This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows 10

Comments

• Apreche said:

Churba said:

Apparently they're, rightly so, rolling it out in stages. Once your computer's number is up, it starts downloading the update. Once the update is downloaded, THEN it'll tell you it's ready.

At least someone learned something from basically every large multiplayer game launch ever.

No, they didn't learn. First of all, apparently there is a trick to force it to start right away. Trying it now on my laptop, seems to be working.

Also, rolling it out in stages pisses people off who want it now. Blizzard is usually the company that screws up releases. What if millions of people pay for Starcraft 3, but only a few of them can start playing today, then a few more tomorrow, then a few more the next day. That is what we like to call bullshit.

The correct answer is to spend your enormously vast millions of dollars on enough server capacity that you can let everyone download Windows 10 all at once without shit going down.
    Nope that's region locking. Ever been on the Oceanic Blizzard server and have to wait to be the last region to update even though the day starts with you?
    Same with iOS updates, Android updates, League of Legends updates, major movie releases, Blu Ray and DVD releases.

You grew up with a silver spoon and whenever someone like Japan gets something first all I hear are Americans crying from the other side of the Pacific.
    Name a successful launch that wasn't tier released.
  • Daikun said:

Apreche said:

First of all, apparently there is a trick to force it to start right away. Trying it now on my laptop, seems to be working.

How did you do it? I've been waiting for my upgrade all day.
    I just found the tutorial.
  • I think I downloaded the ISO and made a boot drive last night. Not sure where the license key comes from though.
  • Got my install as soon as I got home last night. I poked around the system for a little bit. The whole tile deal is smaller and integrated with the new start menu. Which is fine and looks like you can remove all the tiles if you don't want to use them. Xbox app is kind of meh. I wish Microsoft made it so I could access and play my arcade game collection. I could care less about the achievement and friends list acess.
  • I ordered a sdd finally yesterday using a bunch of rewards points and shit so it cost me like 30 bucks with a mount and another sata cable. I was gonna do a full reinstall on my main PC even though I did one like a couple months. But I think on my Alienware I'm just going to do an in place install. It's one win 8.1 and I really only use it for games and media and whatnot so I don't really care how clean the install is on there. Also I expect it's much easier to upgrade in place from 8.1 to 10 than it is from 7 to 10.
  • So this morning Windows 10 finished doing the upgrade on my laptop.

Everything worked great. But about a minute after logging in, the computer just froze. it didn't matter whether I logged in as my user or admin account. The computer worked fine before logging in. But once you log in, you've got about 30 seconds before it freezees. No keyboard input, no mouse input, no nothing.

So since the login screen itself worked I was able to do the trick where you hold shift and then reset to access the troubleshooting. From there I had it reset itself deleting all apps, but keeping files. That worked just fine. Now I can login no problem.

Windows 10 still has no official way to swap caps lock for some other key, so you still have to use a registry key hack. The same old hack still works just fine.

I am still unable to create a bootable USB stick. When I try to use the MediaCreationTool it errors out once I actually click the button to create the image.

Even though I just installed this, there are some updates in Windows Update. They don't seem to install properly. After running Windows Update and restarting, there are errors that the updates failed to install.

It was smart enough to get all the things it needed for my Lenovo laptop. The correct graphics and Bluetooth drivers, it supports the fingerprint scanner, everything was recognized and handled properly.

It's actually kinda slow. Usually new Windows installs are way faster. This is just as slow as Windows 7 was on that laptop. Maybe the laptop is just old and slow. Even the fancy new Edge browser is slow and bleh.

They try to install a bunch of Microsoft stuff by default, but they also let you uninstall all of it very easily! How nice of them. You can just get rid of advertisement solitaire and the thing that tries to get you to buy Office. Even the OneDrive you can just get rid of easily.

There were a bunch of privacy related questions during the initial install. I chose the options not to share info. It seems they've created some sort of advertisement ID built into the OS, which is not cool. I chose the option to not share that. I'm sure someone will soon make a way to disable that completely. Not too worried because I don't install any apps that will be trying to use that anyway.

I had high hopes I wouldn't need something like Launchy, but I guess I do. The built in means of searching or launching with the keyboard is slow and bad. Even slower than Spotlight on OSX. No bueno.

I still haven't received the notification on my other machines. I'll wait a bit to figure out all these quirks on the laptop before I go updating those.
  • Did you use launchy on 7? What's wrong with "hit windows key and type"?
  • Starfox said:

Did you use launchy on 7? What's wrong with "hit windows key and type"?

I did use Launchy on Windows 7. Hit Windows key and type is slow, and doesn't give me the result I want.
  • On OSX I use both Spotlight (cmd space) and Alfred (alt space). For some things Spotlight is waaay better/faster, but Alfred has lots of cool features I don't want to give up.
  • All I want to do is type the name of a program, and launch that program. I don't want any other features or nonsense. Launchy does that with great speed if you configure it to do so. Everything else tries to do to much, and is too slow. The whole point is that it is faster than double clicking the icon with the mouse. If it's slow, then it defeats the purpose.
  • MATATAT said:

I think I downloaded the ISO and made a boot drive last night. Not sure where the license key comes from though.

