This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anti-GamerGate Appreciation Thread (Daikun Free Zone)

Comments

• You do have your blind spots, though, mainly centering around your insistence that your knowledge, interpretation, and perspective is correct and (most) complete.
    Apreche said:

I read it way way faster and more efficiently than anyone I've ever met.

Cognitive bias much?

Thinking you know everything(/the most) is the root of ignorance.
  • edited August 2016
    Was Amazing Atheist less shitty about 6 years ago, or was I just a dumb teenager?

Nevermind I did a bit of research and yeah he was always shitty, although maybe less of it leaked into his videos back then.

Rape isn't fatal. So imagine my indignation when I saw a chatroom called "Rape Survivors." Is this supposed to impress me? Someone fucked you when you didn't want to be fucked and you're amazed that you survived? Unless he used a chainsaw instead of his dick, what's the big deal? I don’t mean to be horrendously offensive and insensitive here, but everyone survives rape. The word survivor applies to people who are alive after being stabbed 73 times with an ice pick or mauled by rabid wolverines, not to a woman who gets dick when she doesn't want it. Just because you got raped, you have to rape the English language? You vindictive bitch! Also, don't you ever get tired of being the victim? How many failed relationships are you going to blame on a single violation of your personal space?
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • edited August 2016
    But don't worry:

This was a piece designed to motivate rape victims to not allow their victimhood to oppress them - to encourage them not to dwell on past events and move on with their lives. Why is it worded so offensively? Because when I wrote it I was a stupid twenty-two year old who had at this point only ever socialized with other people on online message boards, where this was simply how we talked. Not to mention it's supposed to be a humorous piece, in the same vein of shock humor as Bill Maher's party costume. In retrospect, I too find the piece overly callous and I would not write it today. But I did write it, and I don't apologize for it. It was how I felt at the time, and I really don't think the message of moving on from trauma is a negative one. I've been told by several rape victims that this piece actually motivated them to move on with their lives. I have yet to be told by one victim that it increased their trauma.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • Apreche said:

I have to also honestly say that my personal perspective is also skewed by the sheer amount of Internet that I read. I read almost everything. I spend most of my day at work reading Internet, and I read it way way faster and more efficiently than anyone I've ever met.

I don't know what Internet you're actually reading, because you mostly don't seem to know about much that's happening.
  • You do have your blind spots, though, mainly centering around your insistence that your knowledge, interpretation, and perspective is correct and (most) complete.

Apreche said:

I read it way way faster and more efficiently than anyone I've ever met.

Cognitive bias much?

Rym said:

Apreche said:

I have to also honestly say that my personal perspective is also skewed by the sheer amount of Internet that I read. I read almost everything. I spend most of my day at work reading Internet, and I read it way way faster and more efficiently than anyone I've ever met.

I don't know what Internet you're actually reading, because you mostly don't seem to know about much that's happening.
    I don't know everything everything, just all the important things in life. Everything on the cyberspace newswire. I don't waste time with your garbage meatspace news.
  • Ikatono said:

FLAMING GARBAGE
    Those quotes made my skin crawl. I'd put them in spoiler tags (does that exist on this forum? I forget.) just because they could definitely be triggering.
  • bbcode spoiler tags work.

That horrific sentiment is pretty common among the alt-right, MRAs, gamergaters, etc... They're not just casually misogynist through status quo ignorance: they're actively and calculatedly trying to undermine women as a class.

I've read their forums. I've poked around in their videos. They're far more insidious than most people could possibly imagine. Theyfeign ignorance outside of their safe circles, but in public they'll quote verbatim talking points from places like redpill.

Multiple people I've interviewed about joining our staff at a con, I've denied just because they used words that really only come from the inner circle of this shit.
  • This is the second time ever I've come across Amazing Atheist, I remember the last time was in a positive context. I think he was defending the "ground 0 mosque" and he had, on that issue, the correct stance and charismatically made his point.

I guess he's a shithead.
  • From what I've seen he was a real shithead, then started to mellow out, and now he's back on the shithead upswing.
  • edited August 2016
    Now, something happened in the last 5 or so minutes, I was about to write up a post about how while Mr.AAtheist, was abrasive and a shithead, he had a point. But then I thought maybe I should google a bit and see if I'm wrong. So I googled and read this. He does not have a point and is just spewing alt-right garbage. Moreover it takes very little research to not make an idiot of yourself. Take note EVERYONE EVER.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Sometimes I want to see how these people live their lives day to day. I'm always curious if it might make sense on why they're so awful.
  • Naoza said:

Now, something happened in the last 5 or so minutes, I was about to write up a post about how while Mr.AAtheist, was abrasive and a shithead, he had a point. But then I thought maybe I should google a bit and see if I'm wrong. So I googled and read this. He does not have a point and is just spewing alt-right garbage. Moreover it takes very little research to not be an idiot of yourself. Take note EVERYONE EVER.

The byline on that article is "Gwendolyn Wu"
  • pence said:

Naoza said:

Now, something happened in the last 5 or so minutes, I was about to write up a post about how while Mr.AAtheist, was abrasive and a shithead, he had a point. But then I thought maybe I should google a bit and see if I'm wrong. So I googled and read this. He does not have a point and is just spewing alt-right garbage. Moreover it takes very little research to not be an idiot of yourself. Take note EVERYONE EVER.

