This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anti-GamerGate Appreciation Thread (Daikun Free Zone)

Comments

• Gamergate just don't like losing to girls
  • ^I didn't know there was a follow up to "How Can She Slap?"

• edited December 2014
    Nukerjsr said:

^I didn't know there was a follow up to "How Can She Slap?"

They actually continue the show after that. He doesn't win.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • edited December 2014
    Dazzle369 said:

Gamergate just don't like losing to girls

Fuck off, that has a grand total of NOTHING to do with GamerGate other than your completely incorrect assumption that GG constitutes purely of Lassie Bashers.

For the camp that is "Not stupid" about all this you lot are acting quite thick right about now.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • edited December 2014
    If they're acting thick, then teach them. For example, you bought up before about Quinn's interaction with The Fine Young Capitalists, and how what she supposedly did, namely, "wrecking their shit" - and instead of shouting at you about how you were being stupid and were tricked, I linked you back to a number of things pointing out that this isn't true, including a ton of screenshots of the emails and other interactions.
    And even mocked the anti-gamergate crowd a bit, for the habit of acting like Gonji's "The Zoe Post" is some enormous, epic tome for being 8000 words long.

Not a peep from you about that, but someone posts an obvious joke, and suddenly you're all up in arms, and pretending that the other person is making some blatantly insane claim that they obviously didn't make? Come on, don't take the piss.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Conan-San said:

Dazzle369 said:

Fuck off, that has a grand total of NOTHING to do with GamerGate other than your completely incorrect assumption that GG constitutes purely of Lassie Bashers.

For the camp that is "Not stupid" about all this you lot are acting quite thick right about now.
  • Soo I decided to ask around where GG is at its strongest 8chan. I'll take a look at what they have to say, and if it's BS I won't repost it.

Well that was a waste of time, the forum post got 404d like a day or two after I asked the question.

• What were you expecting, it's an image board, all threads die in day or two. Two days being on the slow side of things.
  • However I'd like to direct everyone's attention to the new Mega Ran song.

I think arguing about gamers, reminded me how much I love games. And I've done nothing but play Far Cry 4 and Pathfinder for the past two weeks. I really feel like the game could use a through cultural review.
  • I think arguing about gamers, reminded me how much I love games. And I've done nothing but play Far Cry 4 and Pathfinder for the past two weeks. I really feel like the game could use a through cultural review.

Hell yeah, man. That's something I've been trying to remember over time, and yeah, I've failed a few times, but I'm trying - that a lot of the people behind the whole gamergate thing are people just like me. They dig games, talking about games, and that sorta stuff.

I made the same point on Friday Night Party Line - Gamergaters, anti-Gamergate people, they're just people, man. Mostly, just people who love games, and they're passionate enough about their hobby that they'll speak up for it - sure, they may in some cases be misguided in what they say, but for those not saying fucking repugnant shit, just as I said about Anita Sarkeesian, that's something worth respecting in most cases.

Err, I will warn you about listening to that - there's not a lot of positive sentiment toward gamergate to be had in that episode. I think we could have done better, but that's a different(and probably mostly internal) discussion for another time, if we even manage to get around to one of our rare show postmortems.

Been putting down a little FC4 in my spare time, too - fuck it's fun, aye.

Don't know dick about Pathfinder, but I've been putting in some time on Secret World, and guiding my sister through it, which has been a little tricky - It's hard to strike that balance between "Pulling their fat from the fire when it gets too hot" and "Making them feel useless", especially while quietly running protection - for every groupfight she gets into with 4-5 mobs and struggles with, I'm just out of sight around the bend keeping her from getting overwhelmed by then 10+ other mobs she attracted running across the countryside.

I did okay, but still failed some - she's getting frustrated and seems to think of dying in the game as a failure, when it's not, and in some cases, it's even necessary to the quest. I think I might have fixed the problem by showing her how my vastly stronger character will still die sometimes 4-5 times in a harder quest, but I'll have to wait and see.
  • The locally owned independent game store chain had a big sale for Black Friday, so I picked up Smash, Far Cry, and Pokemon. Ohh I also got a PS4 from there over the summer, I'm assuming you have Far Cry on PC though?

