This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Salad

13»

Comments

• I'm pretty sure he has a dishwasher but is just being lazy.
  • Just use a bowl that's larger than needed for the salad, and lightly toss with the fork you're going to use for eating.
  • edited August 2014
    Seriously. What is all this shaking bullshit about. If you're making salad, you should have already washed your hands, so just us 'em. Or a fork, that's cool too.

Also, if you don't like vinaigrettes you are just wrong. Olive oil and balsamic vinegar is where it's at.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Shaking gets that nice coating on all the veggies.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Salad-Spinner/dp/B00004OCKR

Holy shit game changer.
  • Nuri said:

Seriously. What is all this shaking bullshit about. If you're making salad, you should have already washed your hands, so just us 'em. Or a fork, that's cool too.

Also, if you don't like vinaigrettes you are just wrong. Olive oil and balsamic vinegar is where it's at.

Depends on my mood, but yeah. If I want something lighter, I'm all about an olive oil (must be Portuguese olive oil, because I'm like biased and stuff) and balsamic vinaigrette. However, there are times when I want something heavier/creamier and will go for caesar, blue cheese, or ranch (though not all ranches are created equal and I've only discovered one so far I like). I like a sesame ginger dressing if I'm having a salad with Asian fare, though.
    MATATAT said:
    Got one of those... It works great.
  • edited August 2014
    MATATAT said:

Shaking gets that nice coating on all the veggies.

Holy shit game changer.

Yeah, pretty sure one of those is on our registry. Now that I'm gardening, I am sick of shaking greens and herbs and having them still be dripping. Right now I use Rym's ever-so-clever "shake it off over the sink" method, but it is inferior to a salad spinner or wuzzing basket (a manual salad spinner for you young'uns).

Post edited by Nuri on
  • Listening to the Bill Gray's bit really made me want to argue about food places in Rochester, but then I grew up across the city from RIT so I probably haven't gone to that many places in common with the forum (excepting Axel, of course). My point is, there are way better burger places in Rochester than Bill Gray's.

Also, ranch dressing is gross.

I even like Five Guys better than Bill Gray's.

Also, Wings over Rochester makes a mean delivery burger, when they aren't "closed for holiday" like they are for another week.

But yeah, lots of good burgers in Rochester. I don't...I don't even like Bill Gray's. XD

• Oh man, my local Armerican fare restaurant does a chili salad. I know what I'm getting tonight.
  • Not discussed on the show:

Taco Salad.

Thoughts?
  • Side conversation - does a Chipotle burrito bowl count as a salad? Does a Chipotle salad count as a burrito bowl?
  • Rym said:

Not discussed on the show:

Taco Salad.

Thoughts?

I like it every once in a while.
  • Taco salad is what happens when a hard shell taco refuses to stay together and you bury its shame in more lettuce, meat, tomato, cheese, possibly sour cream, and extra jalapeno.
  • pence said:

Side conversation - does a Chipotle burrito bowl count as a salad? Does a Chipotle salad count as a burrito bowl?

If this is the case, Chipotle burrito bowl of chicken and sofritas is the best salad.
  • I would argue that it counts as a pre-assembled burrito since you can ask for a tortilla with it.
  • Nuri said:

MATATAT said:

Holy shit game changer.

Yeah, pretty sure one of those is on our registry. Now that I'm gardening, I am sick of shaking greens and herbs and having them still be dripping. Right now I use Rym's ever-so-clever "shake it off over the sink" method, but it is inferior to a salad spinner or wuzzing basket (a manual salad spinner for you young'uns).

They're also apparently quite handy when dying yarn, to get all the stuff off the fabric, which is what my mom uses hers for.
  • Rym said:

Taco Salad.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure that's in keeping with the true spirit of salad. And if you go there, you need to consider fruit salad, antipasto salad, pasta salad...

It's a slippery slope, my friend.
  • I could do a whole show on egg/potato salad.
  • Rym said:

Taco Salad.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure that's in keeping with the true spirit of salad. And if you go there, you need to consider fruit salad, antipasto salad, pasta salad...

It's a slippery slope, my friend.
    Then you'll be talking about "berries". ;^)
  • Rym said:

I could do a whole show on egg/potato salad.

Egg salad is gross.

Potato salad is better if you put hard boiled eggs in it.

/show.
  • Protip: eat potato salad at the same time that you're eating deviled eggs.
  • What's your ideal mustard to mayo ratio when eating a potato salad? I lean heavly on the mustard side.
  • Neito said:

Nuri said:

MATATAT said:

Holy shit game changer.

They're also apparently quite handy when dying yarn, to get all the stuff off the fabric, which is what my mom uses hers for.
    If you do it one skein at a time, sure. Also, don't use the same equipment for dyeing and for food prep unless you're only using food coloring to dye with.
  • I'm not usually one to link Family Guy here, but it seemed appropriate.
    Nuri said:

Neito said:

Nuri said:

MATATAT said:

Holy shit game changer.

If you do it one skein at a time, sure. Also, don't use the same equipment for dyeing and for food prep unless you're only using food coloring to dye with.
    Nah, we're a "pat the lettuce leaves with paper towel" family.
  • Rym said:

Protip: eat potato salad at the same time that you're eating deviled eggs.

I actually just prefer potato salad with egg, but this does sound like an excellent idea.

We used to have a 3 potato salad at the deli: sweet potato, red potato, white potato. Goddamn was that delicious.

German potato salad is, of course, the best of all potato salads. Protip: use sauerkraut instead of onion.

What's your ideal mustard to mayo ratio when eating a potato salad? I lean heavly on the mustard side.

I think I do 2:1 mayo:mustard, typically. Usually, though, I eyeball it and taste until I like it.