This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Upgrading PCs

Comments

• Vaguely keeping track of what I'd spec if I build a new PC. The old 2009 beast has a little trouble with livestreaming.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20123534
  • You don't want to add a Thunderbolt expansion card?

You could also go for a MicroATX case if you are looking for a smaller footprint - Bitfenix make some smaller cases which can handle the airflow required for big video cards, both single and SLI. I like the look of the Phenom Micro-ATX case but my friend has a build using a Prodigy-M case which makes it portable, lots of normal or crazy colours and has very good airflow.
  • The question is, who's upgrading to Windows 10?
  • edited January 2015
    Dazzle369 said:

The question is, who's upgrading to Windows 10?

Maybe at some point? I really just don't have any problems with Windows 7, so...
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • It'll have a package manager, so probably.
  • Dazzle369 said:

I am waiting on my HTPC rebuild and will go straight to 10 with it.

• I
    Dazzle369 said:

I'm getting it because I like the majority of stuff in Windows 8.1 that I've experienced on my laptop, however I will be upgrading RAM, motherboard and CPU around the same time too.

I'm pretty sure every other desktop and laptop has a faster CPU than my i7 930. I'm also suspicious that the CPU is what is limiting my games now since my new video card and SSD are not struggling to run anything (yet things like Shadowplay recording seem to introduce a little lag).
  • Windows 7 replaced XP very well.

Windows Vista and 8 did not.

I doubt very much, even with this re-rebranding Windows 10 will be a better choice than 7.

I'm just curious as to what changes they're making, apart from bringing back the start menu and turning everything into an 'app'.
  • Dazzle369 said:

I doubt very much, even with this re-rebranding Windows 10 will be a better choice than 7.

What is objectively better about 7 compared to 8.1?

• Rym said:

Dazzle369 said:

Nothing. It's willful ignorance and people being Luddites.
  • I think it was more how much 8.0 was bad, that made people not willing to deal with 8.1 which is perfectly fine.
  • edited January 2015
    Rym said:

Dazzle369 said:

1 interface as opposed to a mis-mash of 2.

There's not much new in Windows 8 that couldn't just have been integrated into windows 7.

Windows 8 was an attempt to unify all platforms and formfactors. That's the only reason for the major swerve in design. Which would have been great, if it wasn't so crap.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • After using 8.1 more I don't mind it. The only annoying thing is that it just has more clutter. I find 7 to still be a sleeker experience. I find myself just using the search functionality more on 8.1 instead of trying to actually track something down.
  • If Microsoft wanted to foster a touch interface on people, they should have required touchscreens on laptops over a certain price point. They simply assumed they would have them, and with the race to the bottom nature of the PC market, that was a mistake.
  • My only complaint about Win8 is the interface and their decision to drop the start menu.
  • The thing is, the metro interface if fine for a touch interface if you have one.

Desktop typically don't.

They could have just made it an option to use 'Big Picture Mode'/ Windows Media Centre replacement, instead forcing this interface on you.

Apps and widgets belong in browsers and portable devices. Not so much for desktops.

Chromebooks does what Windows 8 tries to do.
  • Dazzle369 said:

There's not much new in Windows 8 that couldn't just have been integrated into windows 7.

Boot time in Windows 8 destroys Windows 7, hybrid boot is built into the OS.
    You can run your own personalised version of Windows 8 on any Windows 7 or Windows 8 machine off of a USB key or hard drive.
    Running a virtual instance of Windows natively.
    Windows 7 is a system hog in comparison to Windows 8.
    Proper multi-monitor support (separate taskbars and desktops).
    Windows 8 also way more secure, MS Security Essentials is in the basic install, encrypted drives by default, secure booting on UEFI.
    File transfer is not retarded like in Windows 7, you can pause transfers, interrupt them, USB 3.0 is native.
    Native image mounting.
    Even freaking native 3d printing for those that use it.

So the masses go retard mode. Windows 10 is literally a skin on Windows 8 and will sell a fuck tonne because Microsoft went too hard on exploring how touch works really well with the Surface devices and uniting all their platforms.

Microsoft at least forced some innovation out of device manufacturers, hybrids have some fucking awesome use cases that move more towards a paperless state. By far they are the most handy things to have for anyone going to school.
  • edited January 2015
    All of the improvements youve mentioned could have been made without fucking up the UI. Like I said.

There was no real reason to have abandoned Windows 7's UI.I've said this already.

I would have upgraded to Windows 8 if it weren't for the jarring UI, and having a list of programs that I'm not confident will work without issue on 8.

And the main point is, all the hardware improvemenys are still superficial. Windows 7 boots on an SSD fast enough. Any faster would be great, as long as its not slower I don't care.

Native 3D printing, great.

Native USB 3.0

File transfer controls great.

Get rid of the metro shit lol. There's a time and a place for that kind of interface.

I've had a Windows Phone 7 for almost over 2 years before upgrading to Android.

The intergration was great. I could work on documents, actually use my calendar effectively. Never worry about my contacts. All the essential stuff worked great. Syncing photos to the cloud.

But that's about it. There's nothing special about the metro interface. In fact its just plane ugly.

