This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows Vista

edited October 2006 in Technology
OK windows vista is coming out and when should you update if at all? There are a lot of cool things with vista and its supposed to be really advanced and blah blah blah but I don't really knows it looks good but I've herd a lot of things about it taking up a ton of memory running nothing. and i'm not sure but does it wipe your hard drive.

Comments

• edited October 2006
    Don't get Vista. DRM is bad. Use Linux.
    I guarantee it.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Future-quoting is awesome.

On topic, I don't think it would be worth the price of upgrading from XP or whatever you're using now. Sure it might look prettier, but it's not that an important part of an operating system.
  • edited October 2006
    You know what, I'll just forget vista. OSX already looks and works a million times better. Besides, vista RC1 runs very well on my macbook (not macbook pro) with aero and all that fancy eye candy.

I switched to mac about two months ago, and I couldn't be happier. I knew I didn't want vista for the long term after I installed beta 2 on my old dell laptop.

Linux is alright, but it doesn't have the software, compatibility, or the look of what I want. I mean, open source is great and all, but it leaves a lot to be desired.
    Post edited by glimpster on
  • My lunch is almost over, but I have a question: my personal budget will finally be ample enough so that I can purchase a replacement PC. I was considering Vista for a while because although I've been raised on Macs (since the IIgs to the Powermac 6750) I've used Windows since college. I'm REALLY SICK AND TIRED OF WINDOWS. I have to run all kinds of junk like Counterspy (which takes up all of my RAM), Registry Mechanic 4.0 and Ad-Aware SE. Windows XP Home has been too "dumbed down" for my tastes, but Windows XP Pro has too many things that I don't need. After a major crash in which I lost $160.00 worth of music, I've had enough.

I've been considering an iMac with a 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or a low-level Mac Mini with extra RAM, but I've also considered Linux for a second OS. At home I only need a PC for term papers, podcasts, net surfing and Audacity with at least 1GB of RAM for video and multitasking. Which is better: a Mac with Linux via Bootcamp, or stick with Windows because it's easier and my tasks are small (for the moment)? I also need someone's opinion on their first trial of Linux.
  • When should you update?

I think you mean "when should I upgrade?"

The answer is: "When you buy a computer that comes with Vista pre-installed."
  • Better still, buy a 64 based PC with Vista x64 installed. More secure, for however much THAT counts.
  • I say stick with XP or change to Ubuntu Linux. Or you could get a Mac (osx) if your into digital imagery.

My biggest fear about Windows is Direct X 10 being Vista only, this sucks major donkey balls if this is true, I'm happy to stay on XP but being forced to upgrade so i can continue to play new PC games is really an evil thing.
  • ... game developers would have to be absolute morons to make their new games directx 10 only and limit their sales in an already niche market, I'll bet good money 9 is going to be supported for years to come with 10 being optional if you want the highest quality. Sounds fair enough to me
  • My biggest fear about Windows is Direct X 10 being Vista only, this sucks major donkey balls if this is true, I'm happy to stay on XP but being forced to upgrade so i can continue to play new PC games is really an evil thing.
    This is basically my main issue. I'm really just happy with XP. I'm used to it, and it does what I want it to do. Maybe if I can find the money I'll make a separate computer and ruin it was Vista so I can play Crysis, maybe.
  • Crysis is overrated. Apart from the graphics it brings very little to the FPS genre, just your general old Ghost Recon-ish gameplay. In reality, it is mainly the Dx10 flagship game with the whole Games for Windows initiative.
  • It's really hard to call a game overrated when its not even out yet.
  • I've got a box full of PC games that I haven't even touched after buying about ten years ago. Why would I upgrade???

I still have not gotten around to completing Baldur's Gate!
  • Thanks for the above suggestions; I'm still rather intimidated by Linux as far as the setup process; I know that there was a show on Ubuntu in the archives, but that alone isn't enough to sway me. Because the price ceiling of most of the Macs are lower (with the exception of course of the Macbook Pros and Mac Pro platforms) than the Power PC period a switch to a Mac Mini would be a logical leap. I could keep the Presario I have now and experiment with Linux after I set up the mini...guess it's time to search iTunes for a "Linux for Dummies"-like podcast.

Basically, anything but Vista or XP.

Waterispoison: I agree, DX10 only gives Microsoft a reason to charge premium prices for Windows software and related crap with nothing new to offer except better visuals. Does anyone believe that developers have reached the limitations of DX9 yet (and therefore won't upgrade)?