This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows 10

Comments

• As long as they don't bork their updates there's no problem with that except that I still sometimes rip CDs with WMP.

You what what with what?

• Unlike some folks I don't just pirate everything. I have a lot of CDs from the past and you can't buy Ozzy era Black Sabbath digitally, or you couldn't the last time I checked. iTunes lets you rip to mp3 but it makes my gaming rigs run slow it's so poorly written, and Zune doesn't pass album artwork to the files. Windows Media Player does. There, simple.
  • Foobar2000, man. You'll never look back.
  • Churba said:

Foobar2000, man. You'll never look back.

That is a trustworthy program, but I've never been a fan.
  • edited June 2015
    Churba said:

Foobar2000, man. You'll never look back.

Does it have a CD ripper built in?
    EDIT: yep it does!

Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • So is it worth upgrading?
  • Yes. I've been using Windows 10 for a while now and it's pretty good. Not on my production machine, of course, but on my touchscreen laptop. Cortana is cool.
  • Confirmed:

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications?ocid=reserve_r_PostReserve_mod1_specs

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq?faq=edition&ocid=reserve_r_PostReserve_mod1_faq
  • Yes.

So if you have an older computer, you SHOULD do this:

1. Upgrade to Windows 10
    2. Back up your shit as-needed
    3. Buy and install a 256GB SSD
    4. Clean re-install Windows 10 on said SSD

That will increase your PC's performance more than anything else you could imagine doing.
  • Alternatively, if you are already doing things "the right way" you already have your OS and Program files on a separate physical drive or partition. The only things on my OS SSD are Windows 7 and all the Program Files that I can just reinstall trivially. Everything else is on other drives, NAS, or cloud. I might even just unplug those other drives during the process in case Windows decides to mess with them.
  • Apreche said:

Alternatively, if you are already doing things "the right way" you already have your OS and Program files on a separate physical drive or partition. The only things on my OS SSD are Windows 7 and all the Program Files that I can just reinstall trivially.

Yeah. But even then, a lot of people have older computers where that's a spinning disk, not an SSD.

This is just a perfect opportunity to do a clean Windows install on a much faster disk.

• yea and SSD's are the price of a normal copy of windows now, so win/win
  • Rym said:

Yes.

So if you have an older computer, you SHOULD do this:

1. Upgrade to Windows 10
    2. Back up your shit as-needed
    3. Buy and install a 256GB SSD
    4. Clean re-install Windows 10 on said SSD

That will increase your PC's performance more than anything else you could imagine doing.

It's like you are reading my mind...
  • Apreche said:

Alternatively, if you are already doing things "the right way" you already have your OS and Program files on a separate physical drive or partition. The only things on my OS SSD are Windows 7 and all the Program Files that I can just reinstall trivially. Everything else is on other drives, NAS, or cloud. I might even just unplug those other drives during the process in case Windows decides to mess with them.

Already prepared, the way the Windows update installer works, it doesn't touch the other drives in your system but recognises them.

Only difference is that I have a secondary Steam library and a few games on my SSD for faster performance as I only have the one 500gb SSD. I'll just reinstall the games that I need as I have them backed up to a spinning disk already.

Also from stuffing around with the beta, it doesn't mess with your other drives.
  • Apreche said:

Alternatively, if you are already doing things "the right way" you already have your OS and Program files on a separate physical drive or partition. The only things on my OS SSD are Windows 7 and all the Program Files that I can just reinstall trivially. Everything else is on other drives, NAS, or cloud. I might even just unplug those other drives during the process in case Windows decides to mess with them.

If I have a 256 GB SSD, how big do I want to make my Windows partition?
  • Maybe I'll use my Amazon rewards points and finally get an SSD for Win 10.
  • Ikatono said:

Apreche said:

Don't make partitions anymore. There's no reason to.

That whole disk is C: for windows and installed applications. All your other stuff should just be on a separate physical drive.
  • Rym said:

Ikatono said:

Apreche said:

Don't make partitions anymore. There's no reason to.

That whole disk is C: for windows and installed applications. All your other stuff should just be on a separate physical drive.
    Yes, these days every partition should pretty much just take up the entire drive. There are not many reasons left to partition physical disks.

Back in the day most people had a computer with just one physical drive, and not much room to add more. This meant you had to partition. If you wanted to dual boot Linux and Windows, it was obviously essential. Also, even with just Linux, you might want to put /var on a separate partition. That way if log files failed to rotate and filled that partition up, you wouldn't fill up your entire disk, and could fix the problem easily.

Also, even with just Windows, you might want to separate your OS from your data so you can upgrade/clean install while having your data protected and separate.

But if you have more than one physical disk, there's little reason to partition any of them.
  • edited July 2015
    I was gifted two 256GB SSDs when doing my new build back in Feb, so one is my OS, one is Steam games, and I have an spinning disc for media. Think I'll just move Steam over to the spinning disc so I can do the fresh Win 10 re-install when I get around to it.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Make sure to change default storage folders locations (eg. pictures, music, downloads etc.) to a secondary drive. Windows likes to fill up your C: drive regardless of how little you intend to put on it.

Space sniffer helps.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/15101-63-pagefile-hiberfil-gigantic-filling
  • I have three computers, but none have received the notification yet. I just click on "notify me when ready."
  • Apparently they're, rightly so, rolling it out in stages. Once your computer's number is up, it starts downloading the update. Once the update is downloaded, THEN it'll tell you it's ready.
  • Apparently they're, rightly so, rolling it out in stages. Once your computer's number is up, it starts downloading the update. Once the update is downloaded, THEN it'll tell you it's ready.

At least someone learned something from basically every large multiplayer game launch ever.

• Churba said:

Apparently they're, rightly so, rolling it out in stages. Once your computer's number is up, it starts downloading the update. Once the update is downloaded, THEN it'll tell you it's ready.

At least someone learned something from basically every large multiplayer game launch ever.

No, they didn't learn. First of all, apparently there is a trick to force it to start right away. Trying it now on my laptop, seems to be working.

Also, rolling it out in stages pisses people off who want it now. Blizzard is usually the company that screws up releases. What if millions of people pay for Starcraft 3, but only a few of them can start playing today, then a few more tomorrow, then a few more the next day. That is what we like to call bullshit.

The correct answer is to spend your enormously vast millions of dollars on enough server capacity that you can let everyone download Windows 10 all at once without shit going down.
  • Apreche said:

Churba said:

Apparently they're, rightly so, rolling it out in stages. Once your computer's number is up, it starts downloading the update. Once the update is downloaded, THEN it'll tell you it's ready.

No, they didn't learn. First of all, apparently there is a trick to force it to start right away. Trying it now on my laptop, seems to be working.

Also, rolling it out in stages pisses people off who want it now. Blizzard is usually the company that screws up releases. What if millions of people pay for Starcraft 3, but only a few of them can start playing today, then a few more tomorrow, then a few more the next day. That is what we like to call bullshit.

The correct answer is to spend your enormously vast millions of dollars on enough server capacity that you can let everyone download Windows 10 all at once without shit going down.
    So they should learn from games and allow them to download a encrypted bulk content download earlier then unlock it when the update is out.
  • Windows SSL client: real or fake?
  • Apreche said:

First of all, apparently there is a trick to force it to start right away. Trying it now on my laptop, seems to be working.

How did you do it? I've been waiting for my upgrade all day.
  • Apreche said:

Churba said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a generic "Have it work without destroying itself on day one, from too many people or otherwise" but your way works too.