This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anti-GamerGate Appreciation Thread (Daikun Free Zone)

Comments

• edited August 2016
    The comments won't load for me on that site. It's probably for the best in the end, but I've never seen a site just refuse to work on Firefox like that.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • My opinion on how Otakon is run was pretty low to begin with, but them having scheduled a gamergate panel this year, I'm not even going to bother submitting panels anymore.

• The last AWO touched on this. Said this year was kinda lukewarm as otakons go. Maybe something about the city change? Who knows, I stopped going upon going to my first non anime con. I imagine most people who go to a non anime con would do the same.
  • The day we hit our first PAX, we mostly lost interest in almost all of the anime cons we'd previously attended.

Now it's just Anime Boston. That's the only pure anime con we ever perform at.
  • I feel like I'm always missing something with this group of people. What the fuck did Bioshock and Resident Evil do now?
  • MATATAT said:

I feel like I'm always missing something with this group of people. What the fuck did Bioshock and Resident Evil do now?

They had HD remakes. I got some of the RE ones. I heard the Bioshock ones are worse than the originals due to actually decreasing the music quality and other things.
  • edited September 2016
    Well it says something about their "political philosophies". Bioshock's political philosophy is "trying to create a utopia most likely will not work" and Resident Evil doesn't have any expressly political philosophies. Maybe you could glean some from their "evil corporation" but it's the most cliche shit ever.

Unless they're trying to equate societies goal of a standard equality among all people as utopic, then that's just hilariously dumb.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Rym said:

The day we hit our first PAX, we mostly lost interest in almost all of the anime cons we'd previously attended.

Now it's just Anime Boston. That's the only pure anime con we ever perform at.

I've kinda lost interest in AB as well. I can't pull puerto rico out of my backpack and have a game in 2 minutes at AB. The AB arcade is baby's first compared to MAG. And worst of all, there's only one (set of) panel(s) I'm interested in going to at AB, and it's yours. Like I'm having a hard time caring, I guess, about anime cons in general.
  • I stopped going to anime cons years ago because everything I used to go for, I can get with less expense and hassle at home on the internet.
    1. Dealer's are out priced by online services.
    2. There are no items I want to get.
    3. All anime I desire to watch I either own, or can readily steam.
    4. I don't care about cosplay.
    5. There are literally no panels that interest me anymore, and most end up being "I like this one thing a lot". (Present company excluded)
    6. Time and money.
  • edited September 2016
    Patreon and online services now exists making artists alleys a hassle too. Besides, I think I've come out with more bad experiences meeting artists and guests in person than good ones.

Gaming convenientions I'm still all about though.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • edited September 2016

Patreon and online services now exists making artists alleys a hassle too. Besides, I think I've come out with more bad experiences meeting artists and guests in person than good ones.

On the upside, it is opening up a lot of spaces for indie artists(who may or may not have enough of a following that a Patreon would help them) to get in, which is nice.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I went to Otakon in 2013 to see a concert. I would consider going to an anime con to exclusively see a live performer I wanted to see. Other than that, it's of no use to me. My brother and his friends go, but they are cosplayers and are looking to get photos and just have fun.
  • Rym said:

My opinion on how Otakon is run was pretty low to begin with, but them having scheduled a gamergate panel this year, I'm not even going to bother submitting panels anymore.

I managed to get into Tabletop staffing and I also didn't go this year because my back went out. So I can't say what happened here, since I'm not part of panels any more.

Also Otakon is becoming less and less relevant in my life, for similar reason other people have stated. Plus something happened this year that royally screwed someone over I liked, which I didn't particularly care for.
  • So maybe it's the fact that I am up at 3 AM (clock reads 2 AM but that's the fucking DST being turned off) waiting for the 3rd period of a hockey game without having slept since getting up at 7AM the previous day, but a weird thought shot through my head:

Isn't it completely at odds that most of these neo-fascistic 4-chan trolls fetishize japanese cartoons and often also asian women? Isn't that completely at odds with their "white genocide", anti-immigrant, anti-race-mixing attitude they espouse?
  • chaosof99 said:

So maybe it's the fact that I am up at 3 AM (clock reads 2 AM but that's the fucking DST being turned off) waiting for the 3rd period of a hockey game without having slept since getting up at 7AM the previous day, but a weird thought shot through my head:

Isn't it completely at odds that most of these neo-fascistic 4-chan trolls fetishize japanese cartoons and often also asian women? Isn't that completely at odds with their "white genocide", anti-immigrant, anti-race-mixing attitude they espouse?

Most of the justifications I've seen from racist weebs is either something like "asians are alright though" or "as long as you don't have any kids with her." So their dream is basically to marry their Japanese waifu and adopt a white kid.
  • So their dream is basically to marry their Japanese waifu and adopt a white kid.

*shudder*
  • edited October 2016
    Here's what you have to understand about that kind of person. They haven't come up with some system of morals based on logical consistency. They simply assume their personal feelings represent the truth. They want the world to shape itself to cater to their desires. All their arguments are just fabrications to justify and validate their feelings.

They feel uncomfortable near, and afraid of, people with non-white skin, funny accents, or different customs. Therefore, they come up with reasons that those people should be dead, subjugated, segregated, etc. They feel aroused when seeing beautiful people despite them being non-white. Therefore, they come up with a reason that it's OK to have sex with such people.

