This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anti-GamerGate Appreciation Thread (Daikun Free Zone)

Comments

• It does come off as "Why do you care? It's not important to me so it shouldn't be important to anyone."
  • I'd say it comes more off as: look we've got 2 problems, my video drivers hiccup every now and then and cause frame rate drops, and my motherboard is physically on fire.

Scott is saying if you're gonna talk problems with that computer, lets begin by addressing the fire. You however seem fixated on that driver issue.
  • edited August 2016
    I think it's more like: look we've got 2 problems, my video drivers hiccup every now and then and cause frame rate drops, and a large rodent lives in my computer case and bites me every time I try to turn on the computer. But it ignores me if I poke it with a stick, so it's not my problem now.
    Post edited by HalfmoonHex on
  • Well, Scott is also very bad at making arguments that aren't "everyone who disagrees with me is wrong and stupid" generalizations.
  • Churba said:

Well, that's perfectly reasonable. I mean, you're a ghost piloting a spooky skeleton wrapped in a meat suit, you're on the inside of the whole thing man!

You're a monster.
    That is more correct than I suspect you will ever know. But still, I joke, since I thought you were joking - if that's genuinely something you believe, I don't intend to mock that, and we'll say no more on the issue unless you wish to.
  • I think it's more like: look we've got 2 problems, my video drivers hiccup every now and then and cause frame rate drops, and a large rodent lives in my computer case and bites me every time I try to turn on the computer. But it ignores me if I poke it with a stick, so it's not my problem now.

That rodent is definitely a problem and just because it's not actively biting you doesn't mean you shouldn't deal with right the fuck now.

So yea, that probably was a better analogy.

• Is everyone satisfied then? I think I'd like to take another two year vacation from this website.
  • Is everyone satisfied then? I think I'd like to take another two year vacation from this website.

Is now the time when we make memes about you?
  • I'm never satisfied, but you do you.
  • Not gonna lie, I got tired of the repetition about 3 pages ago and just skipped to here.

Halfmoon... Bruv......

I've had shit self esteem my entire life. I was verbally, emotionally, and psychologically abused until I left my parents house at age 20. I see many of the same things in your posts so I believe your self proclamation to fragile ego and whatnot. What I want to let you know is that your saying that out loud will do no good.

At best you get some short term favor from people. You don't help yourself, you don't help anyone around you who has to listen to it. I know it can help you feel better for a second but that's all it is. Poor self esteem and low self confidence are only improved by taking steps to not be that way anymore.

Just my $0.02.

Now to matters a bit more on point.

Scott couldn't have laid it out any better. The FRCF is a marketplace of ideas. Those ideas are debated, dismantled, dissected, and many other D words. Stop trying to make this about YOU when it's about this ONE OPINION you say is but refuse to defend.

This isn't a matter of debate like "Ketchup is the best condiment on Earth" or "Bobby Slaton is funny and Robin Williams is not". GG, for whatever else people tried to make it about, was made to be anti-woman. Like it or not.

If you can logically and factually prove that it is not, I'm sure everyone here will listen. Until then, these stunts like diverting the issue or asking for assurance your ideas won't get mocked are preposterous.

Defend your assertion or stand defeated in the marketplace of FRCF ideas.
  • Andrew said:

Is now the time when we make memes about you?

Please don't. I do kind of like confession bear memes when they end with an actual video of a bear.
  • Hey there. I rarely post on the forum these days, but it took me the entirety of my commute home to read this crazy thread. I probably shouldn't even partake in this gongshow, but it was such a spectacular flamewar that I had to come warm my hands by it.

So, what do you want out of this discussion? At first, it seemed like you wanted to convince Rym and Scott--and by extension the forum as a whole--that Gamergate had worthwhile elements despite its well-known history of targeting women. We told you what we want out of the argument, but I'm still unclear as to your goal.

Let me tell you something, There is hardly one among us who has not been tempered in the fires of an FRC flamewar, and I can think of a few people in this very thread--myself included--who have argued positions with which many participants disagreed. That is par for the course. Although the general sentiment of the forum was against your specific idea (Gamergate), they have given you ample opportunity to present your evidence, and make a compelling case for your views. You repeatedly squandered these openings. There has been very little in the way of ad hominem attacks against you, and you consistently mistake criticism of your ideas and your current behavior as bullying.

We do not, however, attack you as a person. I cannot speak for all of us here, but I view you simply as having the basic worth of all living humans, and living organisms to greater or lesser extent. You live, that's all. Any further judgement I make will be reserved for the way you conduct yourself online and the ideas you espouse.

So here. I am explicitly giving you an opening to present your idea to me. I have already told you that I afford you the worth of an unknown person in my treatment of you. You can answer Kate's question, or you can not, it's up to you.
  • This is my first FRC flamewar, and I've quite enjoyed it, I saw people getting exasperated and thought, I must be the one who's young, scrappy, and hungry here. Kinda sucks I was in the majority though. I'd like to test my mettle against these seasoned veterans, if for no other reason than to "git gud" myself.
  • Naoza said:

This is my first FRC flamewar, and I've quite enjoyed it, I saw people getting exasperated and thought, I must be the one who's young, scrappy, and hungry here. Kinda sucks I was in the majority though. I'd like to test my mettle against these seasoned veterans, if for no other reason than to "git gud" myself.

Truth be told, thanks to a decade of watching and participating in frc flamewars I was able to get the edge in presenting my arguments that I suspect was one of the things that helped me skip my last two years of high school and go straight to college.

So hey, ya'll did good. :wink:
  • Naoza said:

This is my first FRC flamewar, and I've quite enjoyed it, I saw people getting exasperated and thought, I must be the one who's young, scrappy, and hungry here. Kinda sucks I was in the majority though. I'd like to test my mettle against these seasoned veterans, if for no other reason than to "git gud" myself.

