This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Salad

Comments

• Rym said:

You eat steak with a salad. Have a salad with every meal that isn't itself a salad.

Steak IN a salad. It's called "steak salad."
  • That's actually become my preferred meal at American fare restaurants.
  • Nukerjsr said:

Here's a good question. Dried fruit vs. Fresh fruit in salad?

Pomegranate is killer.

Main thing with dried fruit, though: gotta give the dried fruit a good chop before you put it in. The flavors of the dried fruit will permeate the salad that way and it's super good.

Dates, chèvre, and frisée with oil and lemon, salt, maybe some walnuts. So good.
  • You know, the weird thing is that I have never heard the original theme of Charles in Charge before seeing this thread. I never seen an episode either. The only familiarity I have is covers of the theme from Scrubs and the band Relient K.
  • The amount of oxalic acid in spinach is pretty tiny, the amount you need to eat is huge every night before it becomes an issue with calcium absorption.

I am not a fan of iceberg lettuce, I don't even use it in sandwiches any more.

I've stopped using cucumbers in salads, I still buy cucumbers, I usually just stick them in an apple juice or eat them by themselves or with some ground rock salt.
    Nukerjsr said:

Here's a good question. Dried fruit vs. Fresh fruit in salad?

I prefer fresh fruit.

For example I made this 2 nights ago -
    Rocket, fresh Parmesan, fried pancetta, red wine vinegar dressing (lemon, olive oil, salt, pepper and basil) plus grapes.

I make all my own dressings I don't buy any that are pre-made.
  • Listening to the Bill Gray's bit really made me want to argue about food places in Rochester, but then I grew up across the city from RIT so I probably haven't gone to that many places in common with the forum (excepting Axel, of course). My point is, there are way better burger places in Rochester than Bill Gray's.

Also, ranch dressing is gross.
  • Also, ranch dressing is gross.

• The truth hurts.
  • edited August 2014
    I prefer a salad with either spinach or romaine lettuce as the base.

Toppings I like to put on:

Grape/Heirloom tomatoes
    Kidney beans
    Garbanzo beans
    Corn
    Hard-boiled eggs
    Sunflower seeds
    Parmesan cheese
    White pepper

Dressing: Either blue cheese or honey mustard.

As for "alternate" salads, potato salad is the only good one. Egg salad is only good for sandwiches. Everything else sucks.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • I'm also skeptical of pretty much all non-potato salad mayonnaise-based salads. Macaroni salads tend to be tasteless, and for most others I just can't stand the texture.
  • Pasta salad can be pretty great.
  • Yeah, I just don't care. That's the real problem. I eat salad cause it's supposed to not kill me, unlike the things I actually want to eat.

Hi, I'm here to ruin your day!

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/19/3/11-1866-t1

According to the latest data published by Foodnet, 51% of all foodborne disease and death can be attributed to plant products, the largest group of which is produce!

So there! Salad is more likely to kill you than literally any other food commodity in the world!

Isn't science awesome?
  • Hi, I'm from the Government, and I'm here to ruin your day!

According to the latest data published by Foodnet, 51% of all foodborne disease and death can be attributed to plant products, the largest group of which is produce!

So there! Salad is more likely to kill you with food poisoning than literally any other food commodity in the world!

Isn't science awesome?

FTFY. Your statement makes several unstated assumptions.

1. Person eating said salad has no severe allergies to other kinds of food.
    2. Person eating said salad has no health conditions that make eating non-vegetable foods more hazardous than eating vegetable foods.
    3. The part of "51% of all foodborne disease and death" that is actually death is higher than the amount of death resulting from other food-related incidents or conditions.

Use your science right, bitch.

• Let's focus just an sprouts.

They are the greatest thing one can ever put into a salad. I also haven't eaten them in a salad in about six years...
  • Nuri said:

Hi, I'm from the Government, and I'm here to ruin your day!

So there! Salad is more likely to kill you with food poisoning than literally any other food commodity in the world!

Isn't science awesome?

FTFY. Your statement makes several unstated assumptions.

1. Person eating said salad has no severe allergies to other kinds of food.
    2. Person eating said salad has no health conditions that make eating non-vegetable foods more hazardous than eating vegetable foods.
    3. The part of "51% of all foodborne disease and death" that is actually death is higher than the amount of death resulting from other food-related incidents or conditions.

Use your science right, bitch.

Stop applying reality to my hyperbole!

• Fuck the haters I'm goin hard on those sprouts.
  • MATATAT said:

Fuck the haters I'm goin hard on those sprouts.

RIP in peace.

• Aren't sprouts the raw milk of salad ingredients?
  • They're more like the Hitler of vegetables.

Any opinions expressed in this post yada yada.
  • Say I put sprouts in my pho, will I still die?
  • Well, at least you'll die deliciously.
  • Personally, I'm totally okay with sprouts being stupid deadly. I never liked them anyway.
  • MATATAT said:

Say I put sprouts in my pho, will I still die?

Twice.

• Also protip for tossing salad. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and shake.
  • MATATAT said:

Also protip for tossing salad. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and shake.

Plastic wrap? Just put a plate or another bowl over it. Don't make more garbage for no reason. ;^)
  • Rym said:

MATATAT said:

Also protip for tossing salad. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and shake.

Plastic wrap? Just put a plate or another bowl over it. Don't make more garbage for no reason. ;^)
    Or use a bowl that comes with a lid. Doubles for salad storage (though you still want to eat that stuff pretty quickly less it get too soggy -- especially the croutons or crouton-like objects you put in the salad).
  • Don't put the crotons in until immediately before you eat the salad.
  • Well Scott said he didn't want more dishes to do so the plastic wrap would work. However Lou's suggestion is where its at.
  • Starfox said:

Don't put the crotons in until immediately before you eat the salad.

That's what I usually do, but some people do like to throw it in early for whatever reason (maybe if it's a big bowl for a dinner party or something).
    MATATAT said:

Well Scott said he didn't want more dishes to do so the plastic wrap would work. However Lou's suggestion is where its at.

That's why we have dishwashers. :) That said, these bowls with lids are often multi-use, depending on the material. Pyrex bowls are just as good for storing and reheating soup as they are for holding salad.