The byline on that article is "Gwendolyn Wu"
    I think he meant the article goes against the point AA was trying to make (or claimed he was trying to make), and that AA didn't even have a nugget of truth buried in that steaming turd.
  • Ahh ok, that makes a lot more sense.
  • edited August 2016
    Rym said:

I disapprove of anyone who does not have an inquisitive, introspective, and critical mindset.

Agreed.

I would generally distrust their opinions, would avoid any prolonged conversation with them, etc...
    Ditto.

Cognitive bias much?

This. So much this.

I have worked with one attorney who takes the approach that no one could possibly know the law or his files better than he does. He asked me to draft a motion for summary judgment based on an assumption he had about our client's activities. When I pointed out that there was no backing for his assumption and that we should clarify with the client, he was insulted and quite rude. I drafted the MJS as requested, but also emailed our client. It turns out that his assumption was incorrect and, had I not done any additional digging, he would have wasted time, money, an opportunity for summary judgement (there was a looming deadline), and (worst of all) the Court's time.

Accepting the limitations of one's existing knowledge and continually prodding the edges to define said limitations is the first step toward correcting one's ignorance. You can see the shore without knowing the ocean's other limits and contents.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Once again, the MRA/Gamergate "Puppies" failed to ruin the Hugo Awards. That being said, the longer this goes on, the more the Hugos are discredited and not taken seriously.

Right-Wing Activists Fail to Ruin the Hugo Awards; Fiction Categories Swept by Women
  • Nah - it takes two years for the Hugos to change their rules, so I'm pretty sure that the rule changes after the first one are taking effect for the next round of Hugos, which should put a lid on the whole thing quite tidily.
  • If the Hugos want respect, they should at least change their method of picking winners to be more like the Eisners.
  • I made the mistake of reading some YouTube comments on a video dealing with masculinity. Apparently MRA-types consider child support a form of slavery. I'm betting dollars to donuts that these are the same people who decry welfare programs as undermining "personal responsibility" despite they themselves attempting to enable the nullification of one of the most fundamental forms of personal responsibility: The requirement that a parent take care of their offspring.
  • chaosof99 said:

Apparently MRA-types consider child support a form of slavery.

What if the father has primary custody and is entitled to child support from the mother. Would MRAs still see it as "slavery." Also, if someone doesn't want to pay child support, said person can opt to use protection or relinquish all parental rights/custody. Ignorance and bigotry/sexism/bias are making me want to eject myself from the human race.

• Is that really an option? Eschew the child completely? Like make yourself legally childless and make the child legally fatherless?
  • Once again, the MRA/Gamergate "Puppies" failed to ruin the Hugo Awards. That being said, the longer this goes on, the more the Hugos are discredited and not taken seriously.

Right-Wing Activists Fail to Ruin the Hugo Awards; Fiction Categories Swept by Women

I was actually really rooting for a Chuck Tingle win, so that Zoe Quinn could accept the Hugo on his behalf.

• chaosof99 said:

Apparently MRA-types consider child support a form of slavery.

What if the father has primary custody and is entitled to child support from the mother. Would MRAs still see it as "slavery."
    No, then it's just "The bitch getting what she deserved". It came up a few years ago somewhere on /r/SubredditDrama (I think) linking to /r/MensRights or /r/Redpill or some shit.
  • making me want to eject myself from the human race.

*hits eject button* NOT WORKING KATE T_T
  • Naoza said:

Is that really an option? Eschew the child completely? Like make yourself legally childless and make the child legally fatherless?

It depends on the state. I don't think that works in Georgia or Florida. That being said Florida has some bizarre laws on child support, unless they've changed recently, so I could be wrong there.
  • edited August 2016
    I think I misunderstood your question now that I've reread it. Yes, in effectively all states you can do just that, make the child legally fatherless.

As for the child support side I Googled a bit more and it appears that it's extremely difficult to get a judge to link a father giving up their rights to a child and that father's obligation to support that child. It seems most states have either separated the two entirely, require a judge to agree based their judgement of the situation, or require that a stepparent be adopting the child for them to be linked.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Ya know what, that seems the most happy medium. Good job, states. Or at least the law writers of states, the interpreters of said law remains to be seen.
  • edited August 2016

making me want to eject myself from the human race.

*hits eject button* NOT WORKING KATE T_T
    You mean you can't turn me into another species? If anyone's sheer force of will could reshape reality, it would be yours. I guess I am SOL.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • So I found this via twitter, but be warned, it is rather gruesome (not graphically but still): A Jewish Trump supporter declares his allegiance to the Alt-Right. He explains that he believes that traditional conservatism his ham-handed and co-opted by neo-cons and liberalism is stuck in "PC culture" he believes to undermine itself and be detrimental to jews, mostly because they allow muslim immigration.

Then in the comments he gets it from both sides. The alt-right supporters yell at him to fuck off because the literally hate him because of his ethnicity and yes, they are simply a white nationalist group, and the liberals show that the reasons why he rejects them are idiotic.

Seriously, this is guy might just be the dumbest "I am very smart" motherfucker on the planet.