This was my experience.

• Naoza said:

I'll say that after modding Reddit for almost a decade, I've more or less become immune to any flamewar that doesn't end with a death threat.
  • Neito said:

I'll say that after modding Reddit for almost a decade, I've more or less become immune to any flamewar that doesn't end with a death threat.

Then again, your subreddit is a huge blog that already has quite a...reputation, not that it has to do with you. :lol:

But that's really just reddit's modus operandi, even the small /r/burningwheel has had it's fare share of shitflinging.
  • Gravity is a myth.
  • edited August 2016

Nukerjsr said:

Most people go "There are problems and there are sexists."

That's what I wanted to hear, have a nice day.
    But, again, to what "problems in entertainment media" are you refering? Just agreeing that problems exist in a major industry that encompasses other smaller, but still major industries is functionally meaningless.

Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Hi, I get back from deployment, having already been a newbie to this forum anyway, and I see this. I think like this place! So exciting! I love spectacle! I'ma just watch this go down and scream for blood from the sidelines.

You want to know a secret, mate? Insofar as something could be secret when you can find it pretty easily on this forum - Axel and I had a blazing row about this very thing, back in the early days of GG. Honestly, I thought Eron Gonji had been poorly treated, and had a real point under all the bitterness, and the obvious trying to lash out at his ex. His actions later showed me that I was wrong, but hey, I'm still here. If that's not proof positive that we don't hate you for what you think, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I do have to say though - I think taking a bit of a short break, as amp put it, a smoke and a bev or the like, have a bit of a relax, come back to it later, that's a good idea. Prioritize yourself over this stupid argument - you are more important than talking bollocks on the internet. If you need to take a few and get yourself in order, nobody will think less of you for it, no shame in that whatsoever.

• Gravity is a myth.

Not this shit again! We spoke about this on twitter!
  • Other than that I don't have anything to say on them unless you want a "Things Anita Sarkisian said that were inaccurate" video.

Are her works in any way related to gamergate's crusade for ethics? Why did gamergate attack her so fervently? Were those attacks justified? Why do you support gamergate re: the stance on her works?

Same questions re: Zoe Quinn.
  • Rym said:

Other than that I don't have anything to say on them unless you want a "Things Anita Sarkisian said that were inaccurate" video.

Are her works in any way related to gamergate's crusade for ethics? Why did gamergate attack her so fervently? Were those attacks justified? Why do you support gamergate re: the stance on her works?
    The moment Anita made a significant amount of money on her Kickstarter, was when the attacks started with her. A lot of people already think that youtubing is basically the cyber-version of playing an instrument on a street corner with a hat for loose change. The fact Anita made $100,000+ just for the promise of a series of talking head videos. That's what put the Army of Mordor on the march. It was naked jealousy mixed with misogyny, nothing more than that.
  • edited August 2016
    I wrote up a, my first interaction with GG and deleted it, but I'll write it again because the bank I'm on the phone with is really slow. Basically the first time I saw anything GG related there was a thread on reddit saying: This Anita character took a significant amount of kickstarter money and has produced nothing, she's stolen her backers' monies! I did 0 research, got pretty angry and moved on with my day, took no action, just added it to the pile of bad things in the world.

Months later the video came out and I watched it and found it boring. Bunches of response videos came out and they all seemed angry, but I wasn't. Moviebob made a thing about it and I found myself wholeheartedly agreeing, she had valid criticism and the world was a better place for it being pointed out, even if, which I don't concede, some of it was inaccurate. It was only really at this point I did any research and saw just how awfully she was being treated, and how much bigger it was than just her. How women and their defenders were being harassed and doxxed, bomb threats, job losses, legal action, the whole shebang.

I felt sick to my stomach for even THINKING they had a point at one time. I literally got mad at myself for thought crime. I normally think thought crime is reserved for church so I kinda hate that I was mad at myself for it. So yeah, I rolled around in the mud early on. Thankfully nobody saw, and I'm sure ashamed of it today. It made me more diligent when I read random strangers on the internet.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • edited August 2016
    I remember back when this all first happened, I was reading some comments on some gaming blog I followed. They were all so outraged about Zoe Quinn! I didn't know who she was, but boy did it seem like everyone was quite mad so she must have done something really bad. I think a lot of people got fooled at this point, no shame in that. You didn't have both sides of the picture.

What really troubles me is abuse of English that takes place with Gamergaters. Stuff like "professional victim" is just so insidious. It supports the us vs them attitude they have, instead of trying to work together to fix whatever supposed problems they have. It allows them to forget the fact that they are harassing real people by personifying then into something they are not. I can't get over how disgustingly manipulative their vocabulary is. It's so much easier to internalize hatred when your perspective is marred by Gamergate labels.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • I remember those early days. I had to advise multiple conventions not to give those people panels (they were pushing hard early on) simply for the fact that the staff weren't aware of what gamergate actually was. I spent a lot of time explaining to people who might otherwise have been duped early on what the "movement" was actually about.

Fortunately, everyone figured it out within a couple months, especially when the "alt-right" started getting a lot of press as being a primary instigator.
  • Via that ABC's show Good Game:

• RymRym
    edited August 2016
    Remember that the very beginning of this thread was started (with a different name) by someone who basically immediately started defending gamergate. This was right after Intel was tricked into pulling advertising over it.

Post edited by Rym on
  • Still not sure if that was the actual Jason Pullara, a.k.a. LordKaT from That Guy with the Glass and Until We Win (which I used to watch) or just an impersonator. However, since Pullara has put himself on the side of GG it wouldn't be too far fetched. Not sure why he would just show up here though but he fucked off rather quickly too.