This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Sportsmanship

Comments

• I love to watch Mike Tyson knock people out in the first round, but that may be influenced by the fact I'm watching on YouTube, and not paying for PPV.
  • I would love to see more challenges like this:

3 Olympic fencers against 50 average fencers. Just so cool. It's a way to see just how much better the best are than the majority.
  • F1 races where the pack is left in the dust annoy me. I understand there can be great racing for positions otherwise, but, for example, the '96 race at Albert Park where the two Williams cars lapped the entire field and the only question left was whether Villeneuve's car was going to break was not fun in the slightest. I more or less stopped actively watching the last couple of seasons because it was just Vettel Vettel Vettel.
  • There is a 2 pros vs 100 kids soccer challenge floating out there, and it is equally entertaining. I also want more.
  • F1 races where the pack is left in the dust annoy me. I understand there can be great racing for positions otherwise, but, for example, the '96 race at Albert Park where the two Williams cars lapped the entire field and the only question left was whether Villeneuve's car was going to break was not fun in the slightest. I more or less stopped actively watching the last couple of seasons because it was just Vettel Vettel Vettel.

Well, it's not Vettel anymore. This is inevitably going to happen in a sport where the equipment both matters, and is not equal for all competitors. You saw the same thing happen in that one olympics where people had that different swimsuit. You also see it happen in CCGs where some people have fancy cards, and some people don't.
  • This is true, and it's a shame that the new rules are limiting the amount of development and tweaking that can happen through the season. 2010 was the first season of F1 that I seriously watched and you could see the teams working and trying to find ways to gain their own advantage and match what the other teams were doing. Remember the McLaren F Duct?
  • They should change F1 and make it where everyone has identical cars to see who the best driver is. Then have F-Zero, where car regulations are much less limited, and we can see the best car.
  • Apreche said:

They should change F1 and make it where everyone has identical cars to see who the best driver is. Then have F-Zero, where car regulations are much less limited, and we can see the best car.

Indycar had everyone run the same chasis and engine up until 2012 when they introduced different engine manufacturers. I think the lower Formula levels like Formula Renault and GP2 do as well. You may like yourself some sports car racing, though, if you want more variables in your racing.
  • Apreche said:

They should change F1 and make it where everyone has identical cars to see who the best driver is. Then have F-Zero, where car regulations are much less limited, and we can see the best car.

So, NASCAR then.
  • Apreche said:

So, NASCAR then.
    Uh, no. I'm thinking more like Redline.
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

So, NASCAR then.
    Uh, no. I'm thinking more like Redline.
    Well, if you truly wanted identical cars, NASCAR is basically it. The cars are so tightly regulated that any difference between them is purely cosmetic. Of course, the tracks all being nearly identical ovals makes it more boring than say an F1 track with multiple types of turns in both directions.

There used to be an IROC series years ago (not sure if it still exists) where people raced identical cars (Chevy Camaros, if I recall from when I watched it once) on tracks that were more complicated than your standard NASCAR ovals.
  • NASCAR and IROC don't really demand much in terms of driver skill besides endurance. How would it be if Ferrari Produced 12 identical F1 cars and 12 drivers took them out for a spin. Make the race short enough so that they don't have to pit, that way different pit crews won't even come into the equation. It will be purely about driver skills.
  • We've had this same motorsport conversation many times in the past on this forum. Blah blah... turns out the races determine the best driver but the resulting sports aren't so fun to follow.
  • Endurance for NASCAR and IROC? Blah... There is a whole class of endurance car racing as typified by the 24 Hours of Le Mans. That's endurance. :)
  • Le Mans? Blah... Dakar Rally. That's endurance. :)
  • We should just PLAY motorsports. Scott, we should travel for a weekend to do some for-real god damned karting. Get someone to video, prove who's faster.
  • If you want to only test driving skill, and nothing else, just play video games and select the same car and character.
  • My point: karting karts are notoriously inconsistent. You'd have to swap cars every race.
  • If you want to only test driving skill, and nothing else, just play video games and select the same car and character.

Choice of game already matters too much, and Scott doesn't play non-Netrunner games anymore. ;^)

• Go get us so much money we don't have to work anymore. Then we can race GT-Rs every day.
  • edited June 2014
    "Not unlike that Ducktails game that was bullshit"

Sir, we are going to fight and you are going to walk away with a pogo-cane up your arse.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • Scott's one step closer to reenacting Initial D.
  • Conan-San said:

Sir, we are going to fight and you are going to walk away with a pogo-cane up your arse.

Don't worry, the programmers made it so that once every so often, the pogo cane will completely fail, so there's a chance you'll be fine.

• edited June 2014

Of course, the tracks all being nearly identical ovals makes it more boring than say an F1 track with multiple types of turns in both directions.

You don't actually follow NASCAR, do you?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Of course, the tracks all being nearly identical ovals makes it more boring than say an F1 track with multiple types of turns in both directions.

24 out of 29 of those tracks are ovals.

• edited June 2014
    Churba said:

Of course, the tracks all being nearly identical ovals makes it more boring than say an F1 track with multiple types of turns in both directions.

24 out of 29 of those tracks are ovals.

They are ovals, but they are different kinds of ovals. Short track ovals are very different from 1 mile speedways and super speedways. Phoenix has a weird shape. Arguing that all ovals are the same is like saying that Albert Park is the same as Monaco or Monza is the same as the Circuit of the Americas.
    This is Martinsville, a half mile oval

and this is Talladega, a very long super speedway track

It is still fairly dull to watch, unfortunately.

Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Yeah, I think it could do with a highlight reel.
  • Fairly dull? I just watched bits of both of those and... and... and... wtf?
  • Matt said:

Conan-San said:

Don't worry, the programmers made it so that once every so often, the pogo cane will completely fail, so there's a chance you'll be fine.

oh you mean the hard pogo mode that you can turn off? That one?

• Pocono raceway is a triangle! Still boring as fuck.