This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sailor Moon returns to the U.S.

Viz has licensed all of Sailor Moon!

Yes, all of it! The old series, the new series, and even the unreleased Sailor Stars! Watch the series from the beginning--uncut and with a new dub--on Neon Alley starting this Monday!

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Dub only? No sub?

Oh, the video says there is a sub.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited May 2014
    I'm not reading that. That blog is too visually confusing to read comfortably. What's the jist?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited May 2014

I'm not reading that. That blog is too visually confusing to read comfortably. What's the jist?

Some wackjob hates the idea of Sailor Moon being uncut and is boycotting the series because it's not the Americanized DiC version.

Also, the first four episodes are up on Hulu!
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • I want to play the Sailor V video game.
  • Episode 6 was much significantly better than the previous episodes. Usagi is actually acting on her own initiative. Tuxedo Kamen didn't need to come save her. The villain was actually prevented from collecting any energy at all. And on top of all that, there were some single episode characters that had a side story that wasn't worthless.
  • Episode 6 also had Norio Wakamoto which makes everything a 1000% more awesome.
  • Brand said:

Episode 6 also had Norio Wakamoto which makes everything a 1000% more awesome.

I fail. I didn't even notice.

• Those aren't Mardi Gras beads, Sailor-V.
  • I just thought I'd mention that I've been enjoying the fuck out of this since it started showing up on Hulu. I only ever saw the heavily Americanized dub that was missing seasons and all the homosexual characters and gender swapped others and I don't even know what. Sailor Mercury just showed up! Woo!
  • So that guy used a Star Wars analogy and used it incorrectly?

This sounds like audiences were forced to only see Greedo shoot first and when confronted with the original version the author freaked out because Greedo is supposed to shoot first?
  • His entire argument seems to be based on a misunderstanding that the DiC version is the original presentation... but I admit that I stopped reading every sentence somewhere around 30% of the way through.
  • muppet said:

I just thought I'd mention that I've been enjoying the fuck out of this since it started showing up on Hulu. I only ever saw the heavily Americanized dub that was missing seasons and all the homosexual characters and gender swapped others and I don't even know what. Sailor Mercury just showed up! Woo!

Me too. Not ashamed.

I am kind of excited about Crystal. It always bothered me how much the TV show went monster-of-the-week instead of following the actual plot in the manga. Naoko's creepy way of drawing legs will take some getting used to in animation, just like it did in the books, but whatevs.

• Yeah what is up with those elongated vaguely horse-like legs?
  • That's how she draws everything. Maybe she never studied anatomy. Maybe she just likes it that way. I dunno.
  • Sailor Mercury uses her computer in ep 9 to find the clock monster. The text on the screen is from Robocop's HUD in various scenes of the movie. Never noticed that before. LMAO!!
  • muppet said:

Yeah what is up with those elongated vaguely horse-like legs?

Nuri said:

That's how she draws everything. Maybe she never studied anatomy. Maybe she just likes it that way. I dunno.

She drew the manga when she was 14. Even she was aware that her old artwork was shoddy.

http://yamino.tumblr.com/post/27076253548/rosalarian-crapheadslaphead-deactivated201
  • Watched the first episode of the original... I think I'll wait for the remake.
  • Okay, so far it's pretty close to the old series. The first episodes are almost the same. Let's see where it goes!
  • It feels slower paced than the original but has better establishing shots.
  • Not as pumped as I was now that I've seen the first episode...

The animation is a little derp at times. This peaked in the transformation sequence, where obvious and lazy cell-shaded 3D suddenly and jarringly stabbed me in the eye.
  • Those buns though.
  • edited July 2014
    I really love how pretty and vivid it all is, I like the character designs in motion (love Usagi's anti-grav hair!), and I even don't mind the CGI model at this point (though, that did take watching the sequence more than a few times to get used to). It's still an enjoyable update to the old story, and I'll still keep watching it with great pleasure, especially once they start getting to the stuff that really deviates from the first anime.

What I'm having the biggest problem with so far, though, is that they're focusing so much on keeping everyone pretty all the time that they sacrifice a lot of the great facial expression work from the first anime and even the manga. The characters all hold that same doe-eyed expression so much of the time, just with changes in the mouths and eyebrows -- and that makes them all feel like they have less energy and personality than they could. There are only a couple instances I can think of where they really let themselves get silly, like when Usagi comes home and gets kicked out for her low test score (dat door kick, lol).
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • So far, it's not an update to an old story: it's a straight remake.

Unless it diverges away from the original show and toward the manga, I worry I will rapidly lose interest.
  • Well that's your perogative. A stright go of the comic is what I am here for.
  • I'm just waiting for Naru to find out the sad truth about why her family store is having a 95% off sale.

There is also some divergence from the original show. Instead of throwing a rose, he tells sailor moon to shut her trap.