You have to do an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 first to get the free upgrade. During the upgrade you can choose the option not to keep programs and data, essentially a clean install.

After the upgrade, your machine will be associated in their systems with Windows 10, I believe you can do a clean install after that.
  • Forgot to mention I tried out all the default card games. I didn't get any banner ads or pop up stuff.
  • Apreche said:

All I want to do is type the name of a program, and launch that program. I don't want any other features or nonsense. Launchy does that with great speed if you configure it to do so. Everything else tries to do to much, and is too slow. The whole point is that it is faster than double clicking the icon with the mouse. If it's slow, then it defeats the purpose.

On Windows 8.1, the default windows key behavior there is perfect. I use it all the time, and it always launches what I wanted immediately with zero mouse click.

Is your laptop just slow and shitty?

• For me it's slow with files but rarely for programs.
  • Is anyone else having like, a huge bitch of a time getting this to install? I keep getting an error 80240020, and the only thing the internet will say about that error is "Fuck it, try downloading it again".
  • Neito said:

Is anyone else having like, a huge bitch of a time getting this to install? I keep getting an error 80240020, and the only thing the internet will say about that error is "Fuck it, try downloading it again".

Are you upgrading using the ISO file burned to DVD?
  • Rym said:

Apreche said:

All I want to do is type the name of a program, and launch that program. I don't want any other features or nonsense. Launchy does that with great speed if you configure it to do so. Everything else tries to do to much, and is too slow. The whole point is that it is faster than double clicking the icon with the mouse. If it's slow, then it defeats the purpose.

On Windows 8.1, the default windows key behavior there is perfect. I use it all the time, and it always launches what I wanted immediately with zero mouse click.

Is your laptop just slow and shitty?

Quite possibly. Will try the HTPC next to be sure.
  • 2bfree said:

Neito said:

Is anyone else having like, a huge bitch of a time getting this to install? I keep getting an error 80240020, and the only thing the internet will say about that error is "Fuck it, try downloading it again".

Nyet. Windows Update.
  • edited July 2015
    Rolling out in stages is the only smart way to roll out a change that affects this many computers - there can be bugs that you don't or can't notice until you have a lot of computers running your OS, but you don't want to ruin everyone's computers.

There was actually one such bug that during the Android L rollout that forced it to freeze for a couple days to prevent bad things from happening...

So it's not just that it's easier on download capacity, but it's also in case critical bugs were missed.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Rolling out in stages is the only smart way to roll out a change that affects this many computers - there can be bugs that you don't or can't notice until you have a lot of computers running your OS, but you don't want to ruin everyone's computers.

There was actually one such bug that during the Android L rollout that forced it to freeze for a couple days to prevent bad things from happening...

So it's not just that it's easier on download capacity, but it's also in case critical bugs were missed.

If there's still bugs, which it is apparent there are, it should still be in beta.
  • Isn't every security patch fixing a "bug"? It'll never be perfect.
  • Ikatono said:

Isn't every security patch fixing a "bug"? It'll never be perfect.

If it's possible for the entire OS to freeze, and the tool to create a bootable USB stick just completely fails to work, those are pretty serious no-launch bugs.
  • Apreche said:

Ikatono said:

If it's possible for the entire OS to freeze, and the tool to create a bootable USB stick just completely fails to work, those are pretty serious no-launch bugs.
    We'll see if I have these same problems.

If I don't... I don't know what you're doing wrong. ;^)
  • Rym said:

Apreche said:

Ikatono said:

We'll see if I have these same problems.

If I don't... I don't know what you're doing wrong. ;^)
    Using an old busted laptop?
  • Neito said:

2bfree said:

Neito said:

Nyet. Windows Update.
    Probably your best bet if Windows Update giving you trouble. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  • 2bfree said:

Neito said:

2bfree said:

Neito said:

Nyet. Windows Update.
    Probably your best bet if Windows Update giving you trouble. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    That's the tool that didn't work for me. Can you run that tool on a machine that is currently running Windows 7?
  • Apreche said:

2bfree said:

Neito said:

2bfree said:

Neito said:

Nyet. Windows Update.
    That's the tool that didn't work for me. Can you run that tool on a machine that is currently running Windows 7?
    I did that last night and made an ISO no problem.
  • Apreche said:

2bfree said:

Neito said:

2bfree said:

Neito said:

Nyet. Windows Update.
    Yep, Windows 7 supported. Maybe the error is due to servers getting slammed? Otherwise you can try downloading an ISO then turning the ISO into a bootable USB yourself using Microsoft's USB/DVD tool.

• Tried using the media creation tool from my Windows 7 PC.

It just errors out and says "Something Happened".

All the tech news sites were talking about how smooth and perfect Windows 10 upgrade was. Seems like it's still beta to me.