This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Hansa Teutonica

Comments

• I use Reddit to generate hard-ons when people post huge piles of rare old video games they snagged for $2 on /r/gamecollecting
  • Rym said:

Mostly, it's that I find the conversations on even "major" reddits to be mostly insipid at best. I visit only for links, and never for comments or discussion.

I tend to find the biggest subreddits to be the least helpful. All the same problems that Digg and Youtube exhibit.

I happen to spend a lot of time browsing obscure archaeology and artifact subreddits, as well as ones related to beer and meat. The small communities tend to be more helpful, I find.
  • Rym said:

Mostly, it's that I find the conversations on even "major" reddits to be mostly insipid at best. I visit only for links, and never for comments or discussion.

This has always sorta been my view on Reddit. I really only go to the Game Deals Reddit for the links. At times I also think that Reddit tries to have the raw creativeness that occasionally comes out of 4chan but rarely succeeds. Instead it sorta just becomes a place for those things (I usually mean memes) to perpetuate into the mundane.
  • I rarely look at comments anywhere, especially Reddit.
  • MATATAT said:

Rym said:

This has always sorta been my view on Reddit. I really only go to the Game Deals Reddit for the links. At times I also think that Reddit tries to have the raw creativeness that occasionally comes out of 4chan but rarely succeeds. Instead it sorta just becomes a place for those things (I usually mean memes) to perpetuate into the mundane.
    There's a handful of smaller subreddits that I frequent, but I generally stay away from larger subreddits. The larger they are, the worse they tend to be - the exception being the few that are moderated with an iron fist, like the "AskScience" group of subreddits.
  • German Amazon is selling Hansa Teutonica for 23 Euros with shipping being another 17. That's still half as much for the asking price of anyone else.
  • More games with no tiebreaker:
    Agricola / Le Havre / Ora et Labora / Caverna (Agricola amusingly suggests a second game of Agricola)
    Caylus
    Terra Mystica

I've seen Hansa Teutonica nearly end in a tie several times, but it hasn't happened yet. The first time I played Ora et Labora it ended in a tie (190/190/182... I kept the score sheet).
  • pence said:

The first time I played Ora et Labora it ended in a tie (190/190/182... I kept the score sheet).

That was a good spread of points that I was involved with :P. Also there is Pantheon: Rise of the Ageans which has 15 different tie breakers, borrow one of them for your selections.
  • First to throw the game off the roof wins.
  • Here's a question, does anyone know where I can get the Hansa Teutonica expansion? I don't really care about the gimmicky "ticket to ride" route cards, but an entirely new and different map? I'd love that!
  • Here's a question, does anyone know where I can get the Hansa Teutonica expansion? I don't really care about the gimmicky "ticket to ride" route cards, but an entirely new and different map? I'd love that!

I found it on amazon UK by a seller at $100 plus shipping. I am trying to find ways to simply print the board out myself and not make it look butt.

Reason I am doing this is that board GREATLY changes your tactics to the point where playing on it is vastly superior.
  • edited June 2014
    Coldguy said:

Here's a question, does anyone know where I can get the Hansa Teutonica expansion? I don't really care about the gimmicky "ticket to ride" route cards, but an entirely new and different map? I'd love that!

I found it on amazon UK by a seller at $100 plus shipping. I am trying to find ways to simply print the board out myself and not make it look butt.

Reason I am doing this is that board GREATLY changes your tactics to the point where playing on it is vastly superior.
    I would LOVE a high quality scan of the expansion board that I could print out and mount on cardstock or something. I've tried looking on BGG for one, but the only images seem to be pretty low quality.
    Post edited by jabrams007 on
  • Amazon.de for 17 euros.
  • ThatGent said:

Amazon.de for 17 euros.

It appears that it can not be shipped to the USA :(
  • Someone in local game group is sellin their copy for $35. Snatch!
  • The video cutout of the review is now up.

Share it to the wind if you want more of these. TO THE WIND!
  • Coup needs more then one play thru....Rubin.
  • Cremlian said:

Coup needs more then one play thru....Rubin.

I guess there might be at least a few people on earth who are not smart enough to figure out that entire game in one play through.

• Yea, I'd like to see you win a game of it :-p
  • I'm going to be in Germany at the end of next week. I will make every attempt to buy a few expansion boards.
  • Cremlian said:

Yea, I'd like to see you win a game of it :-p

Vote for me to win, and I'll win.

• I forgot you don't know how to play a game that involves bluffing:-p
  • Cremlian said:

I forgot you don't know how to play a game that involves bluffing:-p

Bluffing doesn't work against skilled players in simple games, and is a highly political mechanic.

The best case is testing "liar's fatigue" over many plays.

Optimal strategy involves bluffing a certain percentage of the time, and assuming that other players are bluffing a certain percentage of the time, irrespective of the behavior of those other players.

• edited June 2014
    We all know Rym is good at Bluffing.

Are you saying that Rubin is good at Bluffing?
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Cremlian said:

I forgot you don't know how to play a game that involves bluffing:-p

Except Netrunner involves bluffing and Coup is entirely political.

Of course, you wouldn't be brave enough to challenge me to an actual game of skill. Just like you wouldn't challenge Michael Jordan to basketball. If I come down from my mountain to play a baby game with you, I lose no matter what. Simply playing is an admittance that the game has any legitimacy.
  • Scott is terrible at emotionally manipulating others in the course of a bluffing game. I suspect he'll win a baseline random percentage of the time he plays games like that.
  • I'll play you in any game we have a reasonable same level of experience playing. (not sure what that game is though) Advanced Wars?
  • Rym said:

Scott is terrible at emotionally manipulating others in the course of a bluffing game. I suspect he'll win a baseline random percentage of the time he plays games like that.

The one time I did play it, I played nearly optimally. Everyone was eliminated but myself and one other player. It was impossible for me to win at that point regardless of any bluffing or manipulating. Literally every decision available was to lose unless the other remaining player was incredibly stupid.

The fundamental problem with coup is that the very end of every game of Coup is a two player game of Coup. Two player coup is a really stupid and pointless game. The end of every game of Coup is a really stupid and pointless game.
  • Rym said:

I'm going to be in Germany at the end of next week. I will make every attempt to buy a few expansion boards.

I would be happy to take one from your hands if you are able to locate one.