the night, and then flying home the following morning.
  • Rym said:

I'm in Hamburg for one full day next Friday. Meeting a bunch of our customers there, spending the night, and then flying home the following morning.

Them's my old hoods! Wake up at 6 AM and walk down to the fish market for the most delicious hangover foods ;-)

• Albinism cosplay option:
  • A few notes:
    Falcon Pro has lists on mobile I use them all the time. Brizzly allows you to mute someone but it is not timed and requires a manual off process.

Nerdiest Albino goes to Steve "Snowball" Saylor who recent did a comedy album called "Too White for 30" and the "These Warriors are Terriable" podcast.
  • I'm a little confused by the reference to Lists not being available in the Twitter mobile app. Unless I've misunderstood, your lists are available in the "Me" section on both iOS and Android?
  • Finally found it out of work:

• etyek said:

I'm a little confused by the reference to Lists not being available in the Twitter mobile app. Unless I've misunderstood, your lists are available in the "Me" section on both iOS and Android?

It is available, but you have to go to your profile and scroll down to lists. I find that bothersome.

I want to be able to access my lists on both on the iOS app and on web browsers through the main feed page. For iOS, instead of the "Find People" icon, they should put the "Lists" icon there and it pops up a menu to select whatever list you want to look at. It would be nice for swiping as well for favorite lists you want to access easily. I never use "Discovery" on the iOS app.