I always sunk too much time into MMO's, my friends tried to get me to their level like that, but then they'd run our of membership or get tired of baby sitting me. Then I'd have a whole month with no one to play with.
  • Yep, on PC. And Secret world is good like that - it's a Buy-once model, rather than a subscription, so at least you don't have to worry too much about the whole "how much time left on my subscription" dealie.

But, this may not be the place for that discussion, we'll pick it up later in other threads.
  • sK0pe said:

Conan-San said:

Dazzle369 said:

Nice orange, but we're talking about apples being compared to grapes.
  • Conan-San said:

sK0pe said:

Conan-San said:

Dazzle369 said:

Nice orange, but we're talking about apples being compared to grapes.
    I know right, I still don't know what you're talking about.
  • To me, GGers sound like American Christians that scream "oppression" when someone says "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." Real religious oppression exists, just as unethical journalism exists, but it doesn't exist within this context.

Buy your games, read the game reviewers you like, and move on with your life.
  • Buy your games, read the game reviewers you like, and move on with your life.

For real.
  • GamerGate presenting itself on on Al Jazeera. Can you spot the problem?

Here's the full report.
  • edited December 2014
    Goddamned right I can, $2.60 a gallon, that's just nuts.

Edit - Also that guy's pronunciation of "Protagonists."
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I kinda have to address this quote from the girl gamergater.
    I think a lot of people were pretty offended... it was a flat out assumption that anyone who played videogames was a misogynistic and oppressing women.
    You can tackle that in two directions.
    The first is that as a medium, women are, in fact, underrepresented in video games. When they are present they, by in large, play very set roles: medic, damsel in distress, sex object... you know the list. They are hardly ever protagonists. You can look at this and say, "Well, if gamergaters want to maintain the status quo, then they must (if not explicitly, then at least tacitly) believe that this is how women should be portrayed and, thus, how women should be in real life. Ergo, Gamergaters are misogynists and wish to oppress women.

The second way is from an audience centric perspective. Outsiders looking in look at games like GTA and see the vast majority of women in it are either pedestrian carmageddon fodder or strippers in the club. They look at COD and see basically no women. The look at most AAA titles and see women in either supporting or subservient, or straight up sexualizing roles. If we, as an audience are playing those games and, through economic forces, encouraging those games, those roles that women portray can be seen as what we want unless we say and act otherwise.

And then that shmuck tried to spin the death threats against Brianna Wu as a good thing. Oy vey.
  • Churba said:

That's a pretty damn good price for petrol man (relative to how much we pay).
  • sK0pe said:

Churba said:

That's a pretty damn good price for petrol man (relative to how much we pay).
    Exactly, it's crazy low. I need to start getting people to mail me petrol from the US.
  • It's gone way down. It was $3.60 a gallon when I left in March.
  • $2.54 here last time I checked, not complaining.
  • $2.75 is low around here.
  • Actually, it's about ethics in gasoline journalism.
  • I found it amusing that Anita Sarkeesian made the top 50 most influential people on the Verge.
    If GamerGators didn't exist she wouldn't have even been considered.
  • sK0pe said:

I found it amusing that Anita Sarkeesian made the top 50 most influential people on the Verge.
    If GamerGators didn't exist she wouldn't have even been considered.

I don't know about that. She'd already made a name for herself. I am also reluctant to hand over any credit for her success to a group associated with threatening her life. She is and has been influential in her own right since her Kickstarter project and Ted Talk.
  • I don't know about that. She'd already made a name for herself. I am also reluctant to hand over any credit for her success to a group associated with threatening her life. She is and has been influential in her own right since her Kickstarter project and Ted Talk.

Well, the problem there is that the most inaccurate part is that it's GamerGate. Her success really is largely because of the fame gained by people attacking her and initial kickstarter en masse, before that she was an utterly obscure youtube media critic, lost in a sea of youtube media critics. Even her kickstarter was pretty much completely unknown, until people started attacking it.

Once she gained that prominence, she held on to it just fine with her own efforts, but it's really the case that without the people attacking her, threatening her life and making a big hooplah about the whole thing, she probably would have remained in relative obscurity.