This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Crash Course

edited May 2014 in Everything Else

Slaughterhouse Five is often called an anti-war novel, but that raises a question: what does it mean for a novel to be against war? [...] Can they actually change the actual world?

PLEASE DO STARSHIP TROOPERS.
Post edited by Starfox on

Comments

• PLEASE DO STARSHIP TROOPERS.
    As a strange counterpoint to an antiwar novel like Slaughterhouse Five? While I enjoy Heinlein, he really was very pro military/war. There is a reason why Starship Troopers is/was required reading for all US Marines.
  • I'd really like to read/watch an analysis contrasting Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land. Or even a documentary chronicling Heinlein's sociopolitical shift throughout his work.
  • zehaeva said:

As a strange counterpoint to an antiwar novel like Slaughterhouse Five? While I enjoy Heinlein, he really was very pro military/war. There is a reason why Starship Troopers is/was required reading for all US Marines.

I was thinking more along the lines of "actually change the actual world". Whatever else you say about it, you can't deny it was important.
  • I'm not really sure that Starship Troopers to Stranger in a Strange Land really does constitute a shift in Heinlein's thinking. One is fervently pro war and fascism, the other is about personal freedom and free love. I don't recall much overlap in either novel, really. In a way Starship Troopers is also about taking personal responsibility for your own, and societies freedom, so I guess one could think that it ties in with Stranger.

I'm curious about the ways that you think that Starship Troopers has changed the world? Are we talking about just the idea of powered armor and such or the ways that is has been incorporated into our military services?
  • Aww yeah!

The whole thing:
  • Get your learn on, the Green brothers teach the history of everything.

Yes, everything.