This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Antivirus! D:

edited October 2006 in Technology
We've been using VET antivirus for years now (found it very effective and easy to use) BUT the program just got "updated" to CA Antivirus (I believe Vet was bought out by CA some time ago) and frankly CA sucks ass. Holy crap. I didn't especially want to change over in the first place but support for VET is being withdrawn now, the bastards.

So anyway, now I've got CA Antivirus installed on the home computers and...it needs to die in a fire. The interface is STUPID. It'll scan and find all these horrible things on the system and then...sit there. There's no button to tell it to delete/quarantine so I'm at a loss. I exit the program thinking that maybe it's done all that automatically (pretty sure that's what it's supposed to do) but nay for when I reopen CA Antivirus and rescan every thing's still just sitting there. I'm pretty sure now, after some poking about, that it's because all these viruses are zipped/archived (came in on spam email :/) and apparently CA therefore refuses to touch them which is stupid, especially after Vet used to happily get rid of similar things. Argh! I could just search out and delete each infected file individually every time I get an alert but that's just dumb and a waste of my time!

So, Internets, I implore you: a) does anyone know how to fix/workaround this or b) can anyone recommend another Antivirus program? Any help appreciated! I'm sick of CA. No hurry seeing as we have a firewall and other things and at least all the "threats" are accounted for and not about to randomly up and get out of their zip files by themselves. Just...ARGH SO DUMB.

Comments

• Use Linux. Have proper network security. Make sure you have ClamAV or something checking e-mail attachments on your e-mail server. Keep up on your software security updates. Don't worry about shite like anti-virus programs.
  • I get McAfee free from Comcast.
  • I use Norton and haven't had any problems.
  • I use AVG personal edition which is free but gets regular updates.