This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Adventure Time in Continuance

Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss the continuing seasons of Adventure Time! While we did previously review Adventure Time, it's definitely worth further discussion. As the seasons have gone by, it's become increasingly dark, pointed, and serious. We've brought the big guns with our good friend and Adventure Time expert Judith. In the news, Ghost in the Shell: Arise Borders one and two are screening in several cities, and the delightful Drops of God is ending in June. The GeekNights Forum is continuing to rock, and you should be there.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• After seeing PB's disguise in The Tower, she clearly has the desire and the means to manipulate people in desperate situations. But can she really make a costume that holds up as well as Phlannel Boxingday? That Martin costume was pretty threadbare.
  • edited May 2014
    pence said:

After seeing PB's disguise in The Tower, she clearly has the desire and the means to manipulate people in desperate situations. But can she really make a costume that holds up as well as Phlannel Boxingday? That Martin costume was pretty threadbare.

You're right. Someone who can time travel, make gumball guardians, and clone James couldn't possibly create a high quality disguise. Clearly the low effort Finn's Dad costume is her best effort.

/sarcasm

Obviously she just didn't work any harder on the costume than she had to, given the circumstances. If anything the Finn's Dad costume further supports the fact that she is Phannel Boxingday, by showing that the costume trickery is one of her go-to moves.

There may even be a surprise at some point where it is revealed that some other character has actually been one of her disguises all along.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Also:

Two arms?!
  • We watched the episode just before the show, and I also noticed that. Rym and Judith said it had a high percentage chance of animation mistake.
  • I am only now considering showing my daughter Adventure Time, as she is turning three. Hey, I'm trying to raise a superhuman over here. We only introduced TV a year ago, so I figured she should be watching stuff more directed at her level. Not gonna be crazy dad forever though. At some point (soon) the floodgates are definitely going to be thrown wide open.

Also, I'm only partially into season 2, so daddy does have a lot of Adventure Time he wants to watch.
  • Matt said:

Also, I'm only partially into season 2, so daddy does have a lot of Adventure Time he wants to watch.

Oh man, you haven't even gotten to the things that cemented Adventure Time as one of my favorite shows.

• I am most definitely looking forward to this cement. I still haven't gotten through season 3 of Archer, yet, either. I don't make a lot of time for TV and movies, so I should make a list of what I've been watching and reassess these priorities.

• Throwing in my two cents into the mix.
  • Binged season 5 yesterday. Good day for procrastination. :/
  • My biggest question from Season 6....

How did Finn's dad end up in the Citadel to begin with? He's evil in that deadbeat, crappy dad way, but I'm wondering how he did a crime so heinous to end up there. It doesn't need to be explained, but I think we need something to prove Martin's cunning.

And I'm also really curious as to what the arc with the Lich Baby/Tree Trunks/Mr. Pig goes.
  • Nukerjsr said:

My biggest question from Season 6....

How did Finn's dad end up in the Citadel to begin with? He's evil in that deadbeat, crappy dad way, but I'm wondering how he did a crime so heinous to end up there. It doesn't need to be explained, but I think we need something to prove Martin's cunning.

And I'm also really curious as to what the arc with the Lich Baby/Tree Trunks/Mr. Pig goes.

He's space Hitler.
  • Not sure what 10 year olds are getting out of this:

But I love it! Fall!
  • 10 year olds may not necessarily get it, but they will get that it's "cool and scary."
  • edited May 2014
    The Lich said:

You are alone child [...]
    You are strong child [...]
    I am the end
    And I have come for you, Finn

Finn = no longer a child. But maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Also, can we get that guy to read I hope you like text?
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • edited May 2014
    By "that guy", you mean Ron Perlman?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • "Baby's building a tower into space.
    Space is where he's gonna find his dad."

Can't stop humming this one.

Also relevant to how much a child Finn is. It's not linear for him. Maybe for any of us.
  • Churba said:

O shi you're right! Who knows Ron Perlman? Ask him to read this in his LICH VOICE and record it for great justice.
  • Cans we also have him read it in his Sons of A anarchy voice as well? More for shits and gigs, but it'd be kinda cool.

But yeah, because of this thread , and then a flight on Jet Blue where I watched recent eps of the show for 3 hours and had the best flight ever... I resolved that one must catch up on this show; and I'm happy to say I just wrapped season 3. And the rest are coming soon.

I've been seeing enough little hints and spoilers that at this point I just wanna blow through all ze episodes, so i can get some semblances of complete story and context for everything and the spoilers aren't drawn out.
  • So Finn lost his virginity to LSP?
  • edited June 2014
    Churba said:

My girlfriend's cat that lives at her mom's house is like the animal lookalike to Ron Perlman.

He's got the right jowels.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Rym said:

So Finn lost his virginity to LSP?

Not literally, but I think that's the subtext of that scene. The whole episode (Breezy) actually has creepy undertones. Finn is suffering from depression and he has some meaningless make-outs to make himself feel better, but it only makes him feel worse. Breezy is friend-zoned and uses that to touch Finn's flower. Finally, LSP takes making out farther than Finn wanted to go.

Also Finn literally gets wood while hallucinating Princess Bubblegum and has an orgasm.
  • Rym said:

So Finn lost his virginity to LSP?

I wouldn't be surprised if LSP's idea of "lumping out" isn't quite what the rest of ours is...
  • Been slowly cathing on to Adventure Time, finished season 5 a while ago and stared up on 6.

I feel that the amount of times where I go "that's kinda fucked up" during or after episodes, has gone way up. There was a little of that in early seasons, but it has gone way up season 5 alone had a bunch of "kinda fucked up" stuff. Still I love it, and partially because of that.
  • edited July 2014
    Guys, Anime Pulse hasn't reviewed anime episode-by-episode in years. Their lineup of hosts has changed quite a bit, too. Like Finn, they've grown up a bit.
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • Guys, Anime Pulse hasn't reviewed anime episode-by-episode in years. Their lineup of hosts has changed quite a bit, too. Like Finn, they've grown up a bit.

I'm surprised they still exist.
  • Either way, Adventure Time episodes the last few weeks have been amazing. So reals, much feels.
  • Don't mess with Peppermint Butler.
  • Pen Ward stepped down as the series' showrunner.

It seems he did that sometime during season 5 without any formal announcement.
  • I never realized he was actually still working on it at all. I thought he was doing other stuff like Bravest Warriors.