This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Upgrading PCs

13»

Comments

• That's what I said
  • edited January 2015
    HMTKSteve said:

Hasn't Office already gone subscription?

You can do subscription which will grant you a terabyte of cloud space as well as in browser editing and offline saving. Plus you get 5 licenses for the year.
    However you can also buy Office or parts of it outright and no subscription but you do not get the cloud storage and it is more expensive.

Office by subscription makes a lot of sense, it is cheaper for me than getting the up to date versions and Word is still the best word processor for my larger documents (or a good grammar check), everything else I just write in Google Docs.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • sK0pe said:

Word is still the best word processor for my larger documents

Bah! If it isn't done in LaTeX, it isn't correct!

• Upgraded my parents PC yesterday, they have an old Antec case which just fits an ATX motherboard.
    The experience of getting cut up and removing 4 or more screws for each part, removing the drive cage to fit the motherboard and having to deal with no cable routing made for a slightly troubling afternoon. Having the power supply at the top of the PC is weird too but makes reaching the CPU 24V super easy.

It was worth it though as I put a fan-less power supply and replaced the Antec fan with a low noise Noctua fan from one of my older builds.

The PC runs under 20 decibels under load and it doesn't even have memory foam. I could make it even quieter if I got a 3rd party CPU cooler but I doubt it would be noticeable.
  • sK0pe said:

The experience of getting cut up

If there's one thing I learned from building computers as a kid, it's that blood sacrifice pleases the machine spirits.
  • Churba said:

sK0pe said:

If there's one thing I learned from building computers as a kid, it's that blood sacrifice pleases the machine spirits.
    So true, all the ones that have had a blood sacrifice have never failed or died.
  • sK0pe said:

Churba said:

sK0pe said:

So true, all the ones that have had a blood sacrifice have never failed or died.
    Are we truly dealing in dark arts here because the same goes for me. Even the laptops. Especially the laptops. I have one from 1998 running Win98 on 133mhz and 1gb HDD thats still ticking.