Just because one of their feelings conflicts with one of their justifications for another feeling isn't a problem. They will make up or find an explanation as to why the world should revolve around them. That's the mind of a barbarian. There isn't much to it.

If they personally find apples very tasty, they will come up with a reason that everyone should worship and eat apples. If they find apples disgusting, they will find a reason that apples should never be eaten, and all apple trees should be burned to the ground.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • There is also the argument that anime characters are drawn to look Caucasian, which is probably used and spread most by those kind of people. That bullshit not only makes the anime waifu perfectly white it also creates even worse argument claiming that white people are so superior that even Japanese make their cartoons look that way.
  • There's also the fact that their sexual interest in someone is not indicative at all of respect. White people have been sexually abusing races they considered lesser for a long-ass time. To fetishize Asian women is not to suddenly no longer be a flaming racist who thinks that the races shouldn't mix.
  • Wild discussion topics incoming!

"Blacklists" and Reviewer "Wild Cards"

Some publishers including EA, Konami, and Bethesda are deciding to withhold games from reviewers or only giving them to them the day it comes out in Bethesda's case. Some reviewers that could potentially damage the image of the game are not given copies at all. Often instead of review copies being given to reviewers they're given to paid hype men i.e. popular Twitch streamers and Youtube personalities who won't look at the game critically.

What do you guys think? Is this a victory to Gamergate or a defeat? Is this a victory to anti-Gamergaters?
  • What do you guys think? Is this a victory to Gamergate or a defeat? Is this a victory to anti-Gamergaters?

It's a "victory" for nobody except the publisher who can push products that are not properly tested and will often have deficiencies which will require post-release fixing. Day-1 patches are way too common these days and should not be a good practice.

As for how this plays out in the context of GamerGate: This should be something GamerGate should be against as it is undermining the customers ability to assess a product before purchase. Instead what I have seen GamerGate-types cheer it because it screws with reviewers they don't like (alongside everybody else). It's actually in my opinion a great point to illustrate how GamerGate is not a consumer-advocacy group as it often has attempted to portray itself, but simply a group of vindictive crybabies that wants to punish people for having a different opinion from them.
  • chaosof99 said:

Instead what I have seen GamerGate-types cheer it because it screws with reviewers they don't like

Do you have a link? I'm generally having trouble finding conversations about this besides Jim Sterling's fanbase.
  • Having actually given this guy the time of day, I can say I don't think this has much to do with gomergoat.
  • edited November 2016

chaosof99 said:

Instead what I have seen GamerGate-types cheer it because it screws with reviewers they don't like

Do you have a link? I'm generally having trouble finding conversations about this besides Jim Sterling's fanbase.
    Well, the forum just two of my posts, I assume because of the link so I cut it out. Went to /r/KotakuInAction (only because you asked) and searched for "Bethesda" where I found a thread from 8 days ago about a video by TotalBiscuit discussing the same thing. A bit more of a mixed bag than I said it was, possibly because it's one of GamerGate's chosen prophets raising the issue, but there are still some doozies in there which have been very much upvoted.

Checked some other threads on KotakuInAction about the issue and a lot are far more tilted to saying this is a good move. Would link but the forum seems to eat them.

P.S. I only went to KotakuInAction because of this. I admit that most of my previous contact to the sentiment from GamerGate was on twitter where people retweeted or screenshoted the gamergaters in a "look at this idiot" fashion.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Cheaty post because I am a cheaty fuck

np (dot) reddit (dot) com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/59jn3l/totalbiscuit_talks_about_bethesdas_new_review/

np (dot) reddit (dot) com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/5afpia/techraptor_review_copies_and_you_techraptors/

np (dot) reddit (dot) com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/59hbgn/bethesda_will_not_send_out_early_review_copies/
  • edited November 2016
    I don't think GamerGaters really care simply for the fact how they try to gauge reviews on "objectiveness" when anyone who understands fact/opinion knows that all reviews are subjective. As long as a game doesn't have any political/social mantra they disagree with, they don't care what business or distribution practices a company has.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Nukerjsr said:

I don't think GamerGaters really care simply for the fact how they try to gauge reviews on "objectiveness" when anyone who understands fact/opinion knows that all reviews are subjective.

It's the classic Reddit train of thought - anything can be objective, because objective just means what I agree with. If I agree with the conclusion, it must be objectively true, if I disagree, it must be objectively wrong.i'm not saying it's wrong, it just is wrong.
  • I really don't understand all the hate for reddit I see around here. It is exactly what you want it to be, no more no less. When I was still at RIT it was extremely liberal, so much so it was a bit of a turn off, as it grew in popularity it became more of a mixed bag. But as it changed people with any sense changed too and unsubbed from basically all default subs and made a nice little place to see interesting stuff for themselves.

In my little custom experience I never see this "classic reddit train of thought" Churba mentions. If someone says something is objective truth when it isn't they get called the fuck out.
  • It feels to me like on most subreddits I've visited that aren't designed to be liberal, the mentality is basically "Free speech forever go fuck yourself" in so far as acting like a douche. If you post anything suggesting a person shouldn't say something terrible, people just say you're being whiny and downvote you. At least, that's my experience.