What was wrong with just indentifiable icons. Widgets for when you want more info.
  • Your comment implied that all these features could be placed into a patch which just wouldn't be possible. The only part of the UI that is fucked up is touch if you don't have a touch device which is a given.

Windows 7 UI is still in there lol.

How is a new OS a hardware improvement?

Windows 8 boots faster on a HDD and an SSD. My desktop on an SSD and Windows 7 takes longer to boot than my laptop on Windows 8.1 with a slower SSD.

There was a lot of shit that didn't work when every new OS comes out, because you have to wait for hardware companies to get their drivers written for the new OS. Everyone blames the OS rather than the company not putting out updated drivers.

I've never owned a Windows Phone but I imagine if they would have come to market earlier they would have been a much stronger contender, better than Android even.
  • sK0pe said:

Your comment implied that all these features could be placed into a patch which just wouldn't be possible. The only part of the UI that is fucked up is touch if you don't have a touch device which is a given.

Windows 7 UI is still in there lol.

So if the Windows 7 UI is still there, why not just have that and only that. Why can't that be an option?
    sK0pe said:

How is a new OS a hardware improvement?

Windows 8 boots faster on a HDD and an SSD. My desktop on an SSD and Windows 7 takes longer to boot than my laptop on Windows 8.1 with a slower SSD.

You just answered that question. Clearly software optimisations improved hardware performance.
    sK0pe said:

There was a lot of shit that didn't work when every new OS comes out, because you have to wait for hardware companies to get their drivers written for the new OS. Everyone blames the OS rather than the company not putting out updated drivers.

I don't blame Microsoft for poor driver support, it's still an issue however. Why upgrade to Vista if XP still works with everything you have. When you can wait and upgrade to 7 and have the functionality that you want. Upgrading just because, doesn't make sense.
    sK0pe said:

I've never owned a Windows Phone but I imagine if they would have come to market earlier they would have been a much stronger contender, better than Android even.

It wasn't a matter of coming to market sooner. Microsoft already had smart phone software, but they scratched the whole thing to start again for Windows Phone 7. Then started again for Windows Phone 8.

I had to wait almost a year for them to even implement copy-paste for WP7. It's not that they're late, it's that they've regressed.

Same problem with the Xbox One. They abandoned working, functioning features from the 360, to experiment with nonsense with the new UI in the Xbox One. They've only started to bring back old features, that people actually want and use.

Any person can use Windows 8, just fine. It has all the essentials.

My complaint is, there is no need to force this metro interface for desktops, as it not an optimal interface for desktops. They could have been smart and have to OS automatically activate the metro interface if it detected a touch device.

They didn't purposefully to push the branding, and to push the idea of a unified interface.

My second complaint, is that it's just ugly and boring.
  • You know the nice thing? There's an option now in Windows 8.1 to boot directly into the desktop. More or less all the apps work with the normal window manager. There are new keyboard shortcuts that cut down the number of times I have to reach for the mouse. If you're on a desktop the metro interface for the Start menu barely matters anyways; just hit the Windows button and start typing the name of the thing you want.

I will say that the desktop UI experience was pretty crappy for a while (I've been using it since it was in preview builds), until they fixed Start menu search, but now that's fixed.

Currently, Windows 8 is an objectively better desktop operating system than Windows 7. The issues of the Start Menu UI and the odd duplicated settings menus are mitigated by the fact that you don't have to spend much time with them, and those problems are far outweighed by the improved boot time, performance improvements, native image mounting, and native USB 3.

tl;dr: You should consider upgrading to Windows 8.
  • I'm considering 10 more than 8. I've got all the performance and functionality I'll ever need on 7.

Waiting for more reasons to upgrade, because I personally don't have many.
  • All I use on Win8 is steam so the UI is no longer a big issue for me (now that I removed all the junk software.)
  • Dazzle is being willfully ignorant and obtuse.
  • Andrew said:

Dazzle is being willfully ignorant and obtuse.

• Dazzle369 said:

As soon as it's available. I want Cortana on Windows. Also, we might discuss Windows 10 briefly on FNPL during tomorrow's livestream.
  • Why don't they just make it free forever? Making it free for one year makes it seem like a trap. Also, does Windows 10 still have a bunch of crazy different versions? I'm still bitter I had to pay more for a fancier Windows 7 version to be able to use all my RAM.
  • edited January 2015
    It's funny you should say that, for what ever reason Windows 7 Premium is limited to 16GB RAM. Luckily for me that's all I needed when I upgraded. If I wanted more would have needed to get Pro.

However for Windows 8 the limit goes up to 128GB across all editions.

I'm speculating they'll move Windows to a subscription, like they have Office 365.

I reckon upgrading beyond Windows 10 will require a subscription. Or live account at least. Xbox Live Gold, the Windows version.

In order to do that efficiently they'll need to make the OS as compatible as possible. So 1 version of Windows that works for everyone. That's my guess at least.

edit

Maybe Microsoft will just do something similar to Adobe's Creative Cloud. One account associated with what ever modules/ software suites you want. Download and use on whatever hardware you're on.
  • Hasn't Office already